Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best Mileage Program for frequent US-AU travel

Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I have been flying from New York to Melbourne, Australia quite regularly (every few months), and I wanted to try to optimize my points for award travel.

I recently tried to book an award flight back to Australia with Qantas, and the taxes were over $900. I checked with United and the taxes were much more reasonable.

Can anyone recommend a Mileage program that would be best suited to redeeming award flights with low taxes. Mileage Plus or Alaska?

I wouldn't mind staying within the Star Alliance network to make use of my Aegean Gold Status.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 11, 2014 at 4:46 pm Reason: Corrected abbrev for Australia
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA ExP
Welcome to FT! Make yourself at home. You'll learn a lot here and be able to greatly improve your travel experience if you put in a little effort.

Two things:
1. Generally AUS = Austin while Au = Australia.
2. The proper forum to post this question is Information Desk. But don't go double-post there now, a mod will move this thread there shortly.

I flew to Au every 2 months last year and am very familiar with the jaunt. United for buying revenue tickets is by far the best bet, IMHO. The new LAX-MEL on the 787-900 looks spectacular (though I will miss 747 upper deck!). United biz and coach availability on the route is quite good. So definitely buy your rev tix on UA, look into using upgrades if you do 5x trips a year (which will get you 1K, depending on spend, Plat otherwise with the credit card), and then redeem your miles for flights as well.

However, as a supplement, I'd collect DL miles (through CCs, not flying). VA has spectacular biz class availability out of LAX. You may need to resign yourself to buying a ticket NYC-LAX and then picking up the award from there because domestic DL space is abysmal.

The problem with OneWorld (Qantas/QF and AA) to Au is that the cheap fares on QF don't earn anything on AA, the AA-coded flights which earn miles are more expensive, there aren't many partner status benefits, and QF's FFP (frequent flyer program) is crap. The one good OneWorld option is going to be very short-lived, but that's to buy US miles at the 1.1 cpm share miles promo and then you can fly CX (Cathay Pacific) biz to Au for $1.2k or First for $1.54k, both of which are SPECTACULAR values (and award space is quite good; I suggest AwardNexus for looking it up). You do need some seed accounts with 50k each to do that, however.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Welcome to FT! Make yourself at home. You'll learn a lot here and be able to greatly improve your travel experience if you put in a little effort.

Two things:
1. Generally AUS = Austin while Au = Australia.
2. The proper forum to post this question is Information Desk. But don't go double-post there now, a mod will move this thread there shortly.

I flew to Au every 2 months last year and am very familiar with the jaunt. United for buying revenue tickets is by far the best bet, IMHO. The new LAX-MEL on the 787-900 looks spectacular (though I will miss 747 upper deck!). United biz and coach availability on the route is quite good. So definitely buy your rev tix on UA, look into using upgrades if you do 5x trips a year (which will get you 1K, depending on spend, Plat otherwise with the credit card), and then redeem your miles for flights as well.

However, as a supplement, I'd collect DL miles (through CCs, not flying). VA has spectacular biz class availability out of LAX. You may need to resign yourself to buying a ticket NYC-LAX and then picking up the award from there because domestic DL space is abysmal.

The problem with OneWorld (Qantas/QF and AA) to Au is that the cheap fares on QF don't earn anything on AA, the AA-coded flights which earn miles are more expensive, there aren't many partner status benefits, and QF's FFP (frequent flyer program) is crap. The one good OneWorld option is going to be very short-lived, but that's to buy US miles at the 1.1 cpm share miles promo and then you can fly CX (Cathay Pacific) biz to Au for $1.2k or First for $1.54k, both of which are SPECTACULAR values (and award space is quite good; I suggest AwardNexus for looking it up). You do need some seed accounts with 50k each to do that, however.
With AA's recent changes, you can't do US-> Australia on Cathay via HKG without it being priced as two awards now. It'll be a good bit more than 110k miles for Business on that routing. You'd be looking at 1 award for US-HKG and 1 for HKG to Australia. It comes to 180k miles round trip in Business for that routing now.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: SQ
This can be a bit dependent on whether you are flying J or Y, and what the pricing looks like.

Also, it's quite important to know what you're doing before attacking award tickets because there are plenty of tricks and tips that can save money.

The three direct options are Qantas, United, and Virgin Australia. Adding on stops makes SYD and BNE options as well.

Virgin Australia has the best availability, not the best seats (2-3-2) nor the best program to redeem from (Delta.com is a very frustrating website....).

