Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

International Transit Zone in Delhi???

Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Hi there!

I'm hoping someone here can help clarify things at the Terminal 3 of Delhi Airport.

I'm arriving with BA and leaving with Jet Lite to get to Kathmandu.

Is it possible to not have a visa and simply stay in the international transit area while I wait for the next flight?

I understand that baggage will be moved for you and re-checked (is that correct)

What about boarding passes?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
There is a transfer lounge before immigration. Even have a smoking area. I didn't venture in, but I am certain there is a counter for getting tickets printed, etc. There didn't appear to be any food options on that level, though, so you would need to go into the actual terminal to get something to eat.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to ft kncole....you should be able to get all this done in the transit area....however, it would be best if you got a transit visa....makes things much more simple....
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

My passport is currently at the embassy for a double entry tourist visa so that I can get in and out after being in Nepal for 21 days.

I'm getting worried that it won't be done in time, and thinking about pulling it so I wanted to be sure that I can actually get through the airport and have my bags on the flight, and get myself checked in without crossing the immigration line.

It's got me really worried that my whole trip is going to get ruined - so if people out there have been through Terminal 3 and checked in for their next flight and had their bags moved for them - I would love to hear how the process works!

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kncole
My passport is currently at the embassy for a double entry tourist visa so that I can get in and out after being in Nepal for 21 days.

I'm getting worried that it won't be done in time, and thinking about pulling it so I wanted to be sure that I can actually get through the airport and have my bags on the flight, and get myself checked in without crossing the immigration line.

It's got me really worried that my whole trip is going to get ruined - so if people out there have been through Terminal 3 and checked in for their next flight and had their bags moved for them - I would love to hear how the process works!

Thanks!
please be advised that even with a multiple entry visa, you cannot enter india before 2 months from your last trip....you can get special permission from the embassy but its better to clarify before you leave for your trip....

Last edited by Keyser; Sep 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm Reason: corrected the number of months....
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by saad
please be advised that even with a multiple entry visa, you cannot enter india before 6 months from your last trip....you can get special permission from the embassy but its better to clarify before you leave for your trip....
6 months? when did it change from 2 months?

To the OP: I have not done an int-to-int transfer at the new terminal, but it was possible even in the old terminal. The old airport was designed to make transfers as hard as possible, while the new airport was built with transferring in mind...I don't expect a problem. But again, I haven't done it myself.

Come to think of it, there are two potential problems. One is baggage. If your Jetlite ticket is on the same record as BA, no problem, but BA will not send luggage to a non-OneWorld airline if it's on separate tickets. It will be tagged to DEL and has to be picked up there.

Second, note that whether it is 2 months or 6 months, you cannot enter India for a second time after 21 days in Nepal unless you get prior permission (or if your visa is of some non-tourist type). So it is imperative for you not to enter India more than once.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

It's 2 months but special permission is part of the application.

The airport when I last spoke to them said that baggage would be moved by staff at the Transfer desk in the International Transfer area.

It seems like there are check-in desk there as well so I'm assuming getting a boarding pass won't be a problem.

I just want to know if anyone has done it and can confirm that bags will be moved and boarding passes will be issued in the transfer area.

***And please correct me if I'm wrong - but if I stay in the transfer area - I do NOT cross immigration and do NOT need a visa***
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kalia960
6 months? when did it change from 2 months?
my bad....i meant to write 2 months....don't know where the '6' came from....have corrected it in my previous post....
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

***And please correct me if I'm wrong - but if I stay in the transfer area - I do NOT cross immigration and do NOT need a visa***
that is correct....
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:06 pm

The airport when I last spoke to them said that baggage would be moved by staff at the Transfer desk in the International Transfer area.
This is true if your bags are tagged to the final destination. But BA will not tag to final destination if your flight to KTM on Jetlite is on a separate ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I think my only way of being sure that I can actually go on my trip is to simply give up on having checked luggage.

I'm going to go with carry-on only so that I can stay in the transfer zone and make the transition without needing a visa of any kind.

It sucks but better to go with less than not go at all.

Does this sound like I'll be ok to people?

(Thank you for all your input)
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think my only way of being sure that I can actually go on my trip is to simply give up on having checked luggage.

I'm going to go with carry-on only so that I can stay in the transfer zone and make the transition without needing a visa of any kind.

It sucks but better to go with less than not go at all.

Does this sound like I'll be ok to people?

(Thank you for all your input)
i know a bunch of people who were in a similar position as you & they managed to get the jet staff to transfer their luggage....so i honestly don't think you will have a problem....but if you do decide to travel without any checked-in luggage then i guess there is nothing to worry about....
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I posted this elsewhere but I will ask here as well.
Flying on Jet Airways all the way from CMB to DAC via Delhi.
Will I need an Indian visa (transit or otherwise)?
I do not intend to leave the terminal and I assume I will not have to do so in order to transfer from one international flight to another.
TIA.
PS My quick search so far indicates that I do not need any visas.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I posted this elsewhere but I will ask here as well.
Flying on Jet Airways all the way from CMB to DAC via Delhi.
Will I need an Indian visa (transit or otherwise)?
I do not intend to leave the terminal and I assume I will not have to do so in order to transfer from one international flight to another.
TIA.
PS My quick search so far indicates that I do not need any visas.
i answered in the other thread you started as well....the short answer is 'no', you will not need a visa as long as you stay in the transit zone....
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by saad
i answered in the other thread you started as well....the short answer is 'no', you will not need a visa as long as you stay in the transit zone....
saad,
Thank you. I saw your answer but you implied a that a further search might be needed.
Do you know this for a fact or do I need to check with the embassy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.