Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Started & USAirways/United Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Getting Started & USAirways/United Itinerary

My wife and I are just getting our feet wet with setting up and understanding frequent flyer programs. We have some fledgling accounts with Delta, American Airlines, and United, as we travel to disparate parts of the country to visit family. We have also set up the same accounts for our daughter, who is 4.

Coming up in March, we will be traveling to the Caribbean, getting their via US airways and coming back via United. We don't have Dividend accounts with US Airways. Is it worth it given the merger with American? We'd prefer to keep track of as few programs as possible, but don't want to miss out on passive benefits from travel we've already planned.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by Blenny01
My wife and I are just getting our feet wet with setting up and understanding frequent flyer programs. We have some fledgling accounts with Delta, American Airlines, and United, as we travel to disparate parts of the country to visit family. We have also set up the same accounts for our daughter, who is 4.

Coming up in March, we will be traveling to the Caribbean, getting their via US airways and coming back via United. We don't have Dividend accounts with US Airways. Is it worth it given the merger with American? We'd prefer to keep track of as few programs as possible, but don't want to miss out on passive benefits from travel we've already planned.

Any advice is appreciated!
If your flight is before March 30th, 2014, you can credit your US miles to United. If it takes place after, presumably you should be able to credit them to American. (I don't know if that <American> announcement has been made yet, but I'd imagine it to be the case.)

When you check in for the flight, associate the reservation with the appropriate frequent flier account and airline. If you forget, you should be able to do it after the fact as long as you keep the information & boarding passes from the flight.

Many airlines are members of alliances (SkyTeam, Oneworld, and Star Alliance) that allow cross-earning/redemption on other partner airlines. Additionally, many airlines have non-alliance partners. You already have one on each of the big three alliances (SkyTeam - Delta, Oneworld - American, Star - United). US is currently part of Star and is moving to Oneworld on March 30th.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the forum

How many miles do you have with Delta, American Airlines, and United and when do they expire?

Actual dates are important. On March 31 US Airway moves to the OneWorld alliance. www.oneworld.com

If both flights are before March 30th, 2014, you can credit your US & UA flights to United FFP. US Airways is a partner in the UA FFP until 30 March
Or you can open a US Airways DM account to collect miles for both the US & UA flights. At some time in the future those US Airway miles will be AA miles.

If the UA return flight is after 31 March then UA is the only place for the miles from the return flight.

However be aware that having different freq flyer number on different flights in a return ticket can be problematic. Simplier if the same FFP is in both flights

Have a look at the linked here in post 9 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923398-post9.html
If you fly in frequently its not a good idea to have to many FFP accounts.
Miles may/will expire and you will never get enough miles to be useful for an awards
Having AA UA & Delta accounts is OK, as they cover many partner airlines/flights.
Also Alaska is good FFP and has many partners, including Delta & AA http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
You can also apply your US flight miles to AA at this point, though you can't credit them to more than one airline. The flight on UA cannot be credited directly to AA under any circumstances.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
It is very easy to keep credit of miles and their expiration if you use a program like awardwallet. I fly infrequently, and have miles/points in about ten programs. Awardwallet makes it easy for me to keep on top of my totals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.