Search

Earning miles for redeeming Award Points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:20 am
Used to be ' simz '
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Earning miles for redeeming Award Points

I couldn't find a definitive thread or post on this, hence starting a new thread..

I was wondering, do we earn airlines miles or hotel points for any reservation that is done through a travel portal associated with a reward account..

For e.g.- will i get miles for booking an award ticket using Amex MR on the Amex MR Travel site.. and so on..

I found 5 such award currencies and was wondering what is the answer for each of these..also, how do the award chart for these line up..

Once I have a response for each of these, I could put this on a wiki for others to refer too.. I know I want to know, so I guess there are others..

The 5 programs I found are:

1. Capital One No Hassle Award - Can be redeemed through their travel site, which is associated with Travelocity. No idea if you earn miles for your award booking or not.
Points needed - 15000 points for any booking of upto $150
35000 points for any booking of upto $350
60000 points for any booking of upto $600
100x travel costs for any booking above $600

2. Amex MR - Can be used to book through their own travel site.
each $1 in travel requires 100 MR.
Not sure if the award booking earns miles/points

3. Chase UR - Have their own travel portal, i believe. each UR point is worth 1.25 cents in reward
Not sure if the award booking earns miles/points

4. US Bank Flex Perk

5. SPG - Can redeem SPG Points for Flights.

If anyone knows any other travel reward points that allow flight/hotel booking without need to transfer them, please do tell. I will add all available information in the wiki, once I have a major chunk of information..
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I think all of them will earn miles. I think the key point to ask is if the ticket is purchased with points or redeemed from award inventory. The latter does not earn miles.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can depend on the fare code that the flight is purchased with.

Some airlines don't give miles on "consolidator" fares, and the question is do you know when you're booking a "consolidator" fare and when you're booking a "normal" fare (when you're not booking with your own money)?

Some travel sites might reveal the real airline fare code you're booking into, in which case you would go to the airline's website and see if that fare code earn miles (and whether 100% or just at a diminshed rate).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You left off Citi TY
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:12 am
Used to be ' simz '
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by dukerau
You left off Citi TY
Dunno anything about it.. can you fill in some more details, plz..
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doesnt this become the same as cashback?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.