Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

YOUR India visa application experience with CKGS @USA

Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:47 pm

I just got this update: "Your application has been collected from the Embassy/Consulate and is being sorted. Your application will be ready for collection from our Application Centre within one business day."

Does that mean CKGS will mail my passport along with visa back to me tomorrow using the pre-paid fedex envelope I provided? Or they will mail out today?

It does not mention if my application is approved or denied. Does this message mean that my visa is approved?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
CKGS wouldnt know or care whether your visa is approved. They pass it on to the Indian embassy or consulate after checking that your documentation is ok and the fees are paid. After that the consulate sends them back the passport which they fedex to you.

"Ready for collection" sounds weird - like they expect you to go there and pick it up. You might call them if you don't get an update on package movement from fedex in the next day or two.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:01 pm

Great job CKGS

I was very worried after reading some of the horror stories of what people went through back in June. I think things got much better in July. I mailed in my application, and was shocked to get an update from CKGS (by email) that some info was missing on the main application form (for tourist visa - 6 months). Sure enough, it was my mistake. I fedexed the corrected form and a week later received my passport + 6 month tourist visa. Great job CKGS NY, for checking my forms for errors!!
Things to note:
1) Use only FedEx (i made a mistake using USPS - for some reason they don't work well with USPS)
2) Follow their instructions to every minute detail. Also fill in all their extra superfluous forms (CKGS forms). The most important form is of-course the government form you fill
3) Just mail in all the stuff and either use their mail back service ($15, they use FedEx) or enclose your prepaid return label.
4) CKGS does provide email updates.
5) Their customer service (phone) is ok and they are pretty courteous. I called them a few times. The only useful information I got from them over the website was the tracking # for the returned passport.
Overall it took 13 days door to door (including weekends). Not bad considering that there was a mistake in my app (Yeah - check your printer, the government form is A4, and so ensure that it prints correctly on to a letter size paper).
Over all a positive experience. Kudos CKGS.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: United, Continental
Interested in visa processing thru CKGS San Francisco.

I am leaving the US and will not return until the end of August. Will then have Sept. to obtain a tourist visa to India (leaving October 13). I will be attending a conference - does anyone know if the conference visas can be obtained more quickly?

Other questions:
1. Do I use the "courier service" on the CKGS website to simply prepare and print a Fedex label to the office? So I will then need to take the package to a Fedex location? Do you get the prepaid mailing label for the return from the Fedex location?
2. Is the payment for the various fees due made online or will I need a money order/cashier's check?
3. Since CKGS is the "official" partner, does this mean that all of the other expediter services (e.g., ItsEasy, TDs) work through CKGS? I am wondering whether it would be helpful to use another expediter service.

I will be submitting the application the day after I get back so want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by Traveler 7077; Aug 9, 2014 at 1:31 pm Reason: Added specific questions
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: A3
Hi, there

I am a non-US citizen and submitted my application at CKGS San Francisco in June. However, I have not received anything, neither passport nor any response, yet. My process has been stopped from July 2nd.
I sent the cancellation request last week. It takes within 3day, according to the cancellation form. However, no response.
My flights will be on August 16th. So I am really in hurry. I tried to contact them many times, however, they said "still in process, please patient."
I have no idea anymore...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:25 pm

Two weeks after I sent the forms in, I received my passport back. Applied for, and got, the 60 month visa. I called a couple of different visa agencies in SF, intending to have them do it for $80, but decided to do it myself after getting some suggestions from them.

Details:
I sent, by FedEx, a notebook with 16 pages, including all the required forms (in the specific order they requested) plus a copy of my drivers license (front and back), proof of permanent residency (water bill & property tax statement), 2 pages of financial info, PLUS a cover letter to specify my intent to visit India in the winter and return home for the summers.

I also sent CKGS the extra $15 for them to FedEx the passport back, which was overnighted.

I received emails each step of the process once they received the forms. My only gripe is that there was no FedEx Tracking Number sent in the final email saying they had dispatched the passport......

Overkill?? After reading the stories about people getting 6 or 12 months when requesting 5 or 10 years, I thought I'd err on the side of Too Much Information.

Best to you all!

t
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:16 pm

well, I got my passport back with 6-month Indian visa today. It took less than two weeks. It could've been shorter if they didn't hold up the fedex package until Friday. Had they handed the package on Thursday, I could've received it on Friday instead of waiting for two weekend days.

