Reload this Page >

advice for trip to india for US traveler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice for trip to india for US traveler

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:36 am

Just about anywhere in India, buying a prepaid sim can be a hassle for a foreigner; I expect in J & K it's far worse. Would it be worth it for just ten days?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shounak
At least in the Taj hotels that I've stayed at, they do use filtered water to make the ice. 4*s? I'm not so sure...you may always ask at the hotel.

You'll have to decide for yourself what you're comfortable with. In traveling to India over the past 30 years, I tend to sample lots of street cuisines and love chai. I've only fallen ill once...but that was typhoid.

Most hotels make a very good chai tea though! But if you really must sample from the street vendors, my only advice would be to bring your own cup/glass. They wash the used glasses with untreated water, so that is definitely not safe.
Thank you - great tip on the own cup, I wouldn't have thought of that - I will pack a couple of lightweight travel mugs in my bag. I will be having my typhoid shot tho!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 889
Just about anywhere in India, buying a prepaid sim can be a hassle for a foreigner; I expect in J & K it's far worse. Would it be worth it for just ten days?
Foreigners not resident in India going to J&K now to get a prepaid SIM? Not a very good idea.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Usually, I only eat cut fruits that are available in the hotel breakfast buffet and have yet to be sick (knock on wood).

If I buy fruits, I buy them uncut and with a peel and then wash them with bottled water. I picked up fresh grapes on the road during my last trip and washed them with bottle water and had no issues.

Cooked meats and veggies are not a problem at all. I don't eat beef or pork while in India so I don't really have a problem. Chicken is available everywhere and is pretty clean. I try to avoid street foods as much as possible. There are so many good restaurants with decent prices that I don't need to try street food.

Most restaurants usually serve AQUAGUARD water as the table water, but one can always pay for bottled water.

Medicine is pretty easy to get, so there is no reason to load up your bag before getting to India. While in Delhi, hit up a well known pharmacy like Apollo and you should get everything you require.

I will be heading up to Leh/Ladakh end of August for sightseeing with some friends and will see how things work up in that part.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Question for those that have been to India. Did you get sick?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Question for those that have been to India. Did you get sick?
I just returned from a 10 day trip to India. Delhi, Chandigarh, Amritsar, and Varanasi. Stayed at 5 star hotels throughout. Third trip to India and have never gotten sick, except on my last day of this recent trip - and am pretty sure it was from the airport lounge in Mumbai, of all places! It was a very uncomfortable flight home, but managed to purchase some immodium, maalox, and panadol at the airport in Abu Dhabi, which helped tremendously and it cleared up within 24 hours thank god. The last time I got sick was after eating at the lounge in Dubai, of all places.

In India, I did try one local restaurant in Amritsar, called Beera Chicken, which was fabulous, and also tried a famous Dhaba in Amritstar. Was not concerned at all from eating there. I also tried one street food item - fried deserts on the street in Amritsar with a local friend. Wasnt concerned about that either. I believe it was the lettuce that I ate at the airport. I knew I shouldn't have eaten it but felt I could use some ruffage after 10 days in India, and paid the price! The learning experience for me was to NOT let one's guard down at the end of the trip after having a good run of luck. The other learning experience is that lounges may not be safe, as food sits and the appearance of safety might be misleading. And right before departure, extra vigilance is called for, not less, as it can be a harrowing ride home while convulsing from food poisoning!

In any event, the fears generally of getting sick in India are far overrated IMHO. These days with good hotels and relatively minor precautions (water, probiotics, etc.) one can have a relatively carefree trip there and enjoy the most amazing food. I love India.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
One thing I've learned is if you buy bottle water from a reputable source like a grocery its probably real, if its some roadside shack only buy soft drinks. Much harder to fake/refill softdrinks. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people refilling a whole cart load of empty water bottles from an open drain. This isn't just India advice, applies to many countries.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Originally Posted by whimsey21
On the "avoid water" front I'll also just remind you to ask for any cold drinks/water without ice. Seems obvious, but I've seen many people focus on making sure the drink itself is safe (from what I've read, carbonation is a plus), and forget about the fact that the ice added to it may not be made from bottled/boiled water...
This! A million times this!

People take so many precautions about bottled water and raw foods and then boom - Pepsi with ice and you're gone.

If you see how the ice gets transported you will appreciate that tip.

Ro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.