Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:28 am

free discount lounge access
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:30 am

Talking

Originally Posted by catherine77
free discount lounge access
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
More Frequent Work Traveller Deciding Which Airline to Fly

HELLO! I believe I am the millionth person to post this so I will take any advice you are able to give at this point.
I was recently promoted to a new position that requires abut 60-75% travel with several international trips per year. I have always travelled for work, but never this much so I have never been loyal to a specific airline, just hotel programs - Hilton DM, Marriott PM, Starwood PM
I realize it will take time to reach the necessary level to receive upgrades, but I'm planning to stick with one airline and have been unable to choose based on the information I have found. My main goal is to be upgraded on long haul flights - my company allows me to book comfort+ on transatlantic and business on transpacific. For US domestic I usually book economy comfort.

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can youplease provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggageallowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discountedlounge access, etc.)
Reply: UPGRADES ON TRAVEL – SPECIFICALLY INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How manyflights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 85,000+ MILES / 60+ SEGMENTS

US DOMESTIC - ECONOMY COMFORT
TRANSATLANTIC - COMFORT + (LHR 4-5 times, FCO 1-2 times)
TRANSPACIFIC - BUSINESS (Sydney)

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: PREMIUM ECONOMY

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline mostflown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: MY CHOICE, MOSTLY WORK TRAVEL AND SOME LEISURE

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: US DOMESTIC, TRANSATLANTIC, ONE MAYBE TWO TRANSPACIFIC PER YEAR

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: MINNEAPOLIS – MSP OR CHICAGO - ORD ok with connections

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do youhave any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: UNITED SILVER AND CLOSE TO DELTA SILVER

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: DECIDING BETWEEN UNITED, DELTA AND AMERICAN. PLAN TO STICK WITH ONE TO MAXIMIZE FLIGHTS.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:47 pm

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Baggage allowance, lounge access, priority access

>>> Reply: 50000 miles, 16 flights

>>> Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Work and pleasure. I can choose airlines, but don't get much choice on class of service.

>>> Reply: SIN-HKG (usually), SIN-Europe (occasionally), SIN-USA (once per year)

>>> Reply: SIN

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: UA *G. 70k banked, 240k lifetime, 3k so far this year.

>>> Reply: Turkish is nice

I'm currently UA*G, but it's been getting increasingly difficult to qualify. They have one flight out of SIN, and it's at 6am.

I had Silver status on Cathay, but it's also gotten too difficult to qualify with them.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:50 pm

Questions
Reply: A. good award redemption rates, B. upgrades on travel, C. priority services when flying the airline,
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: >50K
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy,)
Reply: cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes. AA/DA/UA
Reply: Asia
Reply: PHL
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: DA Gold; Over 400K AA Miles
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: No preferrance
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:24 pm

Ok here we go.. getting tired of *A BS...bad service by TG, Brussels causing me to miss my connect with no compensation, LH cancelling my flight without even trying to reaccomadate me.

I fly 150K miles per year, based out of Bangkok, purchase Economy/Premium Economy. Travel from BKK all over Asia, 4 trips a year to the USA, 4 trips to Europe, 1 or 2 to South Africa, 1 to Australia/New Zealand usually.

I am UA 1K, Star Gold.

I am looking to status match if I leave, but I have heard horror stories as well with OneWorld and ability to use miles (not been huge issue for us with Star) and how SkyTeam is relatively stingy. I used to be a NW/DL Platinum for years...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG - Spire, SWA - Companion Pass/A List Preferred
Long time reader and first-time poster. I have exclusively used Southwest over the last 2 years and have used the perk of Companion Pass often. I recently moved to a new job that will have international flying and transcontinental travel. I wanted other's thoughts on why FFP I should consider.

>>> Reply: upgrades and reasonable award redemption for personal travel (spouse + me)

>>> Reply: estimate 75k+

>>> Reply:
- for business domestic travel - economy (but have purchase E+ or business if priced okay)
- for business international travel - business
- for leisure domestic/intl - economy plus if priced reasonably. otherwise, econ.

>>> Reply: can choose airline for work travel, but class is as described above.

