Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

interesting experience to get a schengen visa....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

interesting experience to get a schengen visa....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
Whatever the situation: understanding/misunderstanding there is NEVER a good reason to be rude.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:09 pm

And I once had a Nairobi immigration officer ask if I came to settle in the country because that what it said on my visa. She read the visa stamp which said "Settlement, USD 20".
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by jtjackson
Funny how consular/immigration people can be.

Back in the early 1980s, I went to live in West Germany. I had to go the local office (in Aachen, on the Dutch border and far from the normal "US zone" in the south) to arrange my status/documents. Being young and naive, I just went to the local office waited my turn. Virtually everyone else in the waiting room was Turkish or Yugoslavian. When my turn came, I sat down in front of a very young German official, handed him my US passport, and greeted him in my best (shaky) formal German.
He looked stunned and turned to ask his (much older) colleague:
"I have never seen an American passport before - what do I give him?"
To which the colleague, after glancing at my passport and me in a suit and tie, replied:
"Anything he wants".
I walked out 10 minutes later with a multi-year residency/work permit and a note to another office that they should issue me a driving license immediately.

I am sure that would not happen today, but it sure made my day.
Wow, that's a helluva story! How times have changed...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by Keyser
sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i thought i must give an update of my experience this past saturday evening....

my wife & i were attending a friend's dinner party & the same visa counselor from 4 years ago was there as well....at first i didn't recognize her but kept thinking i had seen her somewhere before....after a while it struck me that this was probably the same girl....

i asked the hostess who this girl was....it turned out she was the wife of one of the host's friends but she didn't know her well or whether she worked for the dutch embassy....curiosity got the better of me so i asked her to introduce me to her....we walked up to her & after the introduction i asked her if she worked at the dutch embassy....she confirmed that she used to work there but hadn't done so for a number of years now....

i then started to narrate the incident that took place & my friend the hostess had a good laugh while this girl seemed a little embarrassed....i asked her why she left her job at the embassy & she said she moved on to another job....i told her i hoped where ever she was working now she was treating the people she came across with a little more respect & humility than she showed me....

my friend sensed the sarcasm in my voice & took it upon herself to find out from common friends what happened with her employment at the dutch embassy....turns out she was asked to leave because the people at the embassy got a few complaints about her & were not happy with her performance....

hopefully the embassy replaced her with someone more respectful & knowledgeable....
Mmmm, that's a great parable there. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Perhaps there is the remote possibility that woman at the consulate office issuing the visa mistook "arbitration" as some convoluted variation of the Dutch word "arbeider" which means worker; she may have assumed that the OP was going there looking for work.
very unlikely....i was pretty clear why i was going & she had all the documentation to that effect as well....i had submitted everything in advance & she had all the papers with her while she was interviewing me....

it was not just me, the people she interviewed before me were also treated with a great amount of disrespect & were asked stupid questions....
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
They must have a scheme to hire the people who will accept the lowest compensation and fewest job benefits. Maybe a reverse auction, where potential hires bid for the job with the least amount they will accept. Obviously, their training is minimal. As an American, this is an astonishing story to me. I cannot imagine going through this kind of a farcical process. I would have been beside myself.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm reading this because it made it to TalkMail. What a great ending!!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Lufthansa Frequent Flyer
Great posting. It must have been a very frustrating experience.
One thing to keep in mind with Schengen visas: You always have to (re-)apply at the consulate of the country that you will visit first. If you are flying to the Netherlands, then going to France, you have to get the visa from the NL consulate. They used to be somewhat lax about this rule, but the last couple of years the authorities have cracked down. Some of my colleagues have had their "knuckles rapped" for not following this rule.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SCADAflyer
Great posting. It must have been a very frustrating experience.
One thing to keep in mind with Schengen visas: You always have to (re-)apply at the consulate of the country that you will visit first. If you are flying to the Netherlands, then going to France, you have to get the visa from the NL consulate. They used to be somewhat lax about this rule, but the last couple of years the authorities have cracked down. Some of my colleagues have had their "knuckles rapped" for not following this rule.
there are some exceptions to this rule....the primary one being you can apply for your visa at the consulate of the country where you will be spending the most amount of time on your first visit with that visa....for example, if you are on a week long trip & traveling to france for a couple of days & to switzerland for 5 days then you can even apply at the swiss embassy....
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by judyserienagy
They must have a scheme to hire the people who will accept the lowest compensation and fewest job benefits. Maybe a reverse auction, where potential hires bid for the job with the least amount they will accept. Obviously, their training is minimal. As an American, this is an astonishing story to me. I cannot imagine going through this kind of a farcical process. I would have been beside myself.
And yet we have the TSA...
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Not sure why Americans are so surprised. I've found the local staff at American posts (at least in Israel, France, and Sweden) to be horrendous people. The American diplomatic staff are generally excellent though
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not sure why Americans are so surprised. I've found the local staff at American posts (at least in Israel, France, and Sweden) to be horrendous people. The American diplomatic staff are generally excellent though
Surprised to hear that about our embassy in Sweden.

I deal with the local staff at our embassy in Sweden and they seem at least as good or substantially better than local staff I encounter elsewhere at our consulates/embassies. Same goes for even when I am just observing.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to bring race into this, but potentially my kippa (religious Jew) brought something into it? Twice (out of 2 visits) I was treated quite nastily by local staff
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not to bring race into this, but potentially my kippa (religious Jew) brought something into it? Twice (out of 2 visits) I was treated quite nastily by local staff
Which country, and treated nastily how? It sounded like a reference to the services at the US Embassy in Stockholm. I would be surprised if religion has anything to do with it, especially given what I know about some of these people working for us in Sweden. While they aren't all very friendly, certainly not anywhere close to as bad as I see many other countries' embassies/consulates treat their own citizens even of their own demographic majority background.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The US embassy in Sweden

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.