Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Drinking in Mumbai? Time to get a permit or face the fines!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Just noticed this article, sounds that party mood in Mumbai might be getting drier

"Archaic law threatens to dampen Mumbai's spirits"
City authorities are cracking down on illegal drinking after busting a rave party in one of Mumbai's posh neighbourhoods last month.

A 63-year-old prohibition law requiring every adult above the age of 25 to get a drinking permit exists in Maharashtra but it's never been taken seriously -- until the rave party hogged media headlines.

I am heading again to Mumbai soon, interesting to see if my hotel bar is asking for permit or selling one for me?

Full story on Reuters' site: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...85405V20120605
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:16 am

I would go to Mumbai just to get one of these drinking permits.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I would go to Mumbai just to get one of these drinking permits.
Back in the day - or even now - in Pakistan, you can't get a drink unless you have a medical certificate - and an endorsement in your passport - that says you're an alcoholic.

I think the entire english cricket team got one of those endorsements sometime in the 80s just so that they could get a beer on a tour to pakistan.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Tintin_on_the_road
Just noticed this article, sounds that party mood in Mumbai might be getting drier

"Archaic law threatens to dampen Mumbai's spirits"
City authorities are cracking down on illegal drinking after busting a rave party in one of Mumbai's posh neighbourhoods last month.

A 63-year-old prohibition law requiring every adult above the age of 25 to get a drinking permit exists in Maharashtra but it's never been taken seriously -- until the rave party hogged media headlines.

I am heading again to Mumbai soon, interesting to see if my hotel bar is asking for permit or selling one for me?

Full story on Reuters' site: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...85405V20120605
the 25 year old age limit has been around forever, not just in mumbai but pretty much all of india....i've never seen it being enforced though & i doubt this party will change anything....
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
the 25 year old age limit has been around forever, not just in mumbai but pretty much all of india....i've never seen it being enforced though & i doubt this party will change anything....
Indeed, in my college days the rule only seemed to be enforced for the cops to extract some hafta from any students caught buying booze.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hserus
Back in the day - or even now - in Pakistan, you can't get a drink unless you have a medical certificate - and an endorsement in your passport - that says you're an alcoholic.

I think the entire english cricket team got one of those endorsements sometime in the 80s just so that they could get a beer on a tour to pakistan.
Lots of Pakistanis and visitors to Pakistan in the 80s were drinking beer or hard liquor there without any such thing.

Interestingly enough, members of the current Union cabinet sometimes got cheaper (non-Asian) whiskey/scotch when it probably came via Pakistan than when it came into the Indian subcontinent via India directly.

Violation of liquor laws is not just an All-India thing.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, the rule is dusted off whenever a cop wants to get nasty with college kids in Mumbai and some towns in MH. Been there, done that. Never got my permit though... definitely one thing to have!

My german Uncle (who was an alcoholic and turned dry in 1990) got himself a permit for GJ & MH for kicks in 2000 after I explained him what it was. There used to be an agent sitting at BOM domestic arrivals at the tourist info desk who issued foreigners the permits for free. Don't know if that is still around. It was a nice timepass activity if you arrived with foreigners in BOM while waiting at the luggage belt.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Actually, I am now getting quite interested of trying to get one of the "alcoholic" stickers in my passport!
I am off to Mumbai in early July. Does anyone know if you can still get one at the airport?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its not a sticker, but more a card:

in GJ:

The one issued by the tourist info counter in BOM looked like this:

A better goole image search will surely bring up better images.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
At the GH Mumbai just a few weeks ago they started requiring these permits, even in the restaurants. Didn't even mention why they were putting these slips in front of us until we questioned it.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:58 pm

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/pdf/liquor_permit.pdf

http://mumbaicity.gov.in/htmldocs/liquor.htm

Note the penalties...

Possession, consumption, or transportation of alcohol in Maharashtra without a permit can get you fined to Rs 50,000 and/or a prison sentence of up to five years.
The permit only allows the possession, consumption, or transportation of up to twelve units of alcohol.
You must be above 25 (30 in the district of Wardha)

The flip side is most hotels can issue permits for non indian passport holders...
And from a recent news article wine shops as well...

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ne-shop-owners

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.