>>> Reply:
- LAX-New York, PHL, MCO regularly
- LAX to ICN at least 1-2x
- LAX to TPE on personal travel 1x
- 1-2x transatlantic and 1-2x other Asia travel (SIN, Bejing, NRT)

>>> Reply: LAX

>>> Reply: Southwest - A-list preferred

>>> Reply:
- I've enjoyed EVA, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic when flying personally
- Domestically, Virgin America (I don't fly them often) is really the only airline that I've ever had a 'good' experience with. Southwest is fine, but mostly because I get to board early and my spouse flies for free (companion pass).

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I'm an NYC-based academic who has started ramping up work travel. No program looks particularly appealing to me at the moment, so I've been booking on the most convenient routes on any carrier. My travel volume is slated to increase quite a bit this coming year, so I thought it might be a good time to re-evaluate.

I'm primarily looking to get upgrades on paid non-full-fare economy TATL and TCON redeye flights. This might be a bit difficult, so I'm open to other benefits as well, e.g. better boarding to never gate check a bag.

>>> Reply:
* Upgrades for international long-haul and redeyes from SFO to NYC if possible
* Good award redemption / access.

>>> Reply:
* ~1 RT to Asia (personal, on award miles)
* 2-3 RT to Europe (work, booked in cheapest economy)
* 3-4 RT to SFO (work, booked in cheapest economy)
* 5-6 shorter domestic RT (work, booked in cheapest economy)
* 2-3 shorter domestic RT (personal, paid)

>>> Reply:
* work: cheapest economy
* personal: international business on points, otherwise economy or premium economy paid

>>> Reply:
* For work, I can choose airlines and routes but must buy the lowest fare class in economy. I also must buy US carriers or codeshares with the exception of Europe, where I can buy European carriers.

>>> Reply:
* TCON domestic, TATL, domestic USA

>>> Reply:
* EWR, JFK, LGA

>>> Reply:
* No status, currently 400K UR, 120K MR, 40K SPG, 30K UA, 30K DL, 60K B6, 25K AS
* I get 100-200K transferrable points each year through credit card spend.

>>> Reply: Of the ones I've flown:
* TPAC: JL > OZ > UA > CA (heard good things about NH, CX, SQ > KE)
* TATL: AF, LX > LH, OS > UA
* TCON (redeye): B6 > UA, AA
* Domestic: Indifferent
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:38 am

Hi everyone,

I fly ~3 times a year from Madrid, Spain (MAD) to Birmingham, AL (BHM) (and occasionally within Europe) with my partner and a toddler. I'm trying to figure out which program would be best for us.

First award redemption rates and then priority service. We don't always fly enough to achieve elite status with any airline but have achieved it through credit card spend.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: 25k - 50k, <25 segments
Reply: Cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: We fly for pleasure and typically choose Delta because we can connect in ATL. ATL is just a two hour drive from BHM, so if something goes wrong we can potentially drive to/from ATL. We can not choose long layovers because of our toddler.
Almost exclusively MAD - BHM
Reply:
Reply: MAD
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: Delta Silver, currenty have 180k miles
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Delta because of the ATL connection but their redemption rates suck and as of late they tend to be the most expensive option for our route.

Although we live in Madrid I bank in the US and am not opposed to airline credit cards in order to rack up miles. I can't keep up with which airlines are partnered with which and who has the best programs so I'm hoping you can provide some insight. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SPG Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hello

This is my first time posting on this site but I have been reading the forum for a few months now.

Oh and any reply is appreciated

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Priority service, Good award and redemption rates. Good rates for flying in business class (including good rates for partner airlines too)
Reply: less than 25,000 miles and 1-2 round trip(s) per year so 2 or 4 flights
Reply: Business
Reply: Yes I can choose my airlines and class. Mostly flown with TG but planning on expanding my range a bit. I travel for pleasure since I'm still in college
Reply: None. Depends on where I want to travel.
Reply: Bangkok. Suvarnabhumi International Airport
Reply: TG ROP Silver. Have almost 40k
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Star Alliances with good business class seats (1-2-1 configuration on long haul flights) is ideal

Credit card recommendation is very welcome.

