Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Any advice?

Hi. Following the recent decimation of BAEC, I am on the lookout for another programme (or several), which will offer 100% miles on discount economy. So far, AAdvantage is looking like the best option. I would also be interested in advice on where to credit Star Alliance and Skyteam flights.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Reply: Earning points/miles that I can redeem for something worthwhile, that will save me some cash. 100% credit on discount economy would be great.

I am not fussed about lounge access, as I am a smoker - I am happy enough puffing away outside.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

Reply: 2 or 3 trips within Europe, plus 1 or 2 Europe to either Asia or North America, plus Europe to Australia every couple of years. All flights are in economy. I am not interested in premium class travel, as I can have 3 or 4 trips in economy for the price of a business class ticket.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?

Reply: The cheapest possible. I am fortunate enough not to have to work for half of the year, so I have the flexibility to travel when the cheap deals are available. I am also open minded enough to be flexible in my destinations. If a super-cheap fare to an exotic destination comes on sale (intentionally or otherwise, if you catch my drift), I will go for it.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Reply: Pure pleasure.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?

Reply: A real mixed bag. Whoever the best (cheapest) fare is with. I used to show a slight preference for BA when a trans-atlantic cheapo would net me enough Avios for a return RFS within Europe, but all bets are off on that now. The goal is to visit as many different and interesting places as I can with what financial resources I have available (ok, but not limitless).

(6) What is your home airport?

Reply: FDH/ZRH/MUC/STR in the summer. BHX/MAN most winters. I also don't mind flying from other European airports and positioning on a LCC or award ticket.

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Reply: I have a BAEC account and about 30k Avios (some from flying and some from credit cards). I have never bothered chasing status.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?

Reply: Due to being based where I am, BA, LX & LH have figured strongly, but I'm really not fussy. I am looking for one programme from each of the three major alliances.

Any advice anyone can offer will be very gratefully received. My own research has come up with nothing other than AA, so far.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Hi. Following the recent decimation of BAEC, I am on the lookout for another programme (or several), which will offer 100% miles on discount economy. So far, AAdvantage is looking like the best option.
< snip >
Reply: Due to being based where I am, BA, LX & LH have figured strongly, but I'm really not fussy. I am looking for one programme from each of the three major alliances.
100% earning on discount economy fares is a very big ask, especially if not flying on the airline of your ffp. I suspect you will be disappointed. But earn to burn is what is important. Have you looked at earnings on AA, UA etc? AS is a good ffp due to the many partner airlines

The grass is not always greener over the fence

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-changes.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ve-affair.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ou-switch.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-changes.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-anything.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:05 am Reason: more links
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
100% earning on discount economy fares is a very big ask, especially if not flying on the airline of your ffp. I suspect you will be disappointed. But earn to burn is what is important. Have you looked at earnings on AA, UA etc? AS is a good ffp due to the many partner airlines

The grass is not always greener over the fence

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-changes.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ve-affair.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ou-switch.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-changes.html
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty much sold on the AA programme. AS does look interesting. Not one I had considered before, but looks ok. Thanks for that one. I know 100% on discount eco is very rare. I agree that churning and burning is now the way to go. I had stockpile miles in the past, but I now understand the "bird in the hand" concept.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:58 am

I everyone, I'm French (sorry for my english...) and I look for an flyer program for One World and Star Alliance. I've already a frequent flyer program for SkyTeam : Flying blue but... I earn not much miles... just 4500

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: Upgrades, priority services and lounge access

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <2500 6-10 flights

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I'm able to choose my airlines but I see the price ^^. I travel just for pleasure

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply: Intra-Europe and Transatlantic (exeptionally I do one U.S. domestic this year with AA)

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: CDG and ORY

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply: Jeunes with Flying blue. I've 4500 miles

Reply: KLM, Air France, Luthansa...