United has good availability, good (enough) seats, and a solid program.

Really it's hit-or-miss between United and Delta (for Virgin Aus.) Both can be routed through Asia if availability is an issue on the direct flights. I think UA is the winner because their website is just so easy to use for a beginner and their miles have good uses outside of Australia as well.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by mikelat
With AA's recent changes, you can't do US-> Australia on Cathay via HKG without it being priced as two awards now. It'll be a good bit more than 110k miles for Business on that routing. You'd be looking at 1 award for US-HKG and 1 for HKG to Australia. It comes to 180k miles round trip in Business for that routing now.
AA has always been that way. US still allows it.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while virgin is not alliance like others, there are a number of partner programs that allow virgin redemption/earning

also with alliances you could use a non-US program, perhaps including CX
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT

For lowest award cost in miles/cash I would
- if flying Qantas be putting the miles to the AA freq flyer program [Look at post 330 ]
- if flying United or Air NZ be putting the miles to the United freq flyer program
But there are always options & opinions

Originally Posted by reeyal
I recently tried to book an award flight back to Australia with Qantas, and the taxes were over $900. I checked with United and the taxes were much more reasonable.
The $900 was not taxes. All airlines have the same taxes. The difference was fuel surcharges. Never confuse real taxes with carrier imposed fees(~profit) on award flights

Originally Posted by HansGolden
The problem with OneWorld (Qantas/QF and AA) to Au is that the cheap fares on QF don't earn anything on AA..
This used to be case, but in my view not since August 1, 2013. The only booking class that does not have AA earning is E: a super cheap discount ticket. http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
The three direct options are Qantas, United, and Virgin Australia.
And Delta from LAX (will need a Aust domestic flight to MEL)
Also Air New Zealand via AKL, Hawiian & Air Tahiti Nui (will need a Aust and/or USA domestic flights)

Alaska is a good ffp with many partners including QF, AA & Delta
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Have a look at
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Wow, that's a lot of info - thanks a lot everyone, and sorry for posting my question in the wrong place.

I was a bit confused by this:

The one good OneWorld option is going to be very short-lived, but that's to buy US miles at the 1.1 cpm share miles promo and then you can fly CX (Cathay Pacific) biz to Au for $1.2k or First for $1.54k, both of which are SPECTACULAR values (and award space is quite good; I suggest AwardNexus for looking it up). You do need some seed accounts with 50k each to do that, however.
So, it looks like United Mileage Plus is the way to go for me. Is it okay to fly with any Star Alliance member to Au and credit the miles to Mileage Plus? Eg. Air NZ?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a bit confused by this:
The one good OneWorld option is going to be very short-lived, but that's to buy US miles at the 1.1 cpm share miles promo and then you can fly CX (Cathay Pacific) biz to Au for $1.2k or First for $1.54k, both of which are SPECTACULAR values (and award space is quite good; I suggest AwardNexus for looking it up). You do need some seed accounts with 50k each to do that, however.
US Airways ffp has an offer out now where you can buy/share miles. So buying/sharing miles and then using these miles for an award flight is cheaper than buying the fare outright. This offer is for a limited time and subject to t&c’s. US Airways has had these offers before, but with AA/US merger they may not be offered in the future. US Airways ffp will fold into the AA ffp in the future.

So, it looks like United Mileage Plus is the way to go for me. Is it okay to fly with any Star Alliance member to Au and credit the miles to Mileage Plus? Eg. Air NZ?
Yes. You can fly any Star Alliance airline and credit the ff miles, if eligible, to UA's ffp. However some fares are not eligible to earn UA miles. Air NZ has more of these non earning fares than other airlines. But Air NZ is OK to fly with. UA is the only Star airline with direct from USA to Australia flights. Air NZ is via Auckland. Other airlines fly USA-Asia-Australia, but fares will cost more.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

If i was to take advantage of the US Airways offer at the moment, would it work if I joined up now and purchased the miles?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If i was to take advantage of the US Airways offer at the moment, would it work if I joined up now and purchased the miles?
No. You are too late. And need to have a account open for 12 days and someone to share the miles with. (And not the dog/cat!!)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...pr-7-13-a.html
But costs nothing to join. Who knows what will happen in the future.

A quirk of the US/AA merger, US leaving Star and joining OneWorld, is that Air NZ is a US Airways partner until June 29. So you can fly a Air NZ, Star Airline, but eventually end up with AA miles (OneWorld). I have been doing with AirNZ/US for the last 6 months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.