Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:42 pm

Hi there, my family lives in Vancouver, Canada, and NYC, but I've recently graduated gone to work for a startup based in Nairobi, Kenya that services Chinese investors. So I will be making a lot of China-Africa flights in the future with the annual trip back to North America.

I had some miles accrued with United from school days but it seems like I should find something more convenient. We are bootstrapped for cash right now so most flights will be based on price, so I would love to go with an airline that grants miles based on distance and not cost of ticket.

Status, easy upgrades and lounge services, also redeemable flights

Reply: probably just over 50K, half a dozen flights per year

Reply: Economy for personal

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: mostly pleasure for now, but will have more and more work related in the future

5. Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: Africa-China, occasional Vancouver and NYC

Reply: Nairobi (NBO), Beijing/Shanghai

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: Had UA Silver last year, most likely to hit gold thanks to long flights from Kenya to North America.

Reply: Something with really good service and an excellent safety record, also can I say pretty stewardesses?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:15 am

Picking Program for upgrade travel to china

I've been reading up and researching about a award travel for several months now but I haven't been able to figure out which program(alliance/airline) I should be accumulating points to. So hoping I can get some direction here.

The goal is in about 2 years, to travel to china (Beijing(PEK)) from either PHL or JFK, and perhaps repeat trips every 1-2 years. Since its at least 16 hours of airtime I'm trying to work out a way to fly business or first class, either by getting the whole ticket on points or using points to upgrade an economy fair.

I have no planned air travel, and all award points would come from credit cards rewards.

Currently the only points I have are 50k Amex points, I plan to get a new credit card to contribute points every 3 months.

What airlines do you recommend I focus on collecting miles for?

Edit: since I put this in the wrong place and it was moved the questionaire:

Reply: Buisness or 1st Class seats either fully funded with points up upgraded with points from economy cost

Reply: 0, 0

Reply: economy, but see above.

Reply: yes, no

Reply: none

Reply: PHL, JFK

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: none

Reply: Larger Operators.

Last edited by ed11ward; Feb 24, 2015 at 11:40 am Reason: questionaire
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:51 am

Wink

My situation has recently changed, so I wanted to update and solicit some more advice.

I was originally scheduled to be in Houston for the rest of the year (weekly LGA to IAH), but I will now only be here through May. Start in June, I will be seconded to London for the rest of the year.

My biggest priority now is to earn enough miles to fly my fiance out/myself home for visits on a somewhat regular basis. I have 14 weeks to maximize my flights to Houston to earn miles, and am open to any suggestions to do.

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=goingconcern;24308345]
(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)

Reply: Award redemption (i.e. fly free for personal flights) and upgrades. Enough points/miles for monthly flights from NYC to London. Upgrades still desired, but not required.

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)

Reply: Roughly 2,800 each week. Guaranteed at least 40,000 and 28 segments by June. Likely to be some European travel from then on out.

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)

Reply: Economy, but would buy business if upgrades were available for relatively the same price.

Reply: Travel for both work and pleasure. For work, able to choose airline and class is required economy/coach when domestic.

(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)

Reply: Domestic. Transatlantic and intra-Europe starting in June.

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)

Reply: NYC, in order of preference: LGA, JFK, HPN, EWR, SWF. London in starting in June, no preference yet.

(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)

Reply: No status achieved. About 10,000 on Delta and 55,000 on Jetblue. Will have 100k+ on American after accounts merge.

Reply: American, as I now have the Barclays and Citi cards, Delta next. United is an absolute last resort.
QUOTE]
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:51 am

Best airline miles program for itinerary changes at low cost

Hey guys, hope I'm posting in the right spot.

What is the best airline elite program on to be able to change entire itineraries including destination airport for the lowest cost or no cost?

I'm an offshore worker and while I used to be able to ask the office to fly me to any airport in the US, they now enforce a policy where I must fly either to company headquarters in Boston or my "home of record" in Houston. I often don't want to fly to either of these places.

I'd like to be able to change my reservations directly with the airline either in advance or same day so that I can fly to destinations other than BOS or IAH. Any advice on which airlines will do this at low or no cost if I can get to one of their elite tiers? I'm unlikely to be able to get to top tier but "silver" and "gold" are within reason.

I see that some airlines offer free same day changes for elite members but unsure if this is only for time changes with the same origin and destination or not.

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Doomhammer1212, welcome to Flyertalk.

I know of one airline domestically that waives change fees for ticket changes made by mid and top tier elites, just need to pay any fare difference. Thats MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K from Alaska Airlines (AS). However they have a restricted footprint that may not work for where you are flying, as they are based out of the Pacific Northwest.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doomhammer1212

I see that some airlines offer free same day changes for elite members but unsure if this is only for time changes with the same origin and destination or not.

