Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Small VISA query from Indian Passport Holders...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I just wanted to post this thread in this column as there are many Indian passport holders who could reply my query. I would be traveling to BKK via KUL in Feb next year and while returning from HKG, would stay in KUL for few days.I already sent an email to Malaysian Embassy, however still don't understand their reply.

From the information i gathered, Malaysia doesn't have any Transit VISA category. We have to apply for a regular VISA. The main concern - I would be traveling via transit on the way and then staying there. Few websites said that i don't need any transit VISA for 1 hr and few minutes as long as i would be traveling on Malaysian Airlines. Few websites advised me that i need to apply for MEV ( Multiple Entry VISA ). The email from Embassy only states i need to apply for a VISA.

Could anyone help me on this.

One more - My itinenary includes DEL KUL BKK // HKG KUL // KUL DEL

Should i add Jet Airways frequent flyer miles? How many miles i would be. It's W class on the way out and B for the return.

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Indians transiting KUL for BKK don't need a visa, its OK to TWOV:

https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/t...buser=DELTAB2C
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:28 am

I think OP wants to stay in KUL for "few" days on his return leg. This would mean he needs to get a VISA prior to his departure. AFAIK Malaysia does not issue VOA for Indian passport holders.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Ah, that part I missed. Its seems if you arrive on MH or AK you can stay for 120h/5days on TWOV as Indian. ^
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:15 am

I think TWOV also comes with some restrictions. Pax needs to have a valid visa or resident permit for US/UK/Aus/Euro/Swiss and one of these should be the destination while making a stop over. Better to check with a good TA.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ah, that part I missed. Its seems if you arrive on MH or AK you can stay for 120h/5days on TWOV as Indian. ^
Careful, there have occasionally been some restrictions the malaysians have imposed in the past. Like - passports issued in Tamil Nadu were at one time not allowed to use this facility.

Getting a malaysian visa only takes you 2..3 days and all you need is a copy of your air ticket and passport, along with a small fee. So get it before you travel
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by taran_2005
One more - My itinenary includes DEL KUL BKK // HKG KUL // KUL DEL

Should i add Jet Airways frequent flyer miles? How many miles i would be. It's W class on the way out and B for the return.
use the jet airways mileage calculator:

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/JetP...alculator.aspx
Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by hserus
Like - passports issued in Tamil Nadu were at one time not allowed to use this facility.
Lol! To prevent a Tamil invasion of MY? Or because its easier for a south Indian to go underground in MY?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your response!!

I checked with Malaysian Embassy. I am still wondering what exact requirements they have. I email'd Malaysian Embassy and what they mentioned VISA is mandate which i am aware of as i would be staying there for few days.

What concerns me whether i need multiple or single entry VISA? When i spoke with them, they said all VISA's are multiple entry which really made me think.I called up 2 travel agencies and even Thomas Cook VISA services and they said i need to apply under MEV ( Multiple entry VISA)....Whom should i trust?

The other thing - as per Malaysian Embassy website, as long as it's the same terminal, change in aircraft and on MH, i don't need visa for transit, but they gave me some other information even though i have clearly mentioned that it would be ONLY CHANGE IN AIRCRAFTS ON SAME A/L AND I WOULD GET THE BOARDING PASS IN DEL.

Any further insights would be helpful.

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:45 am

@Taran

Don't know, but I suspect it looks like this is your first trip abroad. If you are just changing flights at KLIA (that is connecting to another flight which will take you to a different country within 23 hrs 59 mins after your arrival into terminal), you don't need any visa.

However if you want to stay more than 24 hrs in Malaysia, you would surely need a visa. As I have experienced, Malaysia issues multiple entry visa valid for 30 days stay upon each entry. This visa shall be given for 1 year duration. You can make any number entries within 1 year. But you need to obtain this prior to your entry. Also it doesn't cost much.

Hope this is clear.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:56 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Del issues 6 month multiple entry whereas Bombay 1 year. Visa costs 1000 rupees. Just apply for a multiple entry. You will be sorted in a couple of days. It's a pretty hassle free visa.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
I last visited KL in mid 2011 and this is what I know:

KL airport has 2 terminals, one for full service (eg. MH) and another for LCCs (eg. Air Asia). If you are transiting KL airport from the same terminal i.e. not changing from full service to LCC or vice versa, you don't need a transit visa. However, if you intend to pass immigration, be it for stay or change of terminal, you will need a Visa. As posted above, it is quite simple to get Malaysia visa and it is by default multiple entry.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your response!!

The reason i am afraid as i got different details from all recognized resources. It's not all about how much i travel, as i always take a copy of email from Embassy with my travel documents. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I was surprised because when i called up MH Embassy, they said that Indian passport holders who would travel via KUL even without change in terminal needs to apply for a visa.

But, i appreciate information by kshastry,speedfreak and tirajat.

Thanks a ton.

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

This is to provide you with an update. Malaysian Embassy issued me a MEV. If a passenger is travelling on Malaysian Airlines, no transit VISA is required. You don't even have to go through passport control or any of the custom formalities.

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by taran_2005
Hi everyone,

This is to provide you with an update. Malaysian Embassy issued me a MEV. If a passenger is travelling on Malaysian Airlines, no transit VISA is required. You don't even have to go through passport control or any of the custom formalities.

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Thanks people, MEV u got on arrival?

just spoke with a lady at malaysian airlines & she said i need transit visa if i do not do through checkin. Be it same airline or different airlines.
Also she said Transit visa is on arrival.

Can somebody clear the air?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.