Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calcutta hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Calcutta hotel question

For a visit to Calcutta later this year, I am debating between the JW Marriott & ITC Sonar. They are both priced very similarly and appear to be located next to one another. As a Marriott/SPG Platinum member, which of the two hotels is likely to be a better bet, in terms of room comfort, meals (particularly breakfast) & service in general? Which has the better Club lounge?
Old May 1, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've never stayed at the marriott here but have stayed multiple times at the itc sonar & would definitely recommend it....its my hotel of choice whenever i am in kolkata....
Old May 2, 2017, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think you should look at where you want to be in CCU, the two are rather in the middle of nowhere if you are visiting for touristic purpose.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I think you should look at where you want to be in CCU, the two are rather in the middle of nowhere if you are visiting for touristic purpose.
Thanks, I am aware of the awkward location of these hotels. However I want (a) a comfortable hotel and (b) one for which I do not have to fork out obscene amounts of cash.

Being a SPG/Marriott Platinum member, I know that I can get a good room with very possibly a good upgrade, complimentary breakfast and lounge access AND pay using my points (without, repeat, an obscene amount of money and even more obscene Indian taxes)

PS. I know I could book the Park Hotel also with SPG points, but while it does have a great location, the rooms are generally bloody awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.