And I want to know if there is any FFP that the miles doesn't expired (doesn't have to be a star alliance program)

The program you recommend doesn't have to be a star alliance program though I am happy to switch alliance for a better deal

Thanks in advance
Old May 26, 2017, 2:24 am

Which program?? Living in Southeast Asia with trips to USA, Australia, around Asia

I've lurked around on this site trying to wrap my brain around the world of FFPs, points, miles... but it's time to admit that I'm in over my head and get a little help, so this is my first post. I hope this shows up in the right place!! Apologies if I mistakenly answer someone else's post instead of posting my own

I’m really looking for the cheapest possible way to travel, usually book budget airlines and hope to earn free international long haul flights and/or flights in asia/australia,
any other perks of loyalty are nice, less waiting/more comfort, but don’t want to spend points on that…

Currently, infrequent flyer - once per year, but going from Asia to USA every year the cost adds up, and I may need to begin traveling around Asia & Australia more frequently as well, so I thought this would be important to look into!

Economy, whatever is the cheapest thing I can get

I’m self-employed and have to raise my own funds for the non-profit work that I do, so I guess my travel falls into the work category although I'm the one booking and paying for it. Sometimes my travel dates are more flexible and sometimes I don't have much choice. But I can choose my own tickets, and I always choose the cheapest possible options… although I have to say, some very nice airlines (Etihad comes to mind as a favorite) offer very reasonable rates which I’ve enjoyed on my long-haul. (Once when I had no choice, a Korean Air flight was booked for me and I quite liked their airline as well.)

As stated before, Asia to USA (JFK or Dulles) once per year, but soon probably adding more inter-Asia and Australia trips, and possibly once in a while to Europe.

Whichever one is cheapest - sometimes that’s BKK Thailand, sometimes it’s SGN Vietnam, sometimes even Cambodia.

Before AA started just rewarding the big spenders rather than the budget distance travelers, I thought that would best suit me, so I have an American Airlines FFP with about 5,600 miles. My family has just started to pool their miles on Korean Air’s family plan as well but I’m not sure yet how many miles it is. I use agoda.com for booking hotels and that has kept my sad little collection of AA miles from expiring… they also have Korean Air and Etihad and other FFPs that I can add to my agoda account and choose where the points go. I think that (being an unaware newbie) I lost a lot of points initially due to expiry and flying segments with partners that I didn’t realize weren’t eligible, etc. I’ve been researching to try to get on top of this game, but my head is still spinning a little with the overwhelming amount of information and caveats and hidden rules. I haven't been impressed with AA's buggy award travel booking feature either; it hasn't seemed to come up with flights no matter what combination of dates/points/locations I put in. I've debated about dropping AA and going with Etihad for my long hauls but they're not in an alliance so I don't know how limiting that would be.. what about Turkish? And I'd also like to hear more about Air Asia's "Big" program and of what benefit that would really be if I frequently flew budget flights around Asia/Australia. Or any other important things I may be missing or overlooking
Oh and another note - I'm not a big spender either, and the larger expenses I can put on a credit card are usually just things like yearly health insurance, buying books or clothes online, cheaper hotels, meals when traveling. Does all of this totally disqualify me from the points/miles game..?

Whichever one is cheapest and goes where I need to go, when I need to go.
I have flown mostly Etihad and Turkish Airlines (sometimes Asiana), but the only reason is because that's what happened to be affordable. I don't mind long or multiple layovers, no matter where they are, because I enjoy getting a glimpse new parts of the world anyway. I also see that Jetstar & Air Asia will be cheapest for some of the future travel I’ll be doing within Asia/Australia, so those'll soon be on the favorites list I'm sure.

Help me out, fellow flyers! And thanks in advance
Old May 29, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hello there! I've been reading for quite some time and decided it's time to post. My personal story, I travel mostly for work, some for leisure, most of the time from CDG, but also ORY or NTE. I have already registered with FB but I think I can find out some improvements.

>>> Reply: Priority services and good award redemption rates, as my goal is to use the miles to fly out with my girlfriend.

