Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

RTW trip flying Y - cheapest lounge access for 2 Adults & 3 Children (UK based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW trip flying Y - cheapest lounge access for 2 Adults & 3 Children (UK based)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Question RTW trip flying Y - cheapest lounge access for 2 Adults & 3 Children (UK based)

We have 8 legs for our upcoming RTW trip, all in economy with various airlines

From my research the cheapest way to get all 5 of us into a lounge before each flight is the AMEX Platinum + additional card for my wife which would get 4 of us in each time and pay £24 for our 3rd child. Total cost is £842 inc the £650 AMEX fee. Youngest child is 3 so i believe is chargeable in most lounges

Kids are 8, 6 & 3 so pretty young

Any other better ways of doing this?

TIA

Last edited by charltonfan1; Today at 5:13 am
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charltonfan1
We have 8 legs for our upcoming RTW trip, all in economy with various airlines

From my research the cheapest way to get all 5 of us into a lounge before each flight is the AMEX Platinum + additional card for my wife which would get 4 of us in each time and pay £24 for our 3rd child. Total cost is £842 inc the £650 AMEX fee. Youngest child is 3 so i believe is chargeable in most lounges

Any other better ways of doing this?
Have you checked all the airports you are visiting have Amex eligible lounges?
What is your route and airlines/alliance?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have you checked all the airports you are visiting have Amex eligible lounges?
What is your route and airlines/alliance?
AMEX alows Priority Pass access so think most of these are good for that

LGW-YYZ Air Transat
YYX-LAX Porter
LAX-NRT Singapore
NRT-BWN Royal Brunei
BWN-SIN (Via BKI) Air Asia
SIN-DPS Air Asia
DPS-KUL-DXB Batik then Emirates
DXB-LHR Emirates
Old Yesterday, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Generally this should be fine. I’ve used priority pass for family access when traveling in Asia and found the lounges to be decent.

You are missing the fee for additional user in your cost calculations as you’ll need that to get 4 people in for free. Here’s what I see for fees in the UK for a supplementary user:
- An annual fee of £285 applies to each Platinum Supplementary Card.

Are there any other cards in the UK that include priority pass but at a lower cost? Another option you could look at is getting two different cards that have priority pass but give you additional benefits vs a Plat supplementary card
Old Today, 1:55 am

There are quite a few cards that come with PP - and fees and conditions for guests vary - or a direct PP membership. There's also Dragon Pass and Diners Club that offer pretty good coverage. And most lounges will offer paid access - which in the ned is likely to be more expensive but it depends.

Also - how important is lounge acces to your wife and kids - mine don't care for lounges and would rather go to the starbucks and/or run around the airport. E.g. SIN has lot's of great things to do for kids - much better than going to a lounge.
Old Today, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samplat
Generally this should be fine. I’ve used priority pass for family access when traveling in Asia and found the lounges to be decent.

You are missing the fee for additional user in your cost calculations as you’ll need that to get 4 people in for free. Here’s what I see for fees in the UK for a supplementary user:
- An annual fee of £285 applies to each Platinum Supplementary Card.

Are there any other cards in the UK that include priority pass but at a lower cost? Another option you could look at is getting two different cards that have priority pass but give you additional benefits vs a Plat supplementary card
Thanks for your thoughts. AMEX Platinum currently has a 1 free supplementary card so both my wife and I would have full PP access for us and 1 guest each for the £650 annual fee

Yes i have added the £24 fee x 8 lounges for our 3rd child in my cost total of £842
Old Today, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
There are quite a few cards that come with PP - and fees and conditions for guests vary - or a direct PP membership. There's also Dragon Pass and Diners Club that offer pretty good coverage. And most lounges will offer paid access - which in the ned is likely to be more expensive but it depends.

Also - how important is lounge acces to your wife and kids - mine don't care for lounges and would rather go to the starbucks and/or run around the airport. E.g. SIN has lot's of great things to do for kids - much better than going to a lounge.
Thankls for this info.

Dragon pass would need 5 memberships for $259 and allow 8 lounge visits so a total cost of $1295 (£1,041) so more than my calc for AMEX Plat (£842). Amex Plat would also allow us to get lounge access on other holidays in the next 12 months for only the additional £24 for 3 child as well from what i can see PP with the Amex gains access to more lounge options than Dragon Pass

I havent considered Diners club so will research that - thanks

Your final point is a good one. Our kids are young so would need to stay next to us, so roaming round a busy airport is not something we want to be doing much, hence going to a lounge where they are contained and we can get food/drink for free - thats our thinking
Old Today, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Looks like Diners Club is not a thing in the UK other than for B2B. Can't seem to apply for a card as a n individual like you can from the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.