Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Double entry ?

Application, payment and approval - smooth as silk. Ok, there six approval mails, leading to a moment of panic about six payments. But all is fine.

But I was surprised to be given a double entry: good news, as it would cover my next trip and save significant faff. Sadly, it appears the second entry must be within 60 days of the date of the first arrival (which is the date the visa is issued), rather than within the lifetime of the authorisation to travel to India.

A bit of a disappointment, but I'm guessing the double entry arrangement is intended to help those travelling on from India and returning through India.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So I got my e-visa, 2 entries as well, now considering going to the Maldives too in between, so I guess that will use the second entry, but obviously the port of (first) exit (COK or TRV) and re-entry (COK) would be different now from what listed on the e-visa application (BOM both in and out), but it shouldn't matter, right, I should be good to go, correct?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It seems indeed that the double entry is intended for visiting neighboring countries, started in April.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...UHZgD9BkO.html
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very possibly a dumb question, but ...

Does a visa act as a clearance simply to enter a country, or need it remain valid during the proposed period of stay?

My current visa expires on 10 August. I plan to arrive on 3 August and leave on the 10th; but would I be able to stay for a longer period?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I was in the process of applying for the e-visa (for a trip in October), and after filling out the visa application, I encountered the following error when I went to pay for the application:

"Please fill a new e-Visa application as the application format is changed."

Has anyone encountered this before?
Maybe they actually were fiddling with the site around the time of my application (though it was ca. 5 AM in Delhi).
Maybe just some strange unfortunate error.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one for the gurus...

I entered India on a two-visit E-visa. So now I have the visa stamped in my passport, clearly saying i have used one of my two visits.

I'm in Mumbai again for the week before the visa expires. I'm wondering if I might use the regular immigration queues at the airport (because I have a visa), or if i should still use the Evisa lines.

The reason for reluctance to join the Evisa queue is the extraordinarily long wait I had last time. I noticed the regular lines moving quite snappily in contrast
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:55 pm

Wasn't able to find this and my ADD mind wandered off. Given that the new e-Visa has a 60 requirement for two visits, are there any limitations in terms of how many times you can get an e-visa? I'm traveling in 10 days. My second trip may not be until November, well past 60 days. Can I simply apply for another e-Visa or do I need to go the consulate route?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markdmumy
Wasn't able to find this and my ADD mind wandered off. Given that the new e-Visa has a 60 requirement for two visits, are there any limitations in terms of how many times you can get an e-visa? I'm traveling in 10 days. My second trip may not be until November, well past 60 days. Can I simply apply for another e-Visa or do I need to go the consulate route?

Thanks!
I believe it's still two evisas each calendar year.

The notion of two visits per 60-day visa was primarily intended to facilitate trips through India to third countries.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We are planning to visit India in October. We have visas for India in our passports that do not expire until 2021.

Realizing that things may have changed since our previous visit to India, do we need to apply for the new ETA, or our current visas sufficient?

Thanks in advance. It's no doubt a stupid question since we have 10-year visas issued but there's a lot of confusion and I'd appreciate confirmation, given some of the horror stories.

Last edited by Fredd; Aug 13, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Fredd
We are planning to visit India in October. We have visas for India in our passports that do not expire until 2021.

Realizing that things may have changed since our previous visit to India, do we need to apply for the new ETA, or our current visas sufficient?

Thanks in advance. It's no doubt a stupid question since we have 10-year visas issued but there's a lot of confusion and I'd appreciate confirmation, given some of the horror stories.
no need to get another visa....what horror stories are you referring to????
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
no need to get another visa....what horror stories are you referring to????
Thanks for answering my stupid question with a straight face. I wanted to make sure that previously issued visas were still good after the implementation of this new ETA system, I couldn't find a definitive answer after some quick research online, and I was confident I'd get one here.

We had spent an hour or more yesterday trying to recall and enter all of the details demanded e,g, every one of the 50+ countries we've visited in the past 10 years (the form wouldn't accept them) and were also experiencing severe technical problems trying to upload photos before stumbling on 10-year India visas in our old passports that we'd gotten for a 2011 trip.

My featured horror story from the thread is this one of somebody being turned away for a typo, coupled with the problems others have experienced trying to complete the online ETA application.

Nice to confirm we're good to go. ^
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I entered India on a two-visit E-visa. So now I have the visa stamped in my passport, clearly saying i have used one of my two visits.

I'm in Mumbai again for the week before the visa expires. I'm wondering if I might use the regular immigration queues at the airport (because I have a visa), or if i should still use the Evisa lines.

The reason for reluctance to join the Evisa queue is the extraordinarily long wait I had last time. I noticed the regular lines moving quite snappily in contrast
May be too late for the OP but for others who may have the same question: when I visited Delhi last year, I had my e-Visa in hand, but (groggy and tired) stood in the wrong line at the New Delhi immigration area. The first sign I saw said something like "business and First Class passengers" and had a short line so I stood there (I travelled in biz). When I got to the front of the line and gave my e-visa to the immigration officer he looked annoyed and waved me to go to the "e-Visa" line, which was at the other end of the hall. I asked him if he could just go ahead and process me since I was standing in front of him but he refused.

So I think you have to go to the e-Visa queue if you arrive with an e-Visa!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I had almost forgotten about the visa...

Applied for the e-visa yesterday, received the 6 emails today letting me know that I'm approved. ^
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I will have 24 hours in DEL in December so a transit visa looked like the best option. However, it looks as if a transit visa is not available from the E-Visa site, only from consulate/embassy by giving your passport. And a transit visa needs to be issued less than 15 days before arrival. I will be traveling elsewhere for those 15 days so will not be able to do that. So I assume a tourist e-visa is my best option, even though I am staying only 24 hours?

Do I have this right?

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Sep 14, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Evisa is always easier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.