Wiki Posts
Search

Flying into/out of Chennai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Flying into/out of Chennai

Am due to transit via Chennai next Saturday/Sunday.

In from BKK with Thai and out to FRA with Lufti - both in Business.

I've seen varying reports on ease of getting around Chennai airport Anna terminal.

Any advice please?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AledRoberts

I've seen varying reports on ease of getting around Chennai airport Anna terminal.

Any advice please?
Since the subject of your post pertains specifically to India, I've moved the thread to our India forum where it will likely receive more knowledgeable attention.

FlyerTalkers replying to this query are asked to please note that this post originated at the flame-free Information Desk.

Thank you, and best of luck!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by AledRoberts

Any advice please?
welcome to ft aledroberts....how long do you have between the two flights????
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold
agree- your transit time and whether this is an overnight connection would really change things.

The Chennai international terminal is really not a fun experience, in my opinion. Some tips:

1. if you have a long/overnight connection, book a hotel room at one of the nearby hotels that has a shuttle to pick you up/drop you off. There is really nothing to be done at the airport on either side of security

2. if you do leave the airport, have a printed copy of your itinerary as you will need that to re-enter terminal

3. do your best to either bring food with you or get out of the airport. I made this mistake and ended up eating cup-o-noodles as the only food I could find available

4. don't expect anything better in the lounges. I was have been to two lounges there, neither one was great or had any significant food.

sorry I sound down on the airport there. The domestic terminal is actually much nicer than the international, but unfortunately you will not be able to access that. Just minimize your time in MAA and you will be fine. When you get to your J seat to depart you will be happy again.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 pm

You may need to check with both airlines as there are a few questions:
- can you check thru luggage?
- will you be able to get the BP for the LH flight in BKK?

I cant remember seeing a transfer desk in MAA. You may need to clear immigration (you have a visa for India), pick up your luggage and walk over to the new terminal to CI.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Printed itineraries aren't necessary any longer, you can show them the ticket on your phone or ipad and that's fine. You do need to show ID that matches the ticket to enter the terminal though.

Yes, overnighting isn't an option at the terminal .. but TG arrives at 11:40 PM on Saturday while LH departs at 1:50 AM. Two hours ten minutes for an international to international transit .. what you do is exit the plane and grab the nearest LH staffer (there's going to be some in the gate area), tell them you're on an international transit and they'll walk you through it.

I believe this includes your physically identifying your bags on the ramp once the're offloaded from TG ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.