Reload this Page >

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Are they legit? Short answer: No

Virtually all award programs prohibit the sale, barter and purchase of awards and/or miles (except through channels specifically identified in the program T&C and/or endorsed by the program). Many airlines are known to audit their FFPs for such fraudulent transactions, and to aggressively enforce their programs' rules.

By definition, so-called "mileage" brokers are not legitimate. It is important to understand that they do not actually broker miles, but rather act as a middle-man to facilitate the purchase of award tickets. The seller redeems miles from his/her account for an award in a buyer's name. The broker pays the seller on behalf of the buyer. A clear audit trail is left in the process.

Consequences

If this activity is identified by the airline, the seller will lose any miles remaining in his/her account, the account will be terminated, and the seller will be banned from participating in that airline's program. The seller may also be subject to payment of monetary damages. Buyers, when attempting to travel on a purchased award, may be denied boarding at any point on the itinerary. At best, a special trip might not happen. At worst, the buyer might be stranded halfway around the world and forced to purchase a significantly more expensive one-way ticket in order to get home.

Moderator Note

Please be reminded that FlyerTalk Rules prohibit posts that support, encourage or promote fraudulent activities against individuals or companies.
Posts naming specific mileage brokers and/or containing links to broker websites
may be redacted or deleted.
Print Wikipost

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Originally Posted by ddallas
Where do you sell your miles to get the best return?
I've seen several threads across FT, SD, and FW discussing these and I think it varies. However, like it's been stressed numerous times, you are taking a not-minuscule risk that you'll be caught and lose every point with the program.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:54 am

what poses the least risk..transferring Chase UR points straight to a broker's airline program..or transferring to your own airline program and having broker purchase tickets in your account? It seems option 1 would put you at risk from Chase and option 2 from the airline program.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What poses the least risk is, if you don't want miles and prefer cash... get and use a 2% cash back card. You can skip the intermediary step and risk of someone getting a clue and closing your account.

It's not as much fun as sticking it to "the man" by violating program terms you agreed to as a condition of accepting the miles, obviously, but hey...
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
what poses the least risk..transferring Chase UR points straight to a broker's airline program..or transferring to your own airline program and having broker purchase tickets in your account? It seems option 1 would put you at risk from Chase and option 2 from the airline program.
I would transfer to your own airline account. It seems Chase is clamping down on 3rd party transfers. Just make sure you don't have a balance in your airline account greater than what you are selling.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What poses the least risk is, if you don't want miles and prefer cash... get and use a 2% cash back card. You can skip the intermediary step and risk of someone getting a clue and closing your account.

It's not as much fun as sticking it to "the man" by violating program terms you agreed to as a condition of accepting the miles, obviously, but hey...
A 2% card would be quite useless to me since I accumulate 90% of my miles through sign up bonuses. The risk of selling miles can be minimized if you know what you're doing and do it in moderation.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:52 pm

thanks...but next time either answer the question or don't respond..

a 2% card has nothing to do with huge sign up bonus miles that some would like to sell.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by samdori
I would transfer to your own airline account. It seems Chase is clamping down on 3rd party transfers. Just make sure you don't have a balance in your airline account greater than what you are selling.
that makes sense...a shut down of an airline program is no biggie for me...there won't be any miles left to confiscate... and if I ever did need that airline again, that's what spouses are for..lol
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

a 2% card has nothing to do with huge sign up bonus miles that some would like to sell.
I believe he answered your question just fine. If you don't like to travel, there are better ways of making an extra buck than selling valuable miles at 1.3 per cent.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
I believe he answered your question just fine. If you don't like to travel, there are better ways of making an extra buck than selling valuable miles at 1.3 per cent.

actually, no he didn't answer my question..and it's 1.5 cents....and no, there actually isn't a lot of easier ways than making a quick buck. Filing an application and a few stops at CVS for $750....doesn't get my easier.

I value those miles just fine thank you
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

You wanted to know what the least risk is. It's relatively easy to generate enough spend on a 2% cash back card that gets you $750 cash back. You also aren't entering into a contract with another party (the airline running a mileage program) under false pretenses, which is where the risk lies.

But hey, we all get to determine where our ethical boundaries are for our "hobbies" on our own... so that's fine.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:59 am

You wanted to know what the least risk is. It's relatively easy to generate enough spend on a 2% cash back card that gets you $750 cash back. You also aren't entering into a contract with another party (the airline running a mileage program) under false pretenses, which is where the risk lies.

But hey, we all get to determine where our ethical boundaries are for our "hobbies" on our own... so that's fine.
not as easy as submitting an app on your computer and getting 50k points..
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
not as easy as submitting an app on your computer and getting 50k points..
Naked while drinking a beer.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:32 am

I think you are perhaps not in the best forum for your type of activity. While there are many helpful people here, this site is dedicated to travel. Most of the long time experts on these forums are experts at getting the best travel value out of their miles/points.

There are many sites where "flipping" miles for cash is discussed ad nauseum. This is not one of those sites.

This is not the first time that you have criticized someone for offering an answer to your question or been rude to another member:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post21173093

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post20360991

You are very hungry to have people feed you ideas to profit from, but so far have not contributed to the FT community. In the short time that you have been a member, you have built quite a history of being ungrateful to long time members.

I suggest that you would find this a much more rewarding forum if you engage in discussions about alternative ideas, rather than insult the people that suggest them. A 2% cash back card may not fit your needs right now, but what are you going to do when your sign-up bonuses run dry? Or on the chance that you do get "caught" laundering miles by a bank or airline?

FT is great site where you can learn things about the world everyday if you're willing to simply click a few links into unfamiliar topics.

If you're only looking to make a quick buck from your miles, there are probably other sites that are better suited to your interests.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Zing!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Please don't take a chance selling your miles. It's not against the law, but it definitely is against the airlines' rules and regulations. It's fairly easy for them to spot an illicit transaction and you just don't want to chance it. Give the miles to your relatives for their exclusive use or give them to charity and you may be able to get a tax deduction. I've had considerable experience and please believe me it's just not worth even considering it. United and AA are particularly adept at determining these types of transactions and will penalize you heavily if discovered. They also have the option of canceling your account(s).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maltasr
give them to charity and you may be able to get a tax deduction. .
impossible. thanks for playing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.