Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi Password at Indian Airports without mobile no

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

WiFi Password at Indian Airports without mobile no

How do we connect to the airport wifi network without a local mobile number? I have tried my international number(s) several times and its not working.

What is the point of providing free wifi when international travellers cannot obviously avail the services?

Any solution/workround guys?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chattersking
How do we connect to the airport wifi network without a local mobile number? I have tried my international number(s) several times and its not working.

What is the point of providing free wifi when international travellers cannot obviously avail the services?

Any solution/workround guys?
Some of the lounges give preset ID and passwords, but you will need to access the lounge for that and ask them beforehand.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:05 am

Even i had experience the same problems at Mumbai Airport.
even the people at lounge gave me lame excuses for providing password.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FWIW, I've never had a problem accessing these networks with a UK mobile number. I understand that there's some Indian law that dictates that the identity of public wireless network users has to be verified (although I don't know how the lounges get round this).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Lounges make it a point to get your FF card number and boarding pass, don't they? I guess that should be more than enough ID.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by stut
FWIW, I've never had a problem accessing these networks with a UK mobile number. I understand that there's some Indian law that dictates that the identity of public wireless network users has to be verified (although I don't know how the lounges get round this).
Lounges have much more information than just the mobile phone numbers. They will write your names to the id and password they give you. Thats enough to identify.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well... the LH lounge in DEL just give you a pwd from a stack of access codes. Back in June it was ultra frustrating not to get a SMS with the access code in BOM T1
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well... the LH lounge in DEL just give you a pwd from a stack of access codes. Back in June it was ultra frustrating not to get a SMS with the access code in BOM T1
Yeah thats exactly what happened with me. Tried my number and bunch of my friends numbers and they didn't receive anything either.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
When I was in Mumbai, the staff of the lounge volunteered to have the code sent to their own phone, which they would then pass on to me.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
If it is free, why have a password?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
When I was in Mumbai, the staff of the lounge volunteered to have the code sent to their own phone, which they would then pass on to me.
i've heard this a number of times from friends with international phones....it can't hurt to ask the staff....
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i've heard this a number of times from friends with international phones....it can't hurt to ask the staff....
But this is for the lounges right? What if you are travelling coach and only there for few hours?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Chattersking
But this is for the lounges right? What if you are travelling coach and only there for few hours?
there are a couple of information counters at the airport....you can always ask a member of the staff at those counters....
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I just used my Boingo accounts at all the international lounges in Delhi in the past few days by using some of the networks available there.

It is sort of amusing how India has tried to frustrate private use of public wifi networks in India, all in the name of "security" -- just as with the ban on satellite phones in India. Some things never change with India's dog and pony "security" show characters.

I've had other issues with using foreign phones in India. Some radio taxi companies refuse to process my cab calls unless I provide an Indian cell phone number. My Indian home phones, my Indian office phones, my Indian hotel phones and my US or European cellphones not accepted always. But some random person kind enough to use their Indian cellphone on my behalf is apparently good enough to get around that for immediate use -- not so good for delayed use.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 1, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:27 am

Well... the LH lounge in DEL just give you a pwd from a stack of access codes.
...which usually don't work. After multiple frustrating trials to recieve the SMS, I gave up. In the meantime I leave the log-on to the lounge staff. They will use there own mobile to get it done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.