Search

Get a 10 year visa while living in SF?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Get a 10 year visa while living in SF?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa. Looks like as of 1/1/14 the SF consulate no longer offers the 10 year visa, only the 5 year one. Is there a legal way for me to get a 10 year one? The reason I ask, is I think **legally** the consulate serving the area of your residence is the only one who is supposed to issue your visa.

Is there a way for me to get it issued in NYC or DC, that is not illegal?

Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
are you sure its only the sf consulate that is not offering the 10 year visa anymore????
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Looks like it: Travisa visa and consular fees
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by goodndntwin
didn't travisa stop processing india visas some time back????

i thought bls was doing this now....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...residents.html
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

No, they still process applications. BLS does as well, but given they almost lost the contract, and have lost people's passports, I'll stick with the devil I know. Anyway BLS similarly does not issue 10 year visas from SF.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I didn't think Travisa was doing them anymore either. I thought they could only be done through BLS. Would have gotten my PIO through Travisa if I could...my tourist visa a couple of years ago was very easy and fast through them....

On the other hand, I thought they were taking bids to replace BLS. On the other hand, rumor here is visa on arrival is supposed to start by the end of the year, so the visa thing for tourists should be much easier at that point. Of course, saying it will be done by the end of the year doesn't mean it will actually happen by then.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
are you sure its only the sf consulate that is not offering the 10 year visa anymore????
I can confirm DC is offering 10 year visas ... just got one last week through BLS.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterTanaka
I can confirm DC is offering 10 year visas ... just got one last week through BLS.
MisterTanaka, did you go in person? How long did it take?

I'm going tomorrow morning and since I don't live in DC the earliest I can pick it up is mid June. I had a visa transferred in 2011 by Travisa and that took about 3 weeks. Trying to decide if I should pick up in person or have it FedExed to me.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I went on Friday to the BLS processing office in DC. Was told that because of jurisdiction issues they couldn't process my application, I'd have to do it in SF. When I asked if there was any way to get a 10 year visa while living in SF the ever helpful employee just kept repeating he couldn't process it here. Another win for critical thinking skills.

Long story short: you cannot get a 10 year visa if SF is your assigned consulate.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I had a huge run around today. Since my residency is in LA I can't get a visa processed in NY. Have to have not only an ID but a utility bill.

Longest story in the shortest version, you can get a 10 yr visa, it would cost around 300 + dollars, BUT you have to have it done in your place of residence.

So I went to a highly recommended Indian travel agency, and the gentleman told me to start the procedure ASAP, because by the end of May BLS won't be authorized anymore and they don't know who it is, and BLS has the reputation of losing passports (he said someone found a stack of them in the garbage).

So, this is the latest that I know off.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I had a huge run around today. Since my residency is in LA I can't get a visa processed in NY. Have to have not only an ID but a utility bill.

Longest story in the shortest version, you can get a 10 yr visa, it would cost around 300 + dollars, BUT you have to have it done in your place of residence.

So I went to a highly recommended Indian travel agency, and the gentleman told me to start the procedure ASAP, because by the end of May BLS won't be authorized anymore and they don't know who it is, and BLS has the reputation of losing passports (he said someone found a stack of them in the garbage).

So, this is the latest that I know off.
Cox & Kings has the new deal with the Indian Government when it comes to India's consular functions that currently use BLS in the US. So BLS is on the way out and C&K is on the way in starting in a couple of weeks at most.

My experience with C&K as Indian visa gatekeeper in parts of Europe has been far better than what I've experienced with BLS as Indian visa gatekeeper in the US.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Thanks for that info GUWonder. I agree that C&K should be much, much better than BLS.
Old May 10, 2014, 5:00 am

My experience last October was that SF issued a 10 year visa and NYC issued a 5 year visa when both applications were for 10 year visas. So getting it done through the NY consulate may not be a useful strategy anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.