Search

Chennai transit advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, virgin atlantic
Chennai transit advice

Hi

I am arriving at chennai at 17:30 from South east Asia on airasia leaving next day at 5:30am to london on BA.

Will I have to obtain a visa if staying at a nearby hotel or can I transfer within the terminal and recheck bags?

Any assistance appreciated
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the FT India Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Chennai transit advice

As far as I know, yes, will need a visa. Would check with your embassy, but I don't know of a 24 hr transit rule in India like there is in some countries. Also, even to collect and recheck bags will probably need one since that is on other side of immigration.

Hopefully someone will correct me if they know other information.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by iain2012
Hi

I am arriving at chennai at 17:30 from South east Asia on airasia leaving next day at 5:30am to london on BA.

Will I have to obtain a visa if staying at a nearby hotel or can I transfer within the terminal and recheck bags?

Any assistance appreciated
i assume this is on 2 different tickets....if so then without a visa you will definitely have problems getting your bags checked onto your ba flight....

if you want to stay at a hotel then you will need to get a visa....
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is a transit visa available (if you're not eligible for VOA) but the rules for it are slightly odd, and, from experience, it confuses both consular staff and immigration officers. It does save you money vs a tourist visa, but check you have the paperwork to hand on arrival, check the time windows for application (which are fairly short) and be prepared to be patient as they ask a supervisor for help...

There is a near zero chance that Air Asia will check luggage through to BA. And you may well face problems reentering the terminal in the early evening for a morning flight.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
UK citizens don't qualify for the the new ETA scheme, so you have to go thru the hoops of applying for a transit visa. NewbieRunner just got one without any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.