OCI card and valid passport sufficient to enter India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat

Not sure if this has been posted before but now it looks like one does not need the OCI visa in a current or expired passport any longer to enter India. A valid passport and the OCI card (passport like document) are sufficient to enter India as per this article.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i remember reading something similar earlier this month but can't seem to find the thread now....
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TIMATIC says valid OCI booklet and valid passport is sufficient: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ss-re-pio.html
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:07 pm

did they get rid of requirement of having to get new OCI card all the way from Delhi once you cross age 50 and get new passport? (Indian embassy website still carry old language)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by desi
did they get rid of requirement of having to get new OCI card all the way from Delhi once you cross age 50 and get new passport? (Indian embassy website still carry old language)
Apparently not according to this which states that the OCI needs to be transferred to the new passport

Last edited by ROW2Aisle; Apr 4, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Apparently not according to this which states that the OCI needs to be transferred to the new passport
THat article is completely inaccurate. The Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) scheme has since been discontinued and has been replaced by the "OCI Cardholder Scheme" which is a subtle but key difference.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B
THat article is completely inaccurate. The Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) scheme has since been discontinued and has been replaced by the "OCI Cardholder Scheme" which is a subtle but key difference.
Are you saying that the Parliament of India passed laws to do either one of the following: eliminate the Overseas Citizenship of India; and/or rename the Overseas Citizenship of India?

I've not cared to have the Indian legislative record checked, but the Indian Parliament isn't known to be all that productive as of late.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The parliament did their thing, but the MHA & MEA have issued directives to basically issue OCI cards from now on and accept previously issued PIO cards and OCI booklet as OCI cards.

Which restores my faith that some IAS in the MHA still has half a brain that is somewhat pragmatic.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The parliament did their thing, but the MHA & MEA have issued directives to basically issue OCI cards from now on and accept previously issued PIO cards and OCI booklet as OCI cards.

Which restores my faith that some IAS in the MHA still has half a brain that is somewhat pragmatic.
Whether it's the babus or the netas, I can't see much desire for either in office (currently or earlier) to alienate significant numbers of former NRIs and their progeny.

The PIO buyers already paid for more than just their share of this. It's sort of amusing how people who previously couldn't qualify for OCI but could qualify for PIO now qualify for OCI cards if they wish.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:32 am

I got my PIO card for 1000$ (1200€ at the time) a few months after the PIO laws/directives came out in 2002. I could kick myself for being too lazy to go to the consulate and get the 'lifelong' validity endorsement back in 2014. Now my 'card' says its valid till 2022. I suppose a lot will happen by then... maybe it will be called a POCIO pardesi aadhar chip then.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
It is one thing to "transfer" to new passport. Another thing to apply for OCI all over again.

Getting new OCI is months long wait with very beuracratic process (once they sent the whole package back using about 4 dollars of their own postage because "we got only one photocopy of some dicument, we wanted two")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.