WiFi Password at Indian Airports without mobile no

WiFi Password at Indian Airports without mobile no

Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by UA Fan
If it is free, why have a password?
There is no greater bureaucracy in the world. The do it because that is the way it is done.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I did question this with a friend of mine who used to set up these networks . I did vent my frustration at him once and I was given the following explanation.

Indian Pre Paid ( pay as you go) SIM cards can only bought after giving ID proof etc.This is not the case with SIM cards in other countries ( I.e I can go and buy a pay as you go SIM from my local shop in the UK without any ID proof).

This was the reason why the wifi access (though free) was limited via the requirement of an Indian mobile number.

It is a different matter at the lounges though. Most lounges have the same WiFi access password for everyone which defeats the whole purpose of requiring a mobile number.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I just used my Boingo accounts at all the international lounges in Delhi in the past few days by using some of the networks available there.
Originally Posted by SQ325
...which usually don't work. After multiple frustrating trials to recieve the SMS, I gave up. In the meantime I leave the log-on to the lounge staff. They will use there own mobile to get it done.
Just did transfers in DEL and BOM a few days ago:

BOM T1 is just impossible to get in. SMS never comes, boingo is not available.

DEL I used the DoCoMo card handed out by AI in the lounge, worked fine. For another device I tried the 45 min 'free' wifi, no joy never got the sms. I'm assuming my mobile number was already 'used' for the first verification. I then tried with my boingo account, no dice, same problem, no sms.

In CCU TFS lounge had a router in the corner and just gave me the passphrase (K0lkata1) and everyone was happy.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:26 am

New to me:

In the Plaza Premium Lounge in BLR they need to scan the passport
Then you receive a scratch card for the WLAN. At least the staff was helpful and did the log-in for me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by SQ325
New to me:

In the Plaza Premium Lounge in BLR they need to scan the passport
Then you receive a scratch card for the WLAN. At least the staff was helpful and did the log-in for me.
Same thing happened in DELs AI lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Same thing happened in DELs AI lounge.
I used the Boingo login at the DEL AI and PP lounges a few weeks ago again. As usual there, I had trouble getting the networks to register/connect but it worked eventually.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:35 am

Spent quite a bit of time in DEL last month: PP and ITC have switched to handing out DoCoMo scratch cards, no more scanning of passports ^ AI hands out a paper strip with DoCoMo login details.

Boingo no longer works with DoCoMo for some reason, I was unable to login.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.