Reload this Page >

Overstaying Indian Visa

Overstaying Indian Visa

Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Overstaying Indian Visa

Hi,

I have a 30 day e-visa in India, expiring Nov. 28.

Want to leave India Dec. 14.

What are the consequences of overstaying an Indian tourist e-visa?? Fine? Nothing? Formal/informal?

Is my only option doing a visa run to Sri Lanka via BLR???
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,
Overstaying Indian Visa

myself had bad experience, only for 1 day overstaying I should go to local police and after b..... 500 INR, and a lot of papers etc and an interview they give me a one day permit.

that was about 7 years ago, today I don't know the situation, I presume nothing changed

imagine I was there only for few days but since my flight back was intended to be one day after the visa expired, I should do that all process.

when I went trough border control they don't even ask for that permit.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon1
myself had bad experience, only for 1 day overstaying I should go to local police and after b..... 500 INR, and a lot of papers etc and an interview they give me a one day permit.

that was about 7 years ago, today I don't know the situation, I presume nothing changed

imagine I was there only for few days but since my flight back was intended to be one day after the visa expired, I should do that all process.

when I went trough border control they don't even ask for that permit.
So if border control didn't even ask for the permit...how did the 'overstay' even come up as an issue in the first place?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In a country as administratively over-obsessed like India I would not consider this. The path of least resistance is your friend.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by pricesquire
So if border control didn't even ask for the permit...how did the 'overstay' even come up as an issue in the first place?
They were probably asking for permission rather than forgiveness. I.e. knew they were going to over stay and wanted to prevent any issues when they left. It turned out to be for naught.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:42 am

You could try to get an extension while there but it is unlikely to be granted as it is not extendable (though in India you never know). Best to use an agent.

You may be able to leave the country (e.g. fly to KTM) and request a new e-visa (2 are allowed in one year). But there also is a rule that requires a break between trips so not sure if this will work either.

Do not overstay. If it was a one day overstay immigration at the airport might give you some leeway - but 15+ days will cause significant issues (hefty fines most likely).
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:47 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the India Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
You could try to get an extension while there but it is unlikely to be granted as it is not extendable (though in India you never know). Best to use an agent.

You may be able to leave the country (e.g. fly to KTM) and request a new e-visa (2 are allowed in one year). But there also is a rule that requires a break between trips so not sure if this will work either.

Do not overstay. If it was a one day overstay immigration at the airport might give you some leeway - but 15+ days will cause significant issues (hefty fines most likely).
Good thinking. I guess flying to CMB is my best bet...
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Go to the next FRRO and check if they are willing to endorse your visa for two weeks. I've been to the FRRO a few times on other matters and the waiting room was always full of tourists requesting and extension or an exit permit.

http://boi.gov.in/content/general-in...ion-foreigners

It is not impossible. Do not use an agent, many FRROs had a few corruption scandals and an agent may not help you.

If they are too picky/blocking, fly to CMB/KTM/DAC etc.

Do not overstay!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Go to the next FRRO and check if they are willing to endorse your visa for two weeks. I've been to the FRRO a few times on other matters and the waiting room was always full of tourists requesting and extension or an exit permit.

http://boi.gov.in/content/general-in...ion-foreigners

It is not impossible. Do not use an agent, many FRROs had a few corruption scandals and an agent may not help you.

If they are too picky/blocking, fly to CMB/KTM/DAC etc.

Do not overstay!
good advice....the frro is the best bet....this is not uncommon so there is a good chance that it will work....
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:14 am

The eVisa is not extendable under any circumstance. Do not count on that being the resolution to your situation. You may be granted a new permit if you have "humanitarian" grounds to request the extension such as illness, etc.., but that is the only recourse to extend an eVisa.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Good thinking. I guess flying to CMB is my best bet...
Hi princess,
i am in the same suituation did overstayed my etourist visa. What will be the solution for this? i am really scared.I appreciate ur reply what have u doneby being overstayed in etourist visa
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You have to go to the responsible FRRO and ask for a exit permit, describing why and how.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:38 am

So everyone here can learn from your experience, please let us know how the FRRO handles overstays on e-visas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.