I overnighted my application on 7/30, they received it on 7/31, but tracking didn't show up until 8/1. Updates were provided every few days on CKGS online tracking system. The passport was returned from Indian embassy to CGKS on 8/7, but the returned envelope that I provided didn't get dropped off at Fedex unitil 8/8. 8/11, overnight fedex package arrived at front door in the morning.

After the fiasco in June, it seems like CKGS finally got its act together.

I wonder if CKGS will still exist after India implements Visa-on-Arrival in December.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Hey, just note that the "conference visa" category appears to be for paid speakers (for example someone who is being reimbursed to do a keynote)

The requirements for that are extremely complex.

If you're just coming there to present a paper / sit on a panel / sit in the audience, then get yourself a plain old tourist visa. I am sure you'll also want to see the Taj Mahal or whatever else, so that's all right.

Originally Posted by Traveler 7077
Interested in visa processing thru CKGS San Francisco.

I am leaving the US and will not return until the end of August. Will then have Sept. to obtain a tourist visa to India (leaving October 13). I will be attending a conference - does anyone know if the conference visas can be obtained more quickly?

Other questions:
1. Do I use the "courier service" on the CKGS website to simply prepare and print a Fedex label to the office? So I will then need to take the package to a Fedex location? Do you get the prepaid mailing label for the return from the Fedex location?
2. Is the payment for the various fees due made online or will I need a money order/cashier's check?
3. Since CKGS is the "official" partner, does this mean that all of the other expediter services (e.g., ItsEasy, TDs) work through CKGS? I am wondering whether it would be helpful to use another expediter service.

I will be submitting the application the day after I get back so want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
In houston average tourist visa time is 2-3 weeks from what I've seen. The pick up process is extremely slow you just sit and wait for half an hour until someone shows up magically with your passport.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:18 am

Angry

The frustration has hit the ceiling and we do not foresee any quality and service improvement by CKGS. I somehow fail to understand why is the Indian government have such jokers like these working for them who have no sense of responsibility nor any understanding of sensitivity of our travel plans.

I have friends who have setup their business expansion in India but cannot get a Business Visa at the required time. People who want to visit their families and old parents cannot as no timely tourist visa is given or other friends who want to visit India for pilgrimage tours but cant get a timely visa.

People prefer to go to any other country than INDIA.

What is happening???? Are we Serious or is it a JOKE ??

Does India wants tourists or businessmen for countrys growth or keep crying for money to be paid in bribe only ??????

I have taken the initiative to write to each of the below individual who HAVE TO HEAR US NOW else we will have to cancel our plans to visit India in the future with the pathetic CKGS conditions.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

WE NEED ANSWERS AND THEY HAVE TO GIVE US AS THEY HAVE HIRED CKGS TO SERVE US RATHER THAN SPOIL OUR LIFE AND OUR HAPPINESS.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Any update on visa processing times? I would be seeking a tourist visa from the San Francisco office. Right now my window of opportunity between overseas trips is 14 business days, which seems to be cutting it too close from what I've read here and from what the websites of private visa processing services such as TDS are indicating.

Also, just to be clear, there's no way to expedite processing right now, is there?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: United Plat; Starwoods Platinum

Folks ,
On arrival tourist visa is coming for india starting in October . Visitors will be given 30 day single entry visa . Citizens of 180 counties including US, Canada and UK will be eligible .
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by rommance_lover
Folks ,
On arrival tourist visa is coming for india starting in October . Visitors will be given 30 day single entry visa . Citizens of 180 counties including US, Canada and UK will be eligible .
Where are you seeing this reported?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: United Plat; Starwoods Platinum
Various news outlet reported this back in feb . Here is one of them http://www.discoverindia.net/en/news/view/indian-visa-on-arrival-effective-october-01-2014/
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rommance_lover
Various news outlet reported this back in feb . Here is one of them http://www.discoverindia.net/en/news...tober-01-2014/
Given the Indian government has even this summer been ordering and paying for more outsourced visa processing offices and is pushing out more fingerprint scanners to these offices, it seems this government is the same model of "efficiency" as the previous ones. Hopefully this doesn't mean they slow down th vIsa-on-arrival expansion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.