Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Hyatt/Starwood - have free Gold, worth it for Diamond/Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold

Hi there,

I've read the many posts comparing Hyatt Diamond to Starwood Platinum status, and it seems that almost everyone in the threads are big business travelers. I haven't seen a comparison of the following situation, though, and would appreciate any links or pointers:

I am close to accepting a new position that would require me to travel to one specific location approximately once a month for 3-4 nights at a time. The location has a Westin, a Hyatt Place, and a Hyatt House all fairly nearby, and I will have my choice of where to stay on my trips. The Westin is the best located, but I have yet to look at the various amenities/rooms/etc. offered at the three.

I expect to also have trips to fairly random locations where I can generally choose to stay at either a Hyatt, Starwood property, or some local property, generally 1-2 times a month for 2 nights at a time. No personal trips planned at the moment but am eyeing some for this fall and next summer.

I currently have Starwood Gold status through the Amex Platinum credit card, and Starwood points only through the credit cards (and a handful of stays earlier this year). I have a minimal amount of points at Hyatt, but have many Chase UR points that I can transfer to Hyatt.

I am considering applying for the Hyatt Diamond challenge, stay 12 nights in 60 days at my work location to get Hyatt status, and then stay at the Westin thereafter due to its proximity, at least in 2014, and re-evaluate for requalification in 2015. I should then have Hyatt Diamond until February 2016 and Starwood Gold.

Does this plan make sense or am I missing something? I probably can travel enough in one year to get top tier at only one of the brands, and I'm trying to figure out if the incremental benefit of Starwood Platinum over Starwood Gold is better than the incremental benefit of Hyatt Diamond over Hyatt Gold. My sense is that I should lock up Hyatt Diamond via a challenge, and enjoy my free Starwood Gold. Any guidance?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I would go for the Hyatt Diamond challenge and re-evaluate. Many people in your situation would consider changing hotels every night to maximize ("hotel-hopping").
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I would go for the Hyatt Diamond challenge and re-evaluate. Many people in your situation would consider changing hotels every night to maximize ("hotel-hopping").
Ah, I see. To maintain Hyatt Diamond status, I just need 25 stays or 50 nights. If I hope each night between two Hyatts, it's easier to get the stays than the nights by far. Good idea.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the Westin have a lounge? if so, staying there all the time would seem to me to be a slam dunk over a Hyatt Place or Hyatt House, although Hyatt House might be an OK compromise for extended stays.

If you go with SPG, remember that PlatMinus is very different from Plat50.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the Westin have a lounge? if so, staying there all the time would seem to me to be a slam dunk over a Hyatt Place or Hyatt House, although Hyatt House might be an OK compromise for extended stays.
That.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

No lounge at the Westin. Thanks MSPeconomist, it seems that the PlatMinus status is pretty weak.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you go with SPG, remember that PlatMinus is very different from Plat50.
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Thanks MSPeconomist, it seems that the PlatMinus status is pretty weak.
Really?! Based on what?

The only benefit of Plat50 from Platinum are the 10 Suite Night Awards (SNA).

As a Plat50 and from what appears like consensus on FT, the Starwood SNAs are of limited value. Often, an upgrade would have been received with or without using the SNA, and if an upgrade is not going to be given, it makes no difference if an SNA is used.

Unless and until there is some evidence that properties process suite upgrades based on status something like First Lifetime Platinum, then Plat100, then Plat75, then Plat50, and finally Platinum, then there might be some justice to the idea that there is a huge difference by obtaining Plat50. I have yet to see any such evidence.

I am happy to be SPG Platinum any which way it comes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.