I want 100% of miles too

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Feb 1, 2015 at 9:00 pm Reason: Thread flow
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:44 pm

Greetings, and thanks in advance to any who may offer up some advice.

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: Getting a free plane trip somewhere once in a while. I suppose that falls into the "rewards redemption rates" category.

Reply: < 25000, and < 25 segments. Say 10-15k in about 12-14 segments.

Reply: Economy

Reply: I choose airlines to a mild degree if prices are close enough to one another. It's mostly based on exterior factors, though, price, timings and terminal locations, etc. I travel for pleasure.

Reply: U.S. Domestic. I'm hoping to save up miles to make the transatlantic ones a bit more frequent than they are now.

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: I don't really have one. Most of my flights go back and forth between JFK/LGA/NWR and MSN/ORD.

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: No status yet. Though I'd check in with the knowledgeable crowd before making any alliances. ;-)

Reply: Currently Delta, but not by too wide a margin. I usually end up going with them because they offer up the most timing options - an important factor since I often go away only for a weekend or so. It helps having extra flights available for when I inevitably get delayed flying into a connecting airport.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi everyone, first time posting and keen to hear your thoughts.

Lots of travel last year 125k miles and haven't really felt much love from Air NZ. Looking to get Gold this year on any star alliance

What is your home airport?
JFK
What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y cheapest economy with in 20% of fare
How many miles do you usually fly each year?
75k-100k
Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
Star Alliance Silver (Air New Zealand)
What is most important to you in a FFP?
I would be happy with 2-3 international upgrades 2 domestic (US), free bag and lounge access.
Which routes do you fly most often?
JFK - Auckland New Zealand, JFK - London, Auckland - Melbourne, Domestic AUS, Domestic NZ, JFK-LA, JFK - Paris
Preferred Airlines
Delta, Air New Zealand, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, Lufthansa, Swiss
Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Own business, not adverse to spending more being specific with airlines I fly with and routing (i.e. layovers in Frankfurt or Zurich en route to London / Paris not an issue if I have lounge access).

Also have an Air NZ visa platinum which gets cheap $400 NZD for year access to Koru club which has LAX Star Alliance entrance, NZ domestic as well as Virgin Australia lounge access (domestic only). Earns 1 status point per $250 spent and 1 Air Point with $90 spent.

Am I better trying to cash in with an easy Star Alliance Gold airline or stick with Air New Zealand due to the credit card and 4 trips a year JFK NZ return (about 65k miles)

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:54 pm

Reply: good award redemption rates

Reply: 20000 miles and 2 flights (round trip)

Reply: economy

Reply: I am able to choose. I travel to visit my family.

Reply: transatlantic (Toronto - Tunis - Toronto)

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: YYZ

Reply: I don't

Reply: I haven't tried many airlines
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:53 am

HI guys, I also need a little help. PLEASE

I got a couple of friends who have travelled a lot in the last months but they belong to no program yet.
They have flown with TAM and Qatar and I am looking for a way to subscribe them and retro credit their trips. First of all, is that possible?
One of them is based in EU, the other one in Brasil.

BAEX would be ok for the EU one to book short weekend trips (even after devalutation).

any help please?

I will then read all the latest comments as I need to understand better about BA devaluation and redesign my strategies. thanks
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by idriveinuk
I got a couple of friends who have travelled a lot in the last months but they belong to no program yet.
They have flown with TAM and Qatar and I am looking for a way to subscribe them and retro credit their trips. First of all, is that possible?
For information on retro credits look at post 2 (~page 1) of this thread. For many ffp's you need to be a member at the date of the flight. I do not know about TAM or QR, but US did/does? allow retro credit up to 5 months. AA/US is a ffp that is good for many people
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, Aeroflot Bonus, Amex Gold, HHonors
And yet...

Hi all! I am new to this forum (although I've been using it as a reference for years!). Similar to a couple of recent posts, I am writing to ask for your help following the BAEC changes announced last week. I've been Silver for about 4 years, but since I mostly travel within Europe and pay for it myself, I'm now effectively priced out of the Executive Club (or at least any worthwhile status within it).

