Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Advice on Amritsar-Dharamsala(Mcleod Ganj)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hello,

We are reaching Amritsar on Saturday noon and need to get back to Delhi by latest Monday afternoon.

I was wondering if we have enough time to squeeze in a night in Dharamsala
i.e. stay saturday night in Amritsar and sunday night in Dharamsala - fly DHM-DEL on Monday morning.

Is it worth going Amritsar-Dharamsala just for a day? How long is the drive? - we plan to get a private cab

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: qantas airnz
I don't think so. We were there last week & actually travelled Dharamsala to Amritsar.Trucks, motorbikes, animal drawn vehicles, accidents, vehicles travelling the wrong way towards you etc & many incomplete sections of road that require slow driving through villages & farms slow you down. Our driver was conservative, fast on the good sections but very safe-I was glad I was not in some of the vehicles I saw. It took us between 5-6hrs-it was a celebration weekend so the timing was distorted but speed is slowed by the same factors.
In Amritsar the Golden Temple was a highlight-we visited at sunset & again in the morning & it was a trip highlight. The India/Pakistan border crossing ceremony in the afternoon was also a great experience.
Keep in mind you can take the 5.5hr train trip from Amritsar to Delhi but you need to book your tickets
If you go to Dharamsala the Dalai Lama complex, the Norbulingka Institute, Gyuto Monastery & further afield the Kangra Fort were all worth a visit but we had 3 nights there.
It even takes a while between Dharamsala & McLeod Ganj-don't believe the Google Maps 13 minutes.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RussellJ
Trucks, motorbikes, animal drawn vehicles, accidents, vehicles travelling the wrong way towards you etc & many incomplete sections of road that require slow driving through villages & farms slow you down.
sounds like a typical drive on an indian highway....
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I dropped plans for Dharamsala. We will fly to Delhi from Amritsar and that now gives us 2 days in Agra. Not sure if we need 2 there ... not really keen to go Jaipur.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Acid
Thanks. I dropped plans for Dharamsala. We will fly to Delhi from Amritsar and that now gives us 2 days in Agra. Not sure if we need 2 there ... not really keen to go Jaipur.
i would pick jaipur over amritsar....
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
i would pick jaipur over amritsar....
Another vote for Jaipur!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:33 am
Original Poster

I have been to Jaipur in late 90's and hated the experience (food, places etc.)
What is so special? I would have loved to go to Udaipur, Jaisalmer etc but those are too far from Agra...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been to Jaipur in late 90's and hated the experience (food, places etc.)
What is so special? I would have loved to go to Udaipur, Jaisalmer etc but those are too far from Agra...
a lot has changed since the late 90's....do you remember where you stayed & the places you saw when you were last there????
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:12 am
Original Poster

a lot has changed since the late 90's....do you remember where you stayed & the places you saw when you were last there????
Yes - I was there for a wedding and stayed at Laxmi Misthan Bhandar(or the hotel just above LMB)....I dont remember all the places we saw but I do remember we struggled to get good food(finally found a dhaba on my last day there with the best Butter Chicken I have ever had...)
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes - I was there for a wedding and stayed at Laxmi Misthan Bhandar(or the hotel just above LMB)....I dont remember all the places we saw but I do remember we struggled to get good food(finally found a dhaba on my last day there with the best Butter Chicken I have ever had...)
good food is not an issue in jaipur anymore....i make about a dozen trips to jaipur for work every year & i can't even remember the last time i didn't have a good meal there....there is definitely lots more to see & do in jaipur than there is in amritsar....

there are a number of great hotels to pick from in jaipur....this was not the case 10 years ago....the 3 i usually stay at are the starwood properties....i normally get the itc rajputana & le méridien for around $100 a night & the four points for between $50-$75 per night....if you want to stay at other heritage properties then there are dozens to pick from....if price is not a factor then the rambagh palace is an amazing place to stay....even if you don't stay there, a visit to have a meal at one of its restaurants is a must....
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:13 am
Original Poster

good food is not an issue in jaipur anymore....i make about a dozen trips to jaipur for work every year & i can't even remember the last time i didn't have a good meal there....there is definitely lots more to see & do in jaipur than there is in amritsar....

there are a number of great hotels to pick from in jaipur....this was not the case 10 years ago....the 3 i usually stay at are the starwood properties....i normally get the itc rajputana & le méridien for around $100 a night & the four points for between $50-$75 per night....if you want to stay at other heritage properties then there are dozens to pick from....if price is not a factor then the rambagh palace is an amazing place to stay....even if you don't stay there, a visit to have a meal at one of its restaurants is a must....