Thanks so much!
All airlines same day change policies require that the origin and destination be the same.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:47 pm

Hello, I m new to this forum and as my main city where I lived in and also my travel routes changed maybe I can improve my bonus miles programs.

economy seat selection, upgrades

around 100k miles at least, dont know about the segments

cheapest economy

sometimes I can choose, sometimes not. I often depart from PLS and only resonable connections is with AA from there. I mainly travel for pleasure

PLS - Europe or YYZ - Europe followed by YYZ to Caribbean or Middle America

PLS but I also travel also from YYZ

AA Platinum, LH Miles & More 2k status miles

the cheapest ones

-----
If I depart from PLS to somewhere I always have to use AA and go thorugh MIA as hub. It s the only airline with reasonable connections from there. As they credit miles in the AAdvantage program by distance I easily can keep status with Oneworld.

This Miles and More LH program with StarAlliance just credits 0.25% the miles actually travelled if I book cheap economy flights which are often AC flights from YYZ to Europe or to Caribbean destinations. Maybe some other StarAlliance bonus programm would be better? I decide to go with StarAlliance because it s most of the time cheaper and offers a lot more direct flights from YYZ at the same time than OneWorld
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:52 pm

This is great, thanks in advance.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

The occasional free/cheap award ticket. Extra baggage allowance and upgrades would be nice but not my main concern.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

At 2, maybe 3, flights, round trip. At least once from Maui OGG to mainland (OKC mostly). Hoping to be doing more international travel in the next few years.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?

Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Yes, I can. Mostly for pleasure.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often

OGG to OKC and between Hawaiian islands.

(6) What is your home airport?

Currently XNA but will officially be OGG in May.

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

No.

(8) Preferred Airlines

None, really. I usually just go for the cheapest.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by GOP_Tiger
My mother wants to use credit cards to rack up a bunch of miles to buy flights for her grandchildren. I don't think that any of the major airline programs forbid this, but I wasn't 100% sure, and I'm really unsure about the hotel programs. Any insight into any programs that require the program member to travel as part of awards?
All FFPs and hotel programs I know allow redeeming awards for other people than the account holder.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:20 pm

New to this

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: Earning free airfare.

Reply: 3500

Reply: economy

Reply: Yes/pleasure

Reply: US Domestic

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: SNA

Reply: No, I've never done this before.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any? None
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tellis0
Reply: Earning free airfare.

Reply: 3500

Reply: Yes/pleasure

Reply: US Domestic

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: SNA

Reply: No, I've never done this before.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any? None
From SNA, you may want to look into Southwest and Alaska. Southwest you can get at least one (maybe two) 50k cards from Chase, and those points should last you some time at only 3500 miles a year, if you can book reasonably in advance. Alaska you can get the 25k card from BofA multiple times a year, and you can use Alaska miles for Alaska, AA, and Delta domestically.

Since those cards are from different banks, you could do both, and then for each particular trip you want to do "free" you could evaluate whether Southwest points or Alaska miles (and the latter on which carrier) would give you the better value and the better connection. (From SNA, most of your flights, unless very local, are likely to involve connections.)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:51 pm

good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Good award redemption rates, better aware access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 25000-50000, 20-25 flights ROUND TRIP, so 40-50 individual flights
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: First/Business
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, I can choose the airline and class of service, but my options from my location are limited. I travel for work, and most often fly SouthWest.
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: US Domestic: SMF <-> SEA
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: SMF
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Alaska Airlines: MVP, Southwest: A-List, Hyatt: Diamond, National: Executive
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Airlines with more destinations, so Alaska Airlines isn't ideal although I think the only options with the flights I want are Southwest and Alaska Airlines.

Thanks for your time for reading and potentially giving feedback. Some further information, I fly SMF -> SEA every other week, stay three nights. Right now I'm doing Southwest, Hyatt ($250 nightly limit after taxes/fees/parking), and National Car Rental. I'm looking for getting the most reward out of my flight/hotel/rental so I can use them for vacations.

Last edited by DeLorean731; Mar 1, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:18 pm

Looking for Advice

Hey Everyone,
Just looking for some input and figure this would be the best place to start. Im new to the mile game but am hooked already. Any input would be awesome! Thanks in advance

Reply: good award redemption rates

Reply: <25,000 and <25....however hoping to change this. Just about to graduate and have a new job so will have some money to travel.

Reply: I am able to choose my airline and class. Travel for pleasure and am about to start to for work.

Reply: U.S. domestic but looking to get into more transatlantic.

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: KDFW

Reply: No status and about 55,000 Dividend miles on US.

Reply: Usually dont care
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:14 pm

I'm starting a career in consulting and wanted to get some feedback on how I can get the most out of it.
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:Good award redemption rates and lounge access.
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: >50 flights, > 50,000
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:Cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:Yes, Unknown for now, work
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: San Diego to New York/Chicago
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:SAN
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:No
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Any
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:02 am

Hi.

I will be travelling at least 5 times a year; doing YUL-COO-BEY-YUL.

I only have the choice of travelling with AF and TK and BEL and ETH (which is a no no to me). I will be travelling coach as I am paying for my trips.

Kindly help me choose which program to join. Im hesitating between FlyingBlue, Miles&Smiles, and Miles&More.

Looking forward to hear your answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.