FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Muc-bom-hkg (lh & 9w) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1358566-muc-bom-hkg-lh-9w.html)

flyercity Jun 20, 2012 1:48 am

Muc-bom-hkg (lh & 9w)

Hello everyone,

My itinerary is MUC-BOM-HKG but on two separate tickets.

Will arrive BOM on LH at 2335h. 9W flight for HKG departs 0105h.

Will have boarding passes via online check-in and no check-in luggage but still a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any experience of international to international tranfers at Mumbai airport? Is it possible to transfer directly from international arrivals to international departures? Just a security check? No need to exit airside?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

jasepl Jun 20, 2012 1:57 am

It is possible to get from your your incoming aircraft to the next flight's boarding gate in 15 minutes flat; there's no immigration to clear or bags to fetch. Sahar is really that small and the transit security checkpoint is in a (surprisingly) convenient location.

However, as with everything else in India (and especially at Sahar) everything is dependent on the sun and the stars and the moon. 90 minutes should be plenty in theory, but I wouldn't take that risk, especially with two different airlines on two separate tickets.

And don't bank on being able to OLCI with Jet either.

Keyser Jun 20, 2012 6:58 am

Originally Posted by flyercity (Post 18787344)
Hello everyone,

My itinerary is MUC-BOM-HKG but on two separate tickets.

Will arrive BOM on LH at 2335h. 9W flight for HKG departs 0105h.

Will have boarding passes via online check-in and no check-in luggage but still a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any experience of international to international tranfers at Mumbai airport? Is it possible to transfer directly from international arrivals to international departures? Just a security check? No need to exit airside?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

international to international transfers at bom are pretty simple....in theory, 90 minutes should be enough but i would be hesitant if i had anything less than 2 hours to transit in bom....

SuperFlyBoy Jun 20, 2012 7:50 am

Unless you contact Jet immediately to advise them that you are going to be transiting at BOM onto the HKG flight, you might have to go through immigration/customs, as there really is no "transit desk" as such - sometimes Jet staff try to guide transiting pax, but in the past 3-4 times I've landed at BOM (I land with LH also, usually ex-FRA), never seen them down there before immigration any longer - they concentrate on their transiting pax from their own metal.

flyercity Jun 21, 2012 5:11 am

Thank you very much for the replies.

Just a quick follow-up (since I haven't been to BOM in 19 years): Does that mean there is no gateway from int'l arrivals to int'l departures? Put another way, one has to rely on airline staff unlocking doors etc?

hyderago Jun 21, 2012 5:51 am

Originally Posted by flyercity (Post 18794201)
Thank you very much for the replies.

Just a quick follow-up (since I haven't been to BOM in 19 years): Does that mean there is no gateway from int'l arrivals to int'l departures? Put another way, one has to rely on airline staff unlocking doors etc?

If I recall correctly, this is not the case. Once you get off the flight, you simply follow the signs for transit passengers. You will go through a security check, your boarding pass will be checked and then you will proceed to the terminal. No need to go through passport control whatsoever.

The most important thing for you is (1) to make sure you get the 9W boarding pass before you land in BOM. If you don't, you will find it hard to convince security that you are just a transiting passenger. (2) pray that your flight to BOM is not delayed for any reason.

flyercity Jun 21, 2012 8:44 am

That explains it perfectly. Thanks.