Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re smog, fog and weather in Delhi & Agra in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Questions re smog, fog and weather in Delhi & Agra in Winter

First week of december--I am travelling to Delhi from Ahmedabad arriving around 10 om..I know in winter usually fog affects Delhi operations..

-Is first week of december usually when the fog starts affecting the operations or it's little later in December
-Does it effect domestic flights in the early hours of morning..
-Does it affect international flights arriving into Delhi at night...

Yor insight is appreciated

vcclt
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you can definitely expect fog in early december....it is usually at it's worst during early morning....
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by roosevelt92
yeah mostly all the flight are delay .... whether it s domestic or international...
it's the morning & evening flights that get delayed....the afternoon flights normally run on schedule....
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA GM
Fog in Delhi

I have a 9AM flight out of DEL on January 3. I understand that there may be fog. How would you rate my chances of an on-time departure?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
I have a 9AM flight out of DEL on January 3. I understand that there may be fog. How would you rate my chances of an on-time departure?
its already pretty foggy in the mornings & it will be much worse around your travel date....i would be surprised if you had an on-time departure....its always advisable to take an afternoon flight during fog season....
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA GM
Thanks. My only option on Qatar Airways is the earlier flight, at 04:25. Would that option be any better?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
Thanks. My only option on Qatar Airways is the earlier flight, at 04:25. Would that option be any better?
unlikely....i usually try to avoid flights between 7pm - 10am during fog season....
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So widebody arrivals are OK thanks to Cat IIIb? But domestic A32S departures better taken after 10-11am?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:36 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Landing requires 75m visibility but take off's require about 125m and you would be surprised by how long visibility hovers around 75m. The older runway has better visibility than the newer one. There are 2-3 days when nothin moves in the airport till late morning but otherwise operations continue although with a little bit of delay.

And a later flight during the day may not always be on time as that same aircraft generally does a morning turn and then only the next one.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
So widebody arrivals are OK thanks to Cat IIIb? But domestic A32S departures better taken after 10-11am?
Arrivals seem to be less of an issue for me than departures, domestic or even long-haul international.

Domestic departures, I push for post-11 am for mid-December to mid- or late January.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Soo... if you are booked on a 13:20 flight and happened to checkin after arriving on a 7:40 intl arrival and the AI flight leaving at 7am is badly delayed, will AI take you on the earlier flight if you are booked in a decent booking class (B)?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions re smog, fog and weather in Delhi and Agra in mid-February

My wife and I might be visiting Delhi in mid-February. I realize there are no guarantees, but how bad is the smog likely to be in Delhi then? And the fog - present in the evening and morniing, and burning off in the middle of the day?

Also, what will the weather be like? I get a bit of conflicting information from the weather/climate sites I've checked. Am I correct in assuming that it will be dry (except for the fog) in mid-February, with highs about 20-25 Celsius and lows about 10-15?

We might take a day trip from Delhi to Agra at that time. Might the fog (or smog) be so bad in the early morning on the drive down (we wouldn't drive ourselves, but would instead have a driver) that it would interfere with our even getting there? I took that drive once around 2000 and it was definitely on the difficult side for the driver, though I realize the roads have improved since then and I can't recall the exact time of year it was.

Finally, how bad might the smog or fog be in Agra that time of year?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My wife and I might be visiting Delhi in mid-February. I realize there are no guarantees, but how bad is the smog likely to be in Delhi then? And the fog - present in the evening and morniing, and burning off in the middle of the day?

Also, what will the weather be like? I get a bit of conflicting information from the weather/climate sites I've checked. Am I correct in assuming that it will be dry (except for the fog) in mid-February, with highs about 20-25 Celsius and lows about 10-15?

We might take a day trip from Delhi to Agra at that time. Might the fog (or smog) be so bad in the early morning on the drive down (we wouldn't drive ourselves, but would instead have a driver) that it would interfere with our even getting there? I took that drive once around 2000 and it was definitely on the difficult side for the driver, though I realize the roads have improved since then and I can't recall the exact time of year it was.

Finally, how bad might the smog or fog be in Agra that time of year?

Thanks for any advice.
Fog is not as bad in February as in late December and much of January. And if it's trips during the day, not likely to be a major issue. By 8 am in February, fog is not the kind of issue it is in December and January.

The smog seems to hit me worse there in October and November and in March and April than in late December to mid-February, but I'm not sure why that is or if that smog conditions are generally worse then or if it's more a matter of localized geography's interplay with sources of pollution.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mid feb will be fine both in delhi & agra....

weather wise, expect it to be around 28-30 during the day & around 18-20 in the evenings & early mornings....
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much, folks. I appreciate the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.