OCI card & New passport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
OCI card & New passport

Two questions -

A toddlers first passport is expiring in June will he be allowed to visit India in April or does the passport need to be valid for 3/6 months?

If I get the passport renewed before the trip do I need to get the OCI cert moved to new passport or can we just carry the old passport and the OCI card?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just read this timatic:
http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...buser=DELTAB2C

and
https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/t...buser=DELTAB2C

Highlights for your situation:

Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.
If the passport is renewed, the OCI "U" type visa issued in the old
passport remains valid, even if the holder acquires a new nationality (excluding Bangladesh or Pakistan). It is required to hold both passports.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Perfect. So we shouldn't have any problems if we don't renew the passport. Thanks Oliver2002 ^

Just out of interest has anyone moved the OCI to a new passport? How was the experience?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by onlysuites
A toddlers first passport is expiring in June will he be allowed to visit India in April or does the passport need to be valid for 3/6 months?
i believe if an indian passport holder is traveling outside india then the passport needs to be valid for atleast 6 months....there seems to be no requirement the other way around....
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i believe if an indian passport holder is traveling outside india then the passport needs to be valid for atleast 6 months....there seems to be no requirement the other way around....
Cool.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:16 pm

i believe if an indian passport holder is traveling outside india then the passport needs to be valid for atleast 6 months....
No. It depends on the country being visited. The USA for example allows Indian passport holders to enter up to the last date of validity of their passports due to a reciprocal agreement with India.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by B747-437B
No. It depends on the country being visited. The USA for example allows Indian passport holders to enter up to the last date of validity of their passports due to a reciprocal agreement with India.
are you sure????i can't comment on the us but i remember my wife was told to get her passport renewed before visiting europe since she had less than 6 months left before it expires....
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:08 am

are you sure????i can't comment on the us but i remember my wife was told to get her passport renewed before visiting europe since she had less than 6 months left before it expires....
Yes, I am absolutely sure.

Schengen states require that Indian citizen's passports must be valid for 90 days / 3 months beyond the intended period of stay. If the intended period of stay is 2 days for example, then you must have 92 days remaining validity upon the date of entry.

The USA, UK, Australia and Canada have no such requirement - merely that the passport is valid upon the dates of entry and exit.

Other countries have different requirements - Hong Kong requires 1 month, South Africa requires 30 days, Indonesia requires 6 months and so forth. No one-size-fits-all by any means.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Schengen states require that Indian citizen's passports must be valid for 90 days / 3 months beyond the intended period of stay. If the intended period of stay is 2 days for example, then you must have 92 days remaining validity upon the date of entry.

The USA, UK, Australia and Canada have no such requirement - merely that the passport is valid upon the dates of entry and exit.

Other countries have different requirements - Hong Kong requires 1 month, South Africa requires 30 days, Indonesia requires 6 months and so forth. No one-size-fits-all by any means.
thanks....good to know....
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

^
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:58 pm

Using the search function, this is the closest thread I could find
(google search produce better results than search forum function of FT)
Please point to appropriate thread if there is a better thread out there.

When I had originally applied for OCI, it was truely a lifelong visa. It seems at some point, babus have introduced requirement that after age 50, you need to go through painful process all over again when you get new US passport (so technically, India does not care when - anytime between age 50 and 60 - rather a requirement dependent on US passport issuance)

I could not find explanation/reasoning behind this seemingly idiotic requirement. Has anyone ever found out where this requirement came from and when did it start?

The usual "security" reason does not make sense (yet to find a senior citizen terrorist!!)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desi
Using the search function, this is the closest thread I could find
(google search produce better results than search forum function of FT)
Please point to appropriate thread if there is a better thread out there.

When I had originally applied for OCI, it was truely a lifelong visa. It seems at some point, babus have introduced requirement that after age 50, you need to go through painful process all over again when you get new US passport (so technically, India does not care when - anytime between age 50 and 60 - rather a requirement dependent on US passport issuance)

I could not find explanation/reasoning behind this seemingly idiotic requirement. Has anyone ever found out where this requirement came from and when did it start?

The usual "security" reason does not make sense (yet to find a senior citizen terrorist!!)
Are you sure about this? I can't find this anywhere on their OCI site. I thought you simply had to put in for a new photo card which seems like a new application but is not.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:51 pm

It is re-issue of OCI.

Paperwork gets sent from INdia.
You have to cancel old OCI and get new OCI card as well as new sticker in new passport.
Process can take one to two months in addition to hassles of dealing with Indian Consulate (something I thought LIFE LONG visa meant never again)

But more critically, you lose ability to travel to India at moment's notice because as soon as you get new US passport, old OCI is invalid.

With 10 year visa, you can still travel with old passport and new passport
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desi
It is re-issue of OCI.

Paperwork gets sent from INdia.
You have to cancel old OCI and get new OCI card as well as new sticker in new passport.
Process can take one to two months in addition to hassles of dealing with Indian Consulate (something I thought LIFE LONG visa meant never again)

But more critically, you lose ability to travel to India at moment's notice because as soon as you get new US passport, old OCI is invalid.

With 10 year visa, you can still travel with old passport and new passport
Interesting... Is this only for US passport holders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.