Reload this Page >

Need help asap-Daughter overstayed her Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help asap-Daughter overstayed her Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:22 am

Has the the requirement for a tax clearance certificate from foreigners in India more than four months been rescinded?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Go to the FRRO a d be humble, play the 'I'm a stupid student' card. Showing up with a lawyer aggravates matters at this first stage. Some FRROs are corrupt and may ask for money, but only after you are made to meet the DC after a long wait. I would not pay anything just admit what she did and stay humble, eventually they will let her go. I recall my one visit to the FRRO about 10 uears ago for my mother: the DC told me point blank 'as a foreigner you are a guest with no rights'. Keep that in mind. Lawyers can't help much only real legal challenges to FRRO/MHA can be done at the High Court level, but only for deportation issues.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wyseson
The LA Times had a horror story about a visa overstay in India. After reading it I never want to overstay a visa.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...nap-story.html
I'd call "horror story" an over-dramatization. Overstaying a visa is a serious issue, and there are many countries in the world where it would result in a much worse experience (i.e. immediately being sent to jail).
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Oliver2002, this is EXACTLY what she did today and it took all day. Thank you! She was told that it may take up to one month to get the exit visa.

FRRO said that they need to verify her form Cs (where she has been staying during her overstay) and that they would "call her".

She is going to the US Embassy tomorrow (they were closed over the weekend and Labor Day) to ask for help. She now has extra letters from the Fellowship and will try to go back to the FRRO after the Embassy.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:16 pm

Any update on this?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Daughter is home safely after 13 nights.

Here are her notes.

1. Applied online through the FRRO website for an exit permit: required documents which I scanned and uploaded included a passport size photo, 2 forms of ID proof, and C forms documenting all stays in hotels and private residences during my time in India; recommended documents which I scanned and uploaded included my plane tickets for the missed flight, plane tickets for the rescheduled flight, fellowship grant letter and email correspondence with my university, correspondence with the studio I was working at, and addition forms of ID proof. Site was difficult to navigate and had very specific requirements for file type and size of uploaded documents. After submitting, I received a confirmation email with date and time of in-person appointment at the FRRO.

2. Applied in person at the FRRO for an exit permit. I submitted hard copies of all the documents above and a hard copy of the application form. I also kept a hard copy of all of the above for my records; this was also useful later. First showed all documents outside, was approved and given a number, waited inside, submitted all documents inside. ~4 hours total. Given a slip proving I had applied. Was told processing would take up to 1 month.

3. Called the US Embassy to ask if they could help or accelerate processing; they said not much.

4. Returned daily to the FRRO to ask if any other documents were required or if I could do anything to accelerate processing.

5. Began reaching out to friends, family, and university for personal contacts at the FRRO. Hotel concierge knew FRRO officer, so he organized an appointment for me. Met FRRO officer and gave verbal explanation for overstay (simple mistake), officer told me permit would be ready the next day.

6. Not ready the next day. Kept returning daily to the FRRO to ask if any other documents were required or if I could do anything to accelerate processing.

7. 11 days after submitting initial application in person, discovered processing was complete aside from one signature.

8. 12 days after submitting, discovered processing was complete (FRRO did not call as they had initially told me). I paid a fine of 1850 INR (about $30) and received a stamp in my passport as well as a separate Exit Permit on paper. No other fines, restrictions or penalties.

Advice and conclusions: If you have overstayed any kind of visa in India or stayed past the 180-day limit with a still-valid visa (as I did), be ready for a long wait for permission to leave the country.

Make copies and scans of all documents you submit. Only submit required documents, but keep a folder with anything else that you think might be helpful in case an officer wants further evidence.

Tell a clear, concise, perhaps somewhat simplified explanation of your trip and reasons for overstay (making it as straightforward as possible for officer to help you). Stay in as few different places as possible after discovering you have overstayed (same as above).

Act politely and confidently; try not to lose your cool when interacting with officers and while waiting at the FRRO as I suspect officers have considerable discretion in granting exit permission. Personal contacts within the FRRO may or may not be helpful.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marlin
Daughter is home safely after 13 nights.
Congratulations! Thanks for providing the details!
13 days is a great outcome given the seriousness of the issue!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Acid
Congratulations! Thanks for providing the details!
13 days is a great outcome given the seriousness of the issue!
agreed....glad she returned home safely....
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Interesting to hear that they have automated the exit visa process too... makes it more transparent ^
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Interesting to hear that they have automated the exit visa process too... makes it more transparent ^
It's been basically the same process for at least the last 5 years. It does work but the timing to get the formalities done does vary.

The exit permit is sometimes way faster to get than to get a entry visa renewal/extension while in India, but the time frames for that too vary.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I'd call "horror story" an over-dramatization. Overstaying a visa is a serious issue, and there are many countries in the world where it would result in a much worse experience (i.e. immediately being sent to jail).
Totally agree. The writer of the story stuffed up, but it's everyone else's fault but her own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.