Search

DEL airport Airtel booth / SIM card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, SPG Platinum
DEL airport Airtel booth / SIM card

I searched regarding data SIM in India but seems the information available are a bit out dated.

I will be arriving DEL terminal 3 (international) around 4am on a Tuesday. I'm wondering if the Airtel booth in the arrival lobby is open 24 hours? If not open, is there another place I could get a SIM card in the city that knows about the foreigner activation process? In particular I need 3G data access.

I am not an Indian citizen and am on a tourist VISA. I wonder if someone has experience getting a SIM card recently.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
not sure if the airport booth is open 24 hours but i'm tempted to say it is....in the event you can't get a sim at the airport then there are countless resellers across the city from where you can get a sim....

which area in the city will you be staying in????i could recommend a place close to your hotel where you can pick one up....
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Chang Hung
I searched regarding data SIM in India but seems the information available are a bit out dated.

I will be arriving DEL terminal 3 (international) around 4am on a Tuesday. I'm wondering if the Airtel booth in the arrival lobby is open 24 hours? If not open, is there another place I could get a SIM card in the city that knows about the foreigner activation process? In particular I need 3G data access.

I am not an Indian citizen and am on a tourist VISA. I wonder if someone has experience getting a SIM card recently.
Bring some passport sized photos with you....in fact bring a few of them as you might find that you want more than one SIM card (you need to submit a photo when you get a SIM)....if you're going to stay in a big city Airtel should be fine but if you'll be traveling around it's best to have maybe a Reliance SIM or another company SIM as a backup......
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, SPG Platinum
Just came back from the trip and here are the latest information incase anyone finds useful.

There are 3 booths in the arrival hall of DEL terminal 3: AirTel, AirCel, Vodafone
For a SIM card with 1gb data and more than enough talking time, AirCel has the best price at 450rupee. Vodafone 620rupee, and Airtel 1250rupee (I have a strong feeling that the rep was overcharging me though). However Airtel is able to activate within 30minutes if purchased during 9am - 9pm operating hours, while the other two will need to wait until the next morning (same day in the evening in some cases). Also, many say that Airtel has the best signal in rural areas.

All you need to bring is your passport for all 3 companies to Buy the sim card. However once activated you will receive a phone call to verify the information you provided, before 3G data can be used.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
It does seem like you were either overcharged, or given a higher data plan tier without it being made clear. You should get 1GB for a lot less than Rs.1250, a price that'll get you something like the 10GB SIM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.