Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:19 am

So you are recommending that I get an American based FFP? This will get me the status required for upgrades?

Does BA not have a way to get upgrades through being a high status user?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:11 pm

First Timer

Thanks for your patience and thoughts, my apologies if I'm doing this incorrectly...

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reward travel, followed by seat upgrades

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
I fly economy - will soon be flying regularly - 3 times or so per month from ATL to MCO

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I am flexible, travel mostly for pleasure

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
US Domestic between ATL, MCO, DTW, and Chicago (ORD/MDW)

(6) What is your home airport?
ATL

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
I lost status on Delta, but still have over 300k miles banked. I have a Delta AMEX and am compiling significant points through spend on that card. I am a member with few miles in United and Southwest.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Delta and Southwest

As I said, I expect to be flying frequently over weekends between Atlanta and Orlando for the next 10-12 months, with some trips to Detroit and Chicago as well. My instinct tells me to ditch the AMEX card and apply for a new Southwest card, as Southwest appears to have similarly priced fares with the added benefit of being able to reschedule flights without added fees. Any thoughts from the experts here would be welcome. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Hi there! I'm a huge avgeek and airline enthusiast been a long time FT reader and occasional poster-mainly in the Hawaiian/B6 threads. After reading all kinds of trip reports/mileage and points blogs and seeing all those lovely flat bed biz class/first class upgrades, I've given some serious thought into to getting our miles into the correct program and/or getting ourselves a credit card that will tick the boxes for all my answers below. I certainly appreciate any and all input from all of you knowledgeable FT'ers because lately my head's been spinning with dreams of lie flat seats, figuring out card spending, which card(s) to get and which airline to really go for the "platinum" with!

At any rate, here are my questionnaire answers:

Upgrades, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.

---> For me the most important thing would mainly be the upgrades-being able to fly first/biz for miles and the good redemption rates as in not having to redeem ALL my miles for one first class ticket! My wife wouldn't like it if I left her in the back... (Although SHE can sleep in ANY airline seat!). Lounge access is just a bonus

---> Less than 25000 miles for sure, although this year we'll have hit Hawaii 2X in the same year on HA while earning for B6. We do a trip to FL once or twice a year. In total probably about 6-8 segments in 3/4 RT's but my aim is to get that number of flights UP UP UP thru the right CC/FFP program!

---> We generally buy domestic "premium economy" on B6 and HA. B6 EMS and HA Extra Comfort. If traveling overseas I would bias to SQ/EK/CX et al. specifically for their premium economy product.

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
---> Travel is 100% leisure/pleasure/vacations so we choose our airline(s) which 99% of the time is B6 and partners out of BOS.

---> Domestic US. transcontinental/northeast to Florida.

---> BOS/KBOS

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
---> No status whatsoever. We have ~21K miles in TrueBlue which won't even cover two RT's down to PBI for us (at least until after our HI trip in Dec) In addition, I used to have a TON of Delta skymiles which probably expired. They were all earned pre 9/11-according to DL, I have earned a total of 25,277 lifetime but show 0 miles availability-I am looking further into this.

---> Airlines that focus on service and treating you like a human being! So that generally means B6, HA, WN and VX (haven't flown the latter two) domestically and I consistently dream of flights abroad on SQ, EK, EY, CX and VS. Also, if you couldn't tell by my screen name, I'm quite partial to Airbus aircraft.

One more thing to add for the record: we currently have the Chase Disney rewards visa. My intent is to get us OUT of that one and into another more travel-centric card be it for hotels/airlines etc.

Thanks for any help in advance! Feel free to DM me or reply here!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:29 pm

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: good award redemption rates

>>> Reply: <25k. Maybe 4 or 5 roundtrip flights in a year.

>>> Reply: economy

>>> Reply: Yes, but only economy. Delta or AA are preferred. For work mostly, some pleasure when I can.

>>> Reply: domestic USA only. GSO/CLT/RDU -> SJC or LAX. Sometimes to BOS.

>>> Reply: GSO/CLT/RDU, I fly out of wherever is convenient

>>> Reply: No status anywhere. I have ~50k miles in AA, 10k in United. Maybe 4K in Delta.

>>> Reply: AA or Delta.

Thanks for any suggestions! feel free to DM or reply here
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:02 am

Hello, have been reading this great forum for quite some time and learned a great deal of information however still couldnt figure out best strategy to maximize value of the miles i will fly from Singapore.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:08 pm

Smile Frequent Dallas - New York Travel

Hello,

I'm looking for advice concerning which airline I should stick to in the future. I frequently fly from my home in New York to college in Dallas. Although I know multiple airlines serve this route, I'm trying to balance my desire to fly from smaller airports like DAL and HPN with the cost savings available on common routes like DFW-LGA. To date, I've mostly flown AA and WN, but am open to other airlines.

