Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

transit visa necessary for international connection in mumbai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

I have a RT ticket to Mumbai from JFK on Air France, July 28. Originally I was planning on traveling through India for a month but the processing company India uses for its visas delayed (or possibly lost) my passport and now I will not get it (or a visa) back in time for my trip. I can still get a new expedited passport before I leave but I will not have any sort of visa for India.

So, I'm trying to see if I can change my plans without losing my non-refundable ticket. I had been planning on going to Sri Lanka anyway and I can book a RT ticket Mumbai - Colombo, so I never actually go outside of the airport. Visas for Sri Lanka take about ten minutes and I already have one. What I'm wondering, though, is if I still need a transit visa for India. I will be arriving in Mumbai on Air France and transferring to a flight to Colombo, but they are booked as separate tickets. I will have no luggage. I have been trying to figure this out and from what I can tell, as long as I don't leave the terminal, I am fine. But I don't know if I'll have to leave the terminal to make this transfer and Air France has no answers. The airlines I am looking at for the Sri Lankan leg of my trip are mostly Jet Airways and Sri Lankan Air.

It seems like they would all be arriving/departing out of the international terminal, so I should be fine? It's not really a gamble I'd like to make, though. Does anyone have an answer or experience they could share with this? I've read through several threads about transfers and transit visas, but they all seem to be international-to-domestic, and booked as one ticket. Not separately, as I have done (or would do).
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No problem at all. No visa required. On arrival head to the international transfer desk, don't follow the crowds to immigration. At the transfer desk they will contact the airline to get you a boarding pass for the next flight.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much!

(And thanks for moving the thread, I wasn't sure if I was posting it in the right place.)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
bom is a mess but international to international connections should be fine....the following thread has lots of info that could be useful for you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...-airports.html
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:01 am

Even on one ticket (Int-int) we had our pasports etc taken... we waited a significant amount of time before the airport staffer returned with our docs and BP's..

THEN came the worst part...we had to negotiate the SCRUM of trying to get through security. Must be a cultural thing but the local version of a queue was "shove in from all sides"

REALLY irritating.... We lost so much time that we pretty much had to go straight to the departure gate.

Bloody awful airport.

If you think the "transit" procedures in the US are bad... try BOM!!! Takes longer and you aren't even entering the country.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Welcome to India, mate!

And yes the queue's really are just like that. BOM is the worst for transits, pretty much any other airport will be better.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by trooper
Even on one ticket (Int-int) we had our pasports etc taken... we waited a significant amount of time before the airport staffer returned with our docs and BP's..

THEN came the worst part...we had to negotiate the SCRUM of trying to get through security. Must be a cultural thing but the local version of a queue was "shove in from all sides"

REALLY irritating.... We lost so much time that we pretty much had to go straight to the departure gate.

Bloody awful airport.

If you think the "transit" procedures in the US are bad... try BOM!!! Takes longer and you aren't even entering the country.
bom has always been this bad....that is why i suggest transiting at any other airport besides bom....
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:18 am

Sound advice!! ^
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No problem at all. No visa required. On arrival head to the international transfer desk, don't follow the crowds to immigration. At the transfer desk they will contact the airline to get you a boarding pass for the next flight.
I'm heading to DPS in March, and the best option seems to be JFK-AUH-BOM on EY connecting to a separate SQ flight BOM-SIN-DPS. Assuming EY will interline my baggage with SQ, would I be able to use the transit desk and avoid getting a transit visa?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yes. But the EY-SQ interline is not a given.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Given the new terminal, I’m not sure if anyone has any experience on this… but here goes: I’m flying LHR-BOM with BA in May. I need to catch a connecting Jet Airways flight to Colombo (on a separate ticket) same day. BA have told me they can’t guarantee they’ll check luggage through as it’s on a separate ticket. There is still a chance but as visa on arrival is not an option in Mumbai (UK passport) I think I’ll need a Transit Visa.

Is there a transfer desk on arrival in Mumbai, where I can show them my BOM-CMB boarding pass and they can direct my luggae from BA plane onto the Jet Airways? This avoids me from having to get Transits visas (£66 each) for me and my family. Any advice welcome
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:20 am

BA will NOT tag your luggage if there is a separate ticket, they have clear rules in place for such things. You are pretty much at 9Ws mercy in BOM, but I think they will collect your bags from the belt for you.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA will NOT tag your luggage if there is a separate ticket, they have clear rules in place for such things....., but I think they will collect your bags from the belt for you.
Is there any website claiming they will collect my bags as I've never heard of this service? Would it be organized at International transfer desk when I collect boarding passes?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:39 am

9W is pretty helpful in most cases, hence my speculation.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Contemplating a CMB-DEL-ORD trip with two separate PNRs... CMB-DEL UL ticket connecting 8 hours later to AI DEL-ORD.
Can I assume a similar international transfer desk at DEL?
Any one foresee issues with CMB boarding (lack of visa) on separate PNRs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.