Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

India best restaurant recommendations for 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Hello friends!

We will be visiting India in Jan-Feb 2017 and would love to hear recommendations for the best fine dining and/or just amazing lunch restaurants in the cities we will visit:

Delhi: booked for dinners at Bukhara and Indian Accent

Jodhpur: considering Darikhana (Raas hotel) and Risala (Umaid Bhawan Palace hotel) for dinners...but other dinner or lunch suggestions?

Udaipur: is dinner at Bhairo at the Taj Lake Palace as good as advertised? other possibilities for dinner and lunch?

Amritsar: any good dining for dinner? best casual lunch?

Gurgaon: staying at the Trident, understand its restaurants may be best bet. Thoughts? This will be my birthday dinner...so hopeful but not expecting much!

Varanasi: best restaurants for dinner and lunch?

Agra: best restaurants for dinner and lunch?

Jaipur: best restaurant for lunch?

Thanks so much for any help any can offer. We are total foodies, and love a good wine pairing when available.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA, Aeroflot Bonus, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honours
I would miss it , fine dining is not an Indian thing right now. Fine dining will appear in India after 20-40 years when people become more demanding. Just go for street food and enjoy the experience. Fine dining also has to involve a city atmosphere and experience to create an emotion, Indias streets just dont do that.

Go to Paris or Tokyo for fine Dining not India.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by OVERSIER
I would miss it , fine dining is not an Indian thing right now. Fine dining will appear in India after 20-40 years when people become more demanding. Just go for street food and enjoy the experience.
We ARE going to India...so we'd like to get suggestions on where might be the best places to dine while we're there. We prefer to dine and not eat street food for the most part...though I'm sure we'll be sampling plenty of street food over our 3+ weeks there.

Originally Posted by OVERSIER
Fine dining also has to involve a city atmosphere and experience to create an emotion, Indias streets just dont do that.

Go to Paris or Tokyo for fine Dining not India.
I'm not sure what that means...but I am pretty sure I don't agree. What creates an "emotion" for you doesn't necessarily apply to me...or anyone else. I also vehemently disagree that fine dining requires a city atmosphere. Just ask Osteria Francescana or El Cellar de Can Roca or Meadowood or Manresa or French Laundry or the Test Kitchen. It takes affluent customers to sustain fine dining, not a city or city atmosphere.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:25 pm

Mentioning some options not already covered in your original post

Delhi: Dum Pukth at ITC Maurya, Le Cirque and Megu at The Leela
Amritsar: Beera Chicken (casual)
Gurgaon: Wildfire at Crowne Plaza (Brazilian churrascaria), Soda Bottle Opener Wala at Cyber Hub (Parsi food, casual option)
Agra: Peshawri at the ITC Mughal
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: BA, Aeroflot Bonus, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honours
Every one has their own opinion as usual. I am going to India as well in July and this is my 3rd time so just sharing experience.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Delhi: booked for dinners at Bukhara and Indian Accent
i would like to add rodeo in connaught place (my personal favourite) & megu at the leela palace....both are not indian restaurants (although rodeo does offer a nice little indian menu as well) but they are among the better restaurants in the city....

another nice little restaurant with excellent food is cafe illuminatii in khan market....amazing kashmiri food....
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Indian Miles
Mentioning some options not already covered in your original post

Delhi: Dum Pukth at ITC Maurya, Le Cirque and Megu at The Leela
Amritsar: Beera Chicken (casual)
Gurgaon: Wildfire at Crowne Plaza (Brazilian churrascaria), Soda Bottle Opener Wala at Cyber Hub (Parsi food, casual option)
Agra: Peshawri at the ITC Mughal
Thanks for the non-Delhi recommendations, in particular!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:12 am

Hello, Here are some sort choice of restaurants according to your query adn my personal experience surely it will help you .......
Delhi:
Jodhpur: Kesar Heritage Restaurant or Skyzz for dinner
Udaipur: The UPRE Restaurant and Natraj Dining Hall & Restaurant for dinner and lunch
Amritsar:Bharawan Da Dhaba and Crystal restaurant for dinner and lunch
Gurgaon: The Oberoi and Cilantro for dinner and lunch
Varanasi:Radisson Hotel Varanasi and The Keshari Restaurant for dinner and lunch
Agra: Taj Mahal Restaurant and Maya Hotel & Restaurant for dinner and lunch
Jaipur:Trident Hotel and hotel park ocean for dinner and lunch
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
It was a few years ago, but the Oberoi in Udaipur was superb for lunch.

I'm going to try the Oberoi in Gurgaon (will be staying in Aerocity for a night).

Any experience with Oberoi for dining in Agra? (I will also be eating/staying at the Peshwari at the ITC Mugal) which I thought was even better than Bukhara in Delhi (similar menu; again several years ago).

Any Goa suggestions? I'll be at both the Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt.

Any recommendations for Kharjuraho (I'll be at the Raddisson). I'm not expecting much, will eat at the hotel unless someone has a strong recommendation.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any experience with Oberoi for dining in Agra? (I will also be eating/staying at the Peshwari at the ITC Mugal) which I thought was even better than Bukhara in Delhi (similar menu; again several years ago).
just checked out of the itc mughal after a 2 night stay....had lunch at the oberoi & dinner at peshawari yesterday....both were amazing....
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Bump for the thread. Every time some one mentions Bukhara there are inevitable "there are better and cheaper places" to eat suggestions. So on those lines, what are the better (non Bukhara's of the world) places to eat in Delhi and Shimla? Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ikonos
Bump for the thread. Every time some one mentions Bukhara there are inevitable "there are better and cheaper places" to eat suggestions. So on those lines, what are the better (non Bukhara's of the world) places to eat in Delhi and Shimla? Thanks.
megu at the leela palace is one of my favourites in delhi....another nice little restaurant with great kashmiri food is cafe illuminatii in khan market....

indian accent is also nice....some dishes are amazing while some are just ok....you will need to make a reservation in advance though....
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:56 am

Black Salt Restaurant & Cafe, a famous place to eat out in Jaipur. Feel the royalty of Rajasthani tradition with beautiful wall designs. A must visit place where you can enjoy the best Rajasthani food in Jaipur. Reserve your table today at black salt to feel royal dining experience at very reasonable cost.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
The above post feels more like own advertising rather than a helpful opinion... I wouldn't be surprised if the poster turns out to be the owner/related to them.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deovrat
The above post feels more like own advertising rather than a helpful opinion... I wouldn't be surprised if the poster turns out to be the owner/related to them.
my thoughts exactly....these one time posters are all over ft advertising their products & establishments....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.