Booking trains in India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking trains in India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
A number of previous posters have mentioned that it is easy to buy trains on the Indian Rail website, but when I tried it, it required a +91 Indian cell phone number (and required the code from an SMS sent to that number to get through the registration process).

Is there a way around this requirement?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
A number of previous posters have mentioned that it is easy to buy trains on the Indian Rail website, but when I tried it, it required a +91 Indian cell phone number (and required the code from an SMS sent to that number to get through the registration process).

I'm afraid not. unless someone you know in india is ok with giving you his cellphone number so he can get the code
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

best to get in touch with a ta....if you want then i can recommend the one i use....
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:36 am
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
AC First or Chair?

[QUOTE=Keyser;15314444]i've taken train journeys between delhi- chandigarh a number of times....mostly i book in the executive chair car & its extremely comfortable....

I need to take this same trip later this year. I just looked at cleartrip and am both AC First or AC Chair are available. As a single female traveling alone I'm wondering if it makes a difference which I should get for this trip?
I traveled Del-Agra by train last year in AC Chair was fine and it was easy because I was with friends who are locals. I don't really want a separate sitting area or berth as I like people watching I just want to be sure I'm by a window so I can see the country side etc. and I want to be close to the flush toilet, and not the toilet that empties on the track (which my friends took great joy in sending to that one! ) Does one need to reserve the seat # at time of booking? Do you think AC Chair will be ok?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by k2o
I need to take this same trip later this year. I just looked at cleartrip and am both AC First or AC Chair are available. As a single female traveling alone I'm wondering if it makes a difference which I should get for this trip?
I traveled Del-Agra by train last year in AC Chair was fine and it was easy because I was with friends who are locals. I don't really want a separate sitting area or berth as I like people watching I just want to be sure I'm by a window so I can see the country side etc. and I want to be close to the flush toilet, and not the toilet that empties on the track (which my friends took great joy in sending to that one! ) Does one need to reserve the seat # at time of booking? Do you think AC Chair will be ok?
i would definitely go with the ac chair....
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:50 pm
k2o

Originally Posted by Keyser
i would definitely go with the ac chair....
Thanks Keyser!
Maybe you'll be around during the time I'm there. Would love to meet you.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k2o
Thanks Keyser!
Maybe you'll be around during the time I'm there. Would love to meet you.
let me know when you are in delhi....would be great to meet up....
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:03 pm
k2o

let me know when you are in delhi....would be great to meet up....
YGPM
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

You can get a SIM in India easily.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Is this a new requirement? I set up an online account about 15 months ago and did not need to put in an Indian mobile number. In fact, I just logged in and checked my profile and the mobile number was blank.

The web site is certainly the easiest way to book tickets. It can be tricky trying to pay with a foreign credit card though. I eventually was able to do it with an American Express card.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:43 am

This page explains how to buy train tickets outside India by internet and CC without having to receive an Indian SMS.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm headed to India with my family in a couple of months and see that there are some potentially useful overnight trains. But I also see that there are many low cost airfares. I'm just back from Thailand and I took the overnight train from BKK to Chiang Mai based on the positive reviews it gets. In reality, I think I would have been better off flying: the first class sleepers weren't too nice, the train was quite late, and I got a bad night's sleep. If I didn't particularly like Thai trains, am I correct in believing I probably won't like Indian trains as well?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm headed to India with my family in a couple of months and see that there are some potentially useful overnight trains. But I also see that there are many low cost airfares. I'm just back from Thailand and I took the overnight train from BKK to Chiang Mai based on the positive reviews it gets. In reality, I think I would have been better off flying: the first class sleepers weren't too nice, the train was quite late, and I got a bad night's sleep. If I didn't particularly like Thai trains, am I correct in believing I probably won't like Indian trains as well?
i've found indian trains to be better than thai trains but its fair to say that if you didn't like one you probably won't like the other....
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i've found indian trains to be better than thai trains but its fair to say that if you didn't like one you probably won't like the other....
And I may not, but as I looked at possible itineraries, I see that between some destinations trains work and planes don't. So it looks like I may be riding the rails. I'm following the complex instructions on seat61.com to register to purchase train tickets. Between this and my visa application, I'm already getting a good introduction to India.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Hmmm..
I would say it depends on which trains ..
For eg.. Rajdhani Express 2nd A/c and 1st A/c is really good IMHO..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.