Amritsar is only for the Golden Temple - always wanted to see it. I'll try make it to Jaipur for a day. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For future reference (I know the OP has changed plans since), I can thoroughly recommend the Amritsar-Jogindernagar railway. I used this line on my first visit to India, years ago (late 90s) having just crossed the border at Wagah.

It was an old-fashioned metre gauge line, the carriages of the old-fashioned wooden seat variety. Much of the traffic was local, and the people-watching was quite wonderful. Unlike the better known metre gauge lines (e.g. Shimla, Ooty, Matheran) it was quiet and untouristy, and gently wound its way up into the Himalayas.

We stopped at McLeod Ganj for several nights, then at another intermediate station which I forget, and finally at Jogindernagar where we used the basic but rather wonderful station retiring room, which was formerly the stationmaster's quarters. It just so happened that we stumbled on a festival in the town, so had a great evening sampling every type of Himachal sweet on offer.

The train journey was fascinating, gently picturesque and hugely sociable. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was easy to arrange onward transport from Jogindernagar to Shimla the next day (a stunning, if occasionally hair-raising drive, but nothing on the roads around Besham, Murree and Abbottabad that we'd just come from...) From Shimla, of course, the way down is on the wonderful train to Kalka.

Quite a wonderful journey, and quite an introduction to India (well, I'd been on the Shatabdi express to Amritsar just before to get to Lahore, but that was a bit of a blur - my first introduction was Paharganj in Delhi).

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Golden Temple. There's something incredibly special about pilgrimage sites, even if you're not religious yourself. It has the added bonus of being rather stunning, too! There's not much else in the city, but I took a quick shine to Punjabi food when I was there.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
You can even rent your own train on the Joginder Nagar run - have the railways run a special, for like $400 (though the rates may have changed a bit - that webpage looks old).

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/rai...04,366,535,960

Originally Posted by stut
For future reference (I know the OP has changed plans since), I can thoroughly recommend the Amritsar-Jogindernagar railway. I used this line on my first visit to India, years ago (late 90s) having just crossed the border at Wagah.

It was an old-fashioned metre gauge line, the carriages of the old-fashioned wooden seat variety. Much of the traffic was local, and the people-watching was quite wonderful. Unlike the better known metre gauge lines (e.g. Shimla, Ooty, Matheran) it was quiet and untouristy, and gently wound its way up into the Himalayas.

We stopped at McLeod Ganj for several nights, then at another intermediate station which I forget, and finally at Jogindernagar where we used the basic but rather wonderful station retiring room, which was formerly the stationmaster's quarters. It just so happened that we stumbled on a festival in the town, so had a great evening sampling every type of Himachal sweet on offer.

The train journey was fascinating, gently picturesque and hugely sociable. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was easy to arrange onward transport from Jogindernagar to Shimla the next day (a stunning, if occasionally hair-raising drive, but nothing on the roads around Besham, Murree and Abbottabad that we'd just come from...) From Shimla, of course, the way down is on the wonderful train to Kalka.

Quite a wonderful journey, and quite an introduction to India (well, I'd been on the Shatabdi express to Amritsar just before to get to Lahore, but that was a bit of a blur - my first introduction was Paharganj in Delhi).

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Golden Temple. There's something incredibly special about pilgrimage sites, even if you're not religious yourself. It has the added bonus of being rather stunning, too! There's not much else in the city, but I took a quick shine to Punjabi food when I was there.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I do love the idea of hiring my own train!

However... If the first class carriages are the same as they were when I visited, they have poor views - the seats may be cushioned, but they are transverse, and higher than the windows. And aren't the views and sociability part of the fun of a journey like this?

Still - my own train - hmm!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

I worth hiring the train but it too costly for a normal people to hire that. For a small distance hiring such train is bit out of question for a middle class people in India while don't know you people can do that Rs 20000 is not more just around 350 $.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.