>>> Reply: Yearly:
2/3 trips to Korea
1 trip to Asia (Singapore, Malaysia)
1/2 trips in Brazil/Mexico
2/3 trips in Europe

Let's say about 50k.

>>> Reply: Economy. I get to buy the ticket myself, but I buy quite early (about 4 to 5 weeks before the trip, so I always end up with the bad fares miles-wise)

>>> Reply: Yes, I choose myself. I travel mostly for work, little for leisure.

>>> Reply: Most ones are Europe to Asia.

>>> Reply: CDG/ORY/NTE

>>> Reply: I already have a FFP with FB. I'm Silver, last year I ended up with 28 segments (=/), this year I'm at 16.
I have banked up 140k miles in less than two years, because I also have the Amex Gold that offers 4 segments and miles for each € spent. I think this year I should not aim for the segments but for the miles - I am at 24K over 40K in 5 months.

>>> Reply: None, really. A bit tired of AF/KLM food. Would like to enjoy the 5* airlines and avoid the 3*, if possible.

When I realize that a CDG/INC is about 6K airmiles one way and I only got 2k on my last trip, I think I make things bad.
What's the way to pick up the best fare-ticket for miles in econ ? Is there a possibility to choose, or only waiting a few weeks before buying the ticket will make the difference for the fare and the miles?
Because I tend to buy my Eco ticket around 4 weeks before, but it would be ok if I paid the price (and used the fare) that are available only two weeks before the trip.
My idea is now to try and reach the FB Gold status via miles (40K) and forget segments.
I'm also luring at doing something with OZ - 40K in 2 years is doable and I could try to have both AF/OZ if I optimize my miles when buying the AF ticket.
But I'm still looking at how getting better miles from my Eco!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:28 am

Choose a Frequent Flyer Program: Boston to Switzerland

Right, so I'm flying to From Boston to Zurich in July and I'm trying to figure out the best frequent flyer program.

My fight habits look like this:

• Flying from Boston to Zurich in July. Via SWISS Airlines.
  • Probably flying again this Fall.
  • Past that, I have no idea if I'm flying anywhere. It's funding dependent.
  • But If I do, it'll mostly be to Zurich or London, all from Boston.
  • Maybe once a year or two I'll make a Domestic USA flight for a conference. Location is random.
  • This is always on the cheapest ticket possible.
  • I'm willing to get the partner cards.
  • My goal: To get Business Upgrades for Trans-Atlantic flights as often as possible.
So far, I'm been looking at Luftasia Miles and More, as well as United's Millage Plus. What are you recommendations?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Welcome to FT.

Firstly I'll address the Trans-A business upgrades. If you're expecting a complementary upgrade you're going to end up disappointed. I used to get fairly regular upgrades on LX (Swiss) with high elite status and at a time when airlines upgraded elites more. Your travel pattern won't get you to this level. If you're hoping to use the miles you earn via flying and/or the credit card usage those often require purchasing a higher fare bucket to upgrade from and are also dependent upon lots of varying rules and additional costs. They're generally a pain and often not worth the hassles.

Award tickets on the other hand are generally a good value, especially premium class redemptions. Domestic earning opportunities via credit cards are limited to the LH M&M credit card from Barclays while earning via the UA program have quite a few more. There is the various UA credit cards often with large miles signup bonuses and credit cards that transfer to the UA MP program such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred & Reserve cards.

http://www.wheretocredit.com/ will show you what you would earn under each partner program for your flights depending on the fare class booked for the flights.

For someone starting off and with limited travel I'd say go with UA MP and get 1 or 2 of the partner cards to up your earnings towards an award ticket for yourself.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Award redemption (most miles), and then upgrades
Reply:50K on 18 roundtrips. (80 segments)
Reply:Cheapest available
Reply:Pleasure
Replyomestic BHM-TUS 12x year, BHM-DTW 5x year, BHM-DEN 2x year(sometimes I fly ATL instead of BHM to get a direct flight)
Reply:BHM
Reply:UA Gold
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:anything except ultra low cost like spirit. I have miles banked in all US programs.

UA has a bad schedule for my most common flight so been considering AA, DL, or AS.
Not opposed to any foreign partners as my program either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.