Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Mumbai?

Where to stay in Mumbai?

Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Where to stay in Mumbai?

Anyone been to Mumbai? What's some good areas to stay in? I've got hotel points for hotels in either Navi Mumbai, Andheri, or Near Mumbai Central Station? Or should I just book a hotel somewhere else? What are your thoughts on those areas?

I'm just gonna be doing the tourist thing in Mumbai, seeing the sights, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
which hotel chains do you have points with????

there is no place in mumbai that will be convenient for all touristy things....mumbai is pretty spread out so no matter where you stay, you will end up spending a lot of time on the roads traveling from one place to the other....

avoid navi mumbai....its too far from where you want to be....
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:53 pm

Navi - cheaper, but very far. Agree with Keyser, avoid.

Andheri - Closer to airport, but far from most things a tourist would likely want to do. More residential, but nearby Juhu and Lokhandwala. Both are nice, but they would be on my "if time" list.

Central Station - Further from airport, but closer to tourist sites than Andheri. Note Central Station is not the same as Victoria Terminus or Churchgate, both of which are further south.

South - Recommended. Lots of great hotels, close to tourist sites (Colaba, Fort, Malabar Hill, Marine Drive, etc.), and filled with more of the traditional Mumbai. However, it is further from the airport and on the more expensive side.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I had a two-night layover in Mumbai in December and stayed at the Taj Mahal Palace. I booked a more affordable Tower room which overlooked the Gateway of India though it lacked the character of the palace rooms.

The location is hard to beat. Apart from one auto rickshaw ride to Victoria Terminus I walked everywhere.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Apart from one auto rickshaw ride to Victoria Terminus I walked everywhere.
I highly doubt you took an auto rickshaw from the Taj (or anywhere else) to Victoria Terminus.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I highly doubt you took an auto rickshaw from the Taj (or anywhere else) to Victoria Terminus.
Travelling back in time.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:18 pm

Travelling back in time.
That too, but I highly doubt you took an auto rickshaw from anywhere to CST either.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:46 am

That too, but I highly doubt you took an auto rickshaw from anywhere to CST either.
Strictly speaking the rickshaw driver dropped me off opposite the station close to this building. The first photo I took was this before crossing the road to explore the station. So technically I did not take an auto rickshaw to CST?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:03 am

Strictly speaking the rickshaw driver dropped me off opposite the station close to this building. The first photo I took was this before crossing the road to explore the station. So technically I did not take an auto rickshaw to CST?
Sorry, maybe my point is being lost. Auto rickshaws are not permitted to operate in South Mumbai (south of Mahim Causeway). Therefore, you could not have taken an auto rickshaw to CST (or any points nearby).
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:30 am

Sorry, maybe my point is being lost. Auto rickshaws are not permitted to operate in South Mumbai (south of Mahim Causeway). Therefore, you could not have taken an auto rickshaw to CST (or any points nearby).
Hmmm, I was pretty certain there was an area across the street from the Taj where several auto rickshaws were parked waiting for their fare but it's entirely possible I'm misremembering and they were actually those ubiquitous black and yellow taxis. It was the morning after I arrived at the Taj at 4am having been driven there from the airport by a driver who knew exactly how to navigate through every traffic calming setup on the route without slowing down.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
The Taj Palace is fantastic. Book a Tower room and then request a Palace room at check-in. If one is available they will usually upgrade at no charge.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum, UA-Silver
Long time listener, first time caller.

We're debating between staying at the Taj Lands End or Four Seasons. Which one would you choose and why?

We want to split our time between touristy things down south, shopping/eating in Bandra, and whatever else comes our way. We're several dudes in our late 20s.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:58 am
Suspended

That depends on where you think you're going to spend more time. Land's End is at Bandra and Four Seasons is in town (a term loosely used to describe the other side where you want to do the touristic things). Having said that, depending on the time of day, the two hotels are about 20 mins apart via the Sea Link so you really shouldn't worry.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:34 am

I think keser is right. You should go with his opinion.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:11 am

Hi............ You can stay at Mumbai central or central area of Mumbai like Dadar. Dadar is between central and western side of Mumbai. It is connected with central, harbour and western railway line. You can go anywhere to visit places from Dadar by road, taxi, or bus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.