Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

air options EC USA to BOM or DEL

Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines

I am to meet up with a friend in Jaipur on 11/12 and considering options for getting there from EC USA, most likely EWR. What advice for "optimization" traveling in economy?

- Would strongly prefer United to MUM or DEL, but would consider other carriers if substantially cheaper (>$300 USD) or more convenient or more comfortable, so long as still a *A carrier.

- any lounges along the way to make it a bit more pleasant for a *Gold? (I don't suppose there are lounges in MUM or DEL that stay open the night, are there?)

- What might one do if faced with long connection time in MUM or DEL? Ought I consider starting a day or two earlier so won't have to endure many hours in airport overnight? Are there satisfactory (clean!) but not too expensive accommodations close to MUM or DEH airports?

My companion is very experienced in India, so not concerned about time on the ground there. So just looking on advice on getting to/from my destination.

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
I am to meet up with a friend in Jaipur on 11/12 and considering options for getting there from EC USA, most likely EWR. What advice for "optimization" traveling in economy?

- Would strongly prefer United to MUM or DEL, but would consider other carriers if substantially cheaper (>$300 USD) or more convenient or more comfortable, so long as still a *A carrier.

- any lounges along the way to make it a bit more pleasant for a *Gold? (I don't suppose there are lounges in MUM or DEL that stay open the night, are there?)

- What might one do if faced with long connection time in MUM or DEL? Ought I consider starting a day or two earlier so won't have to endure many hours in airport overnight? Are there satisfactory (clean!) but not too expensive accommodations close to MUM or DEH airports?

My companion is very experienced in India, so not concerned about time on the ground there. So just looking on advice on getting to/from my destination.

Thanks.
Wow. These are broad questions. If you removed the *A requirement, several Middle Eastern airlines offer very competitive fares USA - India.

If lounge access is important, then bite the bullet and pay the slightly higher fare. Air India is a *A member (?not sure) and often offers decent fares (the experience may be a hit or a miss).

Both BOM and DEL have several decent hotels very close to the airport (Holiday Inn, Hilton....). Not sure what you consider "too expensive" but international brands tend to be similar in price to their counterparts in Europe or NA. You can find comparable and slightly less expensive domestic (non-branded) hotels near the airports - do your research on TripAdvisor or some such site. I've stayed in one or two such hotels for a few hours after a late night international arrival before an early morning domestic connection in BOM and paid anywhere between $50 - $250 for the night.

Good luck.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
if star alliance is the consideration then ai could be an option....they have direct flights from jfk & ewr flying into del & bom....del has an ai lounge that is open throughout the day & night in the international terminal but on the domestic side the lounge closes at night....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.