Indian SIM card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indian SIM card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
This post is from september and things haven't changed. And you can get BIS activated - though easier if you just get GPRS activated and use that with say a nokia smartphone

asianmom

Hi, I got my Airtel SIM card at the internaional airport like adviced, no problem there.I suspect I could have gotten away even without the ID photos but the lady at the counter caught sight of the stack of photos I had in the purse so I was 1 shoot poorer.In all, I had to submit
a) proof of residency ( apparently, the address would be best from Delhi) in the form of confirmation letter from hotel.
b) cash (no CC allowed)
c)photo.
And the card cost 500 rupees, non refundable, amount stored also subject to taxes, so for example, if you paid 1000rupees, you only get 900 something value in the card.
but the card was really value for money, we made 20-30 international calls home without depleting the 1000 rupees .
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by adambadam
I'm bumping this old thread to see if anyone has some more recent encounters with purchasing SIM cards upon arrival in Delhi. My family is going to visit various cities across the country and we will all have unlocked phones we just need SIM cards that will work to call back to the US and call each other preferably for cheap and also if possible connect with a BIS or some other data connection.

What should we bring with us when we get to India to make this process easy?

Thanks for your help.
Hi adambadam,

I went through this in November of this year. I could not find anywhere in the int'l terminal to buy a SIM card. I ended up asking my hotel concierge for help - they not only advised me on options, but actually went out and bought me the card (after I gave them some cash!)

It was very inexpensive and the card works great. The only problem I am having is how to put more $$ on the card as I can't do it on the Airtel website (they won't take a non-Indian credit card).

Bring 2 passport photos, a photocopy of your passport and your visa, and some rupees. If you can go through your hotel, they should take care of the proof of residency for you.

Also you might do some research on the Airtel or Reliance websites so you know what kind you want (there are multiple plans).

Good luck!

Truly
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Truly
It was very inexpensive and the card works great. The only problem I am having is how to put more $$ on the card as I can't do it on the Airtel website (they won't take a non-Indian credit card).
When you come back to India - or if you have a friend or colleague in India, just buy a recharge coupon. That has a recharge code (you'll have to scratch the card with a coin to display it). The coupon also has instructions on how to recharge it.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:56 am

Thanks hserus!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
What rates are you all paying per min back to the US? Is Airtel the only or best company?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:50 am

plenty of companies - airtel, vodafone, etc. most of them with reasonably similar service.
calls back to the USA are relatively cheap from indian cellphones (though i'd suggest use skype out from your laptop for longer calls)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by hserus
plenty of companies - airtel, vodafone, etc. most of them with reasonably similar service.
calls back to the USA are relatively cheap from indian cellphones (though i'd suggest use skype out from your laptop for longer calls)
Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by chanp
What rates are you all paying per min back to the US? Is Airtel the only or best company?
reasonable for short calls as hserus said. I think airtel was 12 INR/min and Reliance was 8 or 9 INR per min when I used it last summer. rates may have changed a bit.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I too have been seeing 8-12 rupees per minute if not using a call-back service or other arrangement.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:01 pm

There are three main carriers: Airtel, Reliance, and Vodaphone. I would pick the one that has the best coverage in the area you're going to be traveling in the most.

You can now buy cell phone service by the second, not the minute. For my service, local calls are 1 paise (1/100th of a rupee) per second, so, rs .6 per minute. Calls to the US are around rs 15 per minute - roughly 30 cents. Quite an improvement over the $2.49 ATT is charging me.

I do try to Skype for longer calls, but for when I am away from the laptop, the local SIM card is the way to go. It's invaluable for coordinating with drivers, etc.

Truly
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: CX, AC, Starwood
I use Airtel... it costs me 6.5 INR per minute to Canada... for what that's worth.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:55 pm

Thanks everyone. My main areas will be Delhi, Bombay and Goa with a few days in Chandigarh.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Any SIMs that have internet access for a windows mobile phone?

I will be traveling to Andhra Pradesh in April and would like to pick the best SIM as far as price to call the US and that has internet service as part of a prepay scenario.

Thank you,

Dr. Steve
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:31 am

Use any sim card that you get - they're much the same in terms of service in the big cities. Airtel / Vodafone etc are should work just fine and the costs too are about the same. Internet service - you can call the helpdesk (you'll find the number automatically added to your phone address book) or walk into a service center for the carrier, and ask them to turn it on for you.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Thanks for your reply. I just got back from a trip to Tanzania and South Africa and was amazed how cheaply I could call the US with local SIMs. I had been using Telestial a UK based World-SIM on previous trips to UK, Italy, Peru, etc. and would always end up spending $75/trip on calls home.

Originally Posted by hserus
Use any sim card that you get - they're much the same in terms of service in the big cities. Airtel / Vodafone etc are should work just fine and the costs too are about the same. Internet service - you can call the helpdesk (you'll find the number automatically added to your phone address book) or walk into a service center for the carrier, and ask them to turn it on for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.