Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India Tourist Visa woes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

India Tourist Visa woes

I (a US citizen) applied for Indian tourist visa for 10 years. Previously I had also 10 years visa that is to expire Nov, 2014. I submitted all the documents with ~$300 fees to Travisa office. Now Travisa called me to notify that I got only 6 months approval for tourist visa which gives me visa until Dec, 2014. So I spent $300 for just 1 month visa?

My parents are very old and living alone. So I need to visit them every 4/5 months.

Is there any way I can appeal to NY Consulate General?
Please advise.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wonderland

My parents are very old and living alone. So I need to visit them every 4/5 months.
Am I right in assuming you are of Indian origin?

If so, and if PIO/OCI is not something you want to go ahead with, might I suggest you apply for a 5 year entry visa (if eligible?). Mine even came with the 180 day stay restriction struck out. Gets around the "no entry within 60 days of previous entry" restrictions as well, should that need crop up.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by wonderland
Is there any way I can appeal to NY Consulate General?
Please advise.
there is no harm in doing so....especially since you have gotten long term visas in the past....
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SQ421
Am I right in assuming you are of Indian origin?

If so, and if PIO/OCI is not something you want to go ahead with, might I suggest you apply for a 5 year entry visa (if eligible?). Mine even came with the 180 day stay restriction struck out. Gets around the "no entry within 60 days of previous entry" restrictions as well, should that need crop up.
If OP is of Indian origin and a US citizen, I think there isn't a better option that getting a OCI card. Lifetime unlimited stay visa to India. OP is there a reason why you think OCI is not an option for you?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Lowly Blue
Seems OP has gone away. But my dad's 6m tourist visa was about $300 too - the prices have gone up.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by peshwengi
Seems OP has gone away. But my dad's 6m tourist visa was about $300 too - the prices have gone up.
Did your dad apply for the 10Y and got the 6M visa too?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by peshwengi
This doesn't seem right. Just submitted two applications (me and my girlfriend) to CKGS in San Fran via FedEx. We applied for a 6-month multiple entry and the cost was 82.40 each. We opted not to pay CKGS for FedEx return, but instead included two separate prepaid FedEx return envelopes with pre-printed labels.

We have received e-mail confirmation from CKGS that they did receive the applications and the payments.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Lowly Blue
Originally Posted by lax2010
Did your dad apply for the 10Y and got the 6M visa too?
No I think he applied for the 6m.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by billk86
This doesn't seem right. Just submitted two applications (me and my girlfriend) to CKGS in San Fran via FedEx. We applied for a 6-month multiple entry and the cost was 82.40 each. We opted not to pay CKGS for FedEx return, but instead included two separate prepaid FedEx return envelopes with pre-printed labels.

We have received e-mail confirmation from CKGS that they did receive the applications and the payments.
I think OP's $300 figure might be the visa fee ($175) + agency fee ($70) + shipping/fedex. If I understand correctly, some agencies/embassies don't issue a refund if you apply for a more expensive visa but only get granted a shorter one (or denied altogether).

If I were OP and this is what happened, I'd be unhappy, too. It's bad enough to apply for a 10-year-visa and only get 6 months; it's even worse to still have to pay the 10-year-visa price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.