Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Incorrect passport number on evisa, what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I recently applied for an e-visa. My application was granted. I now see on the confirmation email that the passport number is wrong. One of the digits is wrong, I made a typo when inputting the number.

I'm flying from PNH-KUL-MAA in eight days.

I emailed the visa folks and got a reply back that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Should I reapply and pay another $75? What is the risk that Air Asia catches the error and won't let me on the plane, or worse, that they let me on the plane and I fly to Chennai and then get denied entry?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I emailed the visa folks and got a reply back that doesn't make a lot of sense.
what did the reply say????
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It said the application can't be edited and I should wait for the confirmation. I already have the confirmation; the visa has been approved, wrong passport number. I've emailed them back to explain this again.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It said the application can't be edited and I should wait for the confirmation. I already have the confirmation; the visa has been approved, wrong passport number. I've emailed them back to explain this again.
wait to see what they say....

i have a contact at immigration & i asked him this question earlier this morning after i read your thread....even he was unsure what would happen as they have not come across such a situation so far....
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:46 pm

your best bet might be to reapply again
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:51 am

Reapply
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:47 pm

Yes, re-apply. This is not a trivial error nor a trivial document.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I got an email back saying this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

There is no way to edit this application information . If the visa is granted then you can travel to India

Regards
E-Visa team
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
When you checkin, the airline captures your passport information either by copying the data manually or by reading your passport. If the data doesn't match the application/visa, the system may tell them right then to deny your boarding. Alternatively once you arrive the BoI agent will read your passport using a machine reader and it will return an error because the system won't find your visa as the numbers don't match. Good luck.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
When you checkin, the airline captures your passport information either by copying the data manually or by reading your passport. If the data doesn't match the application/visa, the system may tell them right then to deny your boarding. Alternatively once you arrive the BoI agent will read your passport using a machine reader and it will return an error because the system won't find your visa as the numbers don't match. Good luck.
Thanks. Usually the airline reps will just check the visa to see if you have it. The $75 question is threefold: (1) whether Air Asia staff glancing at my ETA printout will notice the error, (2) whether Air Asia staff will input the ETA e-visa number and if their computers are linked to Indian immigration computers to alert them of a mismatch, and (3) if I land in Chennai and Indian immigration officer notice the discrepancy (which they almost certainly would) will they hold me overnight and send me back to Malaysia or just let me in.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Personally I would not reapply

There is a very low chance the Air Asia system is actually connected to the Indian Government e-visa system, and in practice they will just ask to see the printout.

They are not going to notice that one number is wrong

When you get to Chennai just play dumb but in a polite and pleasant way. "Oh I'm so sorry sir, I didn't notice it was off by one number, could you help me to get it fixed please? Thank you so much for your help, you're so kind etc etc"

Very unlikely they're going to deny you entry for something so minor. It's not entirely risk free but I just don't see it happening, you're not going to be the first person who turned up with a small mistake on the e-visa.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

This 2015 report gives me some hope: http://www.indiamike.com/india/for-c...e-eta-t233170/
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This 2015 report gives me some hope: http://www.indiamike.com/india/for-c...e-eta-t233170/
keep us posted on the outcome....
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
keep us posted on the outcome....
I will. I appreciate you asking your immigration contact.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:13 am

Hi

I think you should reapply for the e-visa. Your passport no is your identity when you are traveling. If it is not correct you might get into trouble.
It always better a hire a tour and travel agency for foreign trips as all this matter(visa & tickets) are taken up by those travel agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.