Reload this Page >

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Are they legit? Short answer: No

Virtually all award programs prohibit the sale, barter and purchase of awards and/or miles (except through channels specifically identified in the program T&C and/or endorsed by the program). Many airlines are known to audit their FFPs for such fraudulent transactions, and to aggressively enforce their programs' rules.

By definition, so-called "mileage" brokers are not legitimate. It is important to understand that they do not actually broker miles, but rather act as a middle-man to facilitate the purchase of award tickets. The seller redeems miles from his/her account for an award in a buyer's name. The broker pays the seller on behalf of the buyer. A clear audit trail is left in the process.

Consequences

If this activity is identified by the airline, the seller will lose any miles remaining in his/her account, the account will be terminated, and the seller will be banned from participating in that airline's program. The seller may also be subject to payment of monetary damages. Buyers, when attempting to travel on a purchased award, may be denied boarding at any point on the itinerary. At best, a special trip might not happen. At worst, the buyer might be stranded halfway around the world and forced to purchase a significantly more expensive one-way ticket in order to get home.

Moderator Note

Please be reminded that FlyerTalk Rules prohibit posts that support, encourage or promote fraudulent activities against individuals or companies.
Posts naming specific mileage brokers and/or containing links to broker websites
may be redacted or deleted.
Print Wikipost

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
huh?
Buying/selling miles from a third party is against the program rules for pretty much every airline.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
While the airlines may not be thrilled with it, you would be paying for someone to transfer AMEX Membership Rewards points or Chase UR points to your account. It will work just fine as long as they hold up their end of the deal.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:39 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I have been a member of the norwegian website for a while.

Does anyone have experience with a website?

I am going on a rather long honeymoon and I am trying to get business tickets as cheap as possible. The company gave me an estimate of 4k per person on a flights from sag to ppt in biz.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the best price for the route mentioned above?

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:54 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: PMUA
Where is SAG airport? I can't find that code in any data bases

ps. web-site looks ghetto as hell
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:21 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
They have many similar websites.

If the airline finds out you paid a third party for your ticket which was purchased using FF miles they will cancel your ticket.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:54 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
I would highly recommend not booking through one of those sites. They are a risk and for a honeymoon, it's worth banking on peace of mind. I'd recommend that you book directly with airlines, or via the reputable travel sites like travelocity, orbitz, priceline, expedia, etc...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Karlson
Where is SAG airport? I can't find that code in any data bases

ps. web-site looks ghetto as hell
Likewise, I have no idea what airport SAG is that you're referring to...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shocker077
Likewise, I have no idea what airport SAG is that you're referring to...
My guess is Stavanger (SVG)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:48 am

Honeymoon

Sorry! I meant to say svg(stavanger)

It looks ghetto but I had to ask

So the safest way to buy the ticket from a reputable site. On the other hand, does anyone know of a different place or method to get the tickets at a discounted price?
I was quoted about 6k for svg-ppt and return and I was hoping to lower the price a bit.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:59 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
To buy biz class outright is going to be expensive

Many FT'ers join airline alliances and get credit cards that offer miles to rack up miles. However given the lack of competition to PPT it may be unlikely to lower the price except for possibly going in off season, and that still won't lower the price appreciably.
You're also looking for flights between a city pair that isn't a well traveled route.
One suggestion would be to price FRA to PPT and see if that changes the price at all.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are probably no discount published fares for SVG-PPT.
I would look at booking two tickets, for example SVG-LAX or SVG-HNL can be quite cheap flying via LHR/JFK/LAX, then onwards to PPT.

A real travel agent may be able to help as well.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:44 am

I am a member of several airline alliances but I have yet to collect a substantial amount of points. I managed to miss the 2 for 1 offer from life miles just before christmas which really bothers me cause a week ago I saw an offer with bonus miles in biz. The only problem was that I didn't have any points...

I am currently talking to a travel agency but all they can offer me is biz at a ridiculous price..

I will look into flying from paris.

Does anyone know if ita matrix will show all of the major airlines and availability?

Thank you so much for answering!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes ITA Matrix will show any published fare from all major airlines.

What dates are you looking at? What prices are you finding?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
It might not show some deals such as the current one for CX, as well as MH.

Keep an eye out on the "Premium Fares 2014" thread in the Mileage Run forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
What annoys me the most are trolls for the mileage brokers who post rave reviews in forums such as these. Just click through on a few of the favorable stories -- especially posted by FFs with only a few past posts -- and you'll find that virtually all of their other posts relate to this topic and usually relate to a particular broker. I won't call anyone out, but that practice makes one wonder about the ethics associated with these businesses and diminishes the value of real insights. I wouldn't do business with these shops particularly because of this practice. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.