>>> Upgrades and availability of award flights

>>> Approx. 25,000 miles, with 10 segments between Dallas and New York and 2-4 segments between US and Tokyo.

>>> Economy

>>> I have complete freedom over airline and class of service selections. I am a college student, and fly frequently from my home in New York to my school in Dallas. Additionally, I visit my parents in Tokyo once or twice annually.

>>> Domestic between DAL/DFW and LGA/JFK/HPN/HVN/BDL. International between DFW/JFK and NRT/HND.

>>> HPN, LGA, HVN, and JFK (but HPN is my #1 choice by far).

>>> No status or significant number of miles on any airline.

>>> None.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:40 pm

Based in SFO

A lot of online posts say that AA miles have the highest value, but I'm wondering if that's true for me. I'm considering signing up for a few credit card offers.

Reply:
Good award redemption rates, availability on non-stop routes
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:
<25000, a few flights a year
Reply:
Usually cheapest, but I would like to sleep in a bed on a long haul flight at least once in my life.
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
Only personal travel
Reply:
Fairly random. A few flights within North America. A few to more exotic vacations.
Reply:
SFO
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply:
Not much
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:
No preference
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
marctjoefat Welcome to FT

Low priced economy fares will not earn many miles in any ffp and you are unlikely to get status (with a new FFP).
If cost is a major factor select flights based on schedule & price and treat any ff miles/points as a bonus.
As you already have 7000 FB miles build on those where possible. (Watch expiry)
USA based ffp's tend to be more generous and better award cost (earn/burn and less copay $). So if you have a OneWorld Alliance or Star Alliance flight join another FFP.
Thanks for helping!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:18 am

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Lounge access and extra luggage allowance
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: Usually economy
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Economy
Reply: Pleasure. Can choose airline.
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: London - Hong Kong, Hong Kong - Singapore
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: LHR/HKG
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Marco Polo 13,462 miles, Krisflyer 6,702 miles, Virgin 13,433 miles
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific

Live in Hong Kong but attend college in the UK (travel from LHR-HKG during holidays thrice yearly). Travel from HKG to SIN about twice a year and travel to India (usually Bangalore/Delhi/Bombay) from HKG once a year. Will also make a couple of other trips each year for holidays either from LHR or HKG. When travelling with my parents tend to use Star Alliance as my parents are PPS Solitaire members but when travelling alone (LHR-HKG) airline choice based on price.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:56 am

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: good award redemption rates
Reply:25000-50000,
Reply: economy/cheapest
Reply: yes, aa, work & pleasure
Reply: us domestic- aa, cathay from us to hk
SFO, ORD, HKG
Reply:SFO, ORD, HKG
Reply:

70k with aa
24k united
23k delta

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:aa, cathay
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
[Which airline?] IAH-JED every two weeks for a year

Which airline should I fly for frequent roundtrip travel between IAH and JED. Will be traveling in business class every two weeks for a year (~26 roundtrip flights, if my math is correct).

I'm Platinum with AA and Silver with United. However, with the recent devaluation of United miles, I'm leaning towards sticking with OneWorld and crediting to AA.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Have you done any research yourself?
What airlines fly this route and what schedule (departure / arrival time)?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have you done any research yourself?
What airlines fly this route and what schedule (departure / arrival time)?
Yes, I have.

Qatar and BA seem to be the only carriers that credit to OneWorld (AA) -AND- only have one stop in between.

Turkish also only has one stop in between, but it credits to Star Alliance (United).

Pros/cons? I'll end up getting the highest status at whichever alliance I end up with. Should I just secure Exec Plat with AA and then switch to Turkish to secure 1K with United?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can try both BA and QR, but I expect that QR will offer the superior service. (The longer TATL flight on QR is probably a plus too: more chance of getting a full night's sleep.)
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:28 am

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
Reply:Reward availability
Reply: More than 50k miles. As I'll be relocating to AKL from LHR, I will plan to do a lot of sectors LHR-AKL and vv, as well as AKL-SIN/HKG
Reply: Economy. Occasionally Premium Economy
Reply:I can choose airline but not class. Travel a lot for work within NZ (Air NZ) but also have my family in London so rely on being able to meet with them in SIN/HKG or travel back to LHR
Reply: LHR-AKL, AKL-SIN, AKL-HKG, and a lot of internal NZ.
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: It will be AKL but currently is LHR
Reply: No status but have some miles built up in BA Exec club (only like 15k)
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: BA, CX, NZ

I'd basically like to know what the program to join is considering I want to be able to send my wife on BA award tickets down to Southeast Asia to meet up with me, whilst I fly from Auckland. I will be flying a lot with Air NZ but ideally I'd like to build up points in a oneworld carrier so that I can redeem on BA or Cathay.
Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.