I've read the posts above and looked at all of the recommended threads. And yet... I'm planning to quit BAEC and I'd really appreciate your help with selecting the right program to join. Here are a few details.

I live in London. I do about 20-25 flights a year, mostly within Europe, although I always make 1-2 transatlantic trips and 3-4 trips to Moscow each year. I'm mostly interested in status (miles are really not that important, especially considering that I use Amex a lot). What really matters to me is bypassing the long check-in lines in airports, having access to the lounge, and of course upgrades. All of my flights are Economy or Premium Economy. I've been a member of Aeroflot Bonus for a few years, but haven't really used it, flying BA all the time.

I was thinking of committing to SkyTeam (Aeroflot perhaps), but then I live in London, so I'm not that sure. I'd really appreciate your view on what might be the optimal FF program for me.

Roberto
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:44 pm

Which FFP and How to Maximise Points

I'm new to FT and I'm finally in a position to afford travel for myself and 2 sons (14 and 20). We have our first of many trips planned in 50 days time - "Eastern Adventure"

I would like to know which FFP is best to join?
How to maximise my points?

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Upgrade, Priority Services and Lounge Access (In that order)

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: I live in the UK (Birmingham) my trips this year will be the following:
March 2015
MAN - DXB - BKK - SIN - DXB - BHX
December 2015
BHX - DXB - CPT - JNB - DXB - BHX
UK - Japan - Oz - Fiji - DXB - UK
UK - USA - UK
UK - JNB - UK

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Reply: Business

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:Yes I can choose Airline/Class

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
Reply: UK - DXB or LHR - Destination or MAN - Destination

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: BHX/MAN/LHR

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: EK - Silver.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Emirates, BA, - not really that fussed. But I like comfort especially on long haul flights.

Thanking YOU!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Flous95
I everyone, I'm French (sorry for my english...) and I look for an flyer program for One World and Star Alliance. I've already a frequent flyer program for SkyTeam : Flying blue but... I earn not much miles... just 4500
With few annual flights, and most of it intra Europe, it is unlikely you'll get any status.
I'd stick with Flying Blue due the higher chances you have to fly from hub on AF/KL metal, hence full miles earning.

With 6-10 sectors per year you'll be struggling to reach any status even in full J.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:38 am

Any advice for me?

Hi everyone, I am from Taiwan and live in Shanghai now. Do you have any advise for me?

Reply: Upgrades + Priority services+Baggage allowance+Lounge access
I have many Priority Cards so the priority can be as follows.
Priority check-in> Baggage allowance>Upgrades>Lounge access

Reply:10000 miles for business, 10 sectors for business
2000~10000 miles for pleasure, 4~6 sectors.

Reply:Economy

Reply:I am ok to choose airlines and class of service. Travel for work and pleasure.

Reply: Intra Asia

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:PVG, TPE

Reply: Star Alliance Gold (Gold in Aegean Airlines until early 2016), Skyteam Elite (Gold in China Airlines until early 2016), UA Silver (Match through Marriott membership)

Reply:Star Alliance is fine
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:05 am

Please help me decide which FF program is right for me. Thanks.

Reply: good award redemption rates

Reply:35000

Reply:economy

Reply: Yes, Pleasure

Reply: USA to India and within USA

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: LAX

Reply:Southwest 12,000, Emirates 10,800, AA about 1,000 miles and Delta 8,000 miles

Reply:none
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA United Southwest US Airways
New User Post

Show Wikipost
Old Feb 5, 15, 2:51 am - Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Questionnaire
In order for FlyerTalkers to better assist you, please copy and paste the following questionnaire into your post and provide the requested information:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:
U.S, transatlantic, transpacific
(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:LAX

Reply:AA Executive Platinum. 553,000 miles in AAFF

Reply:AA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.