Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

interesting experience to get a schengen visa....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

interesting experience to get a schengen visa....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Witnessed tons of these rude interviews at the german consulate in CCU and Chicago when I went there to get my passport renewed etc. That said the US consulate in FRA was equally weird to Germans, especially the (presumably low wage) screeners who check the applications. This consulate is used as a best practice training facility for all Europe/Asia consulates The same goes for the Indian consulates too: Munich and Stockholm had some dimwits working the applications ... you just supress your and have a G&T after its done.

That said I know the lady who used to run the German visa desk in CCU (now retired) personally and asked her why she was so rude. It seems frustration set in after a while when you process montains of applications and hundreds of interviews where the applicants try to say what they think you want to hear and not the full truth, which would have been sufficient to grant the visa.
Huh, that's weird. As an American PIO/OCI in FRA, I found the US consulate staff to be polite, helpful, and efficient. But perhaps that is why they have separate lines for Americans and "Everyone else"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Huh, that's weird. As an American PIO/OCI in FRA, I found the US consulate staff to be polite, helpful, and efficient. But perhaps that is why they have separate lines for Americans and "Everyone else"
US ACS-assigned personnel are generally very nice with Americans. My experience with such in a private capacity in many countries on three continents has been very good. However, as different as night and day, the experience of myself as an American dealing in a private capacity with US embassies/consulates will differ from the experience of many a foreign visa applicant ..... especially when dealing with "local" staff/contractors.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
US ACS-assigned personnel are generally very nice with Americans. My experience with such in a private capacity in many countries on three continents has been very good. However, as different as night and day, the experience of myself as an American dealing in a private capacity with US embassies/consulates will differ from the experience of many a foreign visa applicant ..... especially when dealing with "local" staff/contractors.
I don't doubt that for a moment -- I've heard similar accounts from family members who are Indian nationals applying for visas through the consulates in India.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i thought i must give an update of my experience this past saturday evening....

my wife & i were attending a friend's dinner party & the same visa counselor from 4 years ago was there as well....at first i didn't recognize her but kept thinking i had seen her somewhere before....after a while it struck me that this was probably the same girl....

i asked the hostess who this girl was....it turned out she was the wife of one of the host's friends but she didn't know her well or whether she worked for the dutch embassy....curiosity got the better of me so i asked her to introduce me to her....we walked up to her & after the introduction i asked her if she worked at the dutch embassy....she confirmed that she used to work there but hadn't done so for a number of years now....

i then started to narrate the incident that took place & my friend the hostess had a good laugh while this girl seemed a little embarrassed....i asked her why she left her job at the embassy & she said she moved on to another job....i told her i hoped where ever she was working now she was treating the people she came across with a little more respect & humility than she showed me....

my friend sensed the sarcasm in my voice & took it upon herself to find out from common friends what happened with her employment at the dutch embassy....turns out she was asked to leave because the people at the embassy got a few complaints about her & were not happy with her performance....

hopefully the embassy replaced her with someone more respectful & knowledgeable....
Old May 26, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum length of Schengen visa you have been given, and by what Embassy?
Old May 26, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Cris L
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum length of Schengen visa you have been given, and by what Embassy?
over the last 15 years i have usually applied at the french embassy where i have always received a 2 year visa....one time each i applied at the belgian & greek embassies & received a one year visa each time....
Old May 30, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i thought i must give an update of my experience this past saturday evening....

my wife & i were attending a friend's dinner party & the same visa counselor from 4 years ago was there as well....at first i didn't recognize her but kept thinking i had seen her somewhere before....after a while it struck me that this was probably the same girl....

i asked the hostess who this girl was....it turned out she was the wife of one of the host's friends but she didn't know her well or whether she worked for the dutch embassy....curiosity got the better of me so i asked her to introduce me to her....we walked up to her & after the introduction i asked her if she worked at the dutch embassy....she confirmed that she used to work there but hadn't done so for a number of years now....

i then started to narrate the incident that took place & my friend the hostess had a good laugh while this girl seemed a little embarrassed....i asked her why she left her job at the embassy & she said she moved on to another job....i told her i hoped where ever she was working now she was treating the people she came across with a little more respect & humility than she showed me....

my friend sensed the sarcasm in my voice & took it upon herself to find out from common friends what happened with her employment at the dutch embassy....turns out she was asked to leave because the people at the embassy got a few complaints about her & were not happy with her performance....

hopefully the embassy replaced her with someone more respectful & knowledgeable....
Thanks for the update man. Me and my friends are planing a trip to ams in jan and reading your previous post made me think twice about our vacation. This will be my first international trip. Hope they dont ask me such questions
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Great story and I am glad you stuck it to her!
Originally Posted by Keyser

Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
This was a good story for the day. Thanks for the update!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:29 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Indeed interesting experience. From your report it appears that you enjoyed her obvious misunderstanding of your "arbitration".
What language did you communicate in with what accent. Was it Flemish with Chinese accent?
Get over it. And next time when you realize someone did not get your answer - give a full sentence detailed response.
You all forgot that the visa granting personnel needs to be regarded as investigators/police charged with duty not to grant visa to morons, terrorists, and other undesirable elements ;-). Visa is a privilege not a right.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m44
Indeed interesting experience. From your report it appears that you enjoyed her obvious misunderstanding of your "arbitration".
What language did you communicate in with what accent. Was it Flemish with Chinese accent?
Get over it. And next time when you realize someone did not get your answer - give a full sentence detailed response.
You all forgot that the visa granting personnel needs to be regarded as investigators/police charged with duty not to grant visa to morons, terrorists, and other undesirable elements ;-). Visa is a privilege not a right.
yes, it was flemish with a chinese accent....

how did you know that????

wait a minute, are you the same girl who took my interview????

shame on you....learn to treat people with more respect....
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Incredibly amusing story and additional post.

Someone cannot take critisisum?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Jun 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm Reason: Delete
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:10 pm

What a great story and final chapter! I wonder if she was confusing "arbitration" with "operation"...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Perhaps there is the remote possibility that woman at the consulate office issuing the visa mistook "arbitration" as some convoluted variation of the Dutch word "arbeider" which means worker; she may have assumed that the OP was going there looking for work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.