Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21, 12, 11:42 am   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Goa - "luxury resort" worth it for late May?

I'm setting off on a long holiday, and we're going try our luck starting off in Goa or Kerala for a few days in late may to beat the monsoon and get some (hot, humid) time on the beach / by the pool. After that we'll head on to other activities in Kerala which seem like they'll be less severely adversely affected by the rains, and then up to other parts of India altogether.

For most of the trip we'll likely stay in local accommodation - inexpensive hotels, guesthouses, etc. However I have some money, credit card and loyalty points set aside to stay in nicer boutique / luxury hotels from time to time.

I was originally going to stay at Kovalam or Varkala in Kerala for a few days on the beach and there I planned to stay in something small local and cheap but it seems like a better weather bet to start further north.

My question is, is it worth it to use some of the luxury hotel nights up in Goa (we're traveling all over, but figure we'd be giving up a fancy hotel in Agra, or in Helsinki, or something) to have a nice resort with a quiet beach and good services, or should I find a guesthouse in Baga or elsewhere and would that give me a decent experience despite it being the off season?

If we stay at a chain hotel it would likely be the Park Hyatt, which I know has relatively mixed reviews here, but set that consideration aside for a moment.

Last edited by gline; May 21, 12 at 1:26 pm.
gline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 1:56 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: 9W Silver
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gline View Post
My question is, is it worth it to use some of the luxury hotel nights up in Goa (we're traveling all over, but figure we'd be giving up a fancy hotel in Agra, or in Helsinki, or something) to have a nice resort with a quiet beach and good services, or should I find a guesthouse in Baga or elsewhere and would that give me a decent experience despite it being the off season?
The latter. Goa has some great guesthouses/homestays. You will need air-conditioning in Agra so use the points for a nice hotel with a pool there. HTH
indialogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 2:01 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Thanks - appreciate the quick reply and resolute opinion.

Any recommendations, either on specific guest houses or on a particular town? North beaches? Palolem? Will these areas be pretty shut down the last week of May or still reasonably active?
gline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 3:49 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: 9W Silver
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gline View Post
Any recommendations, either on specific guest houses or on a particular town? North beaches? Palolem? Will these areas be pretty shut down the last week of May or still reasonably active?
I've only stayed in one, called Marbella. It was nice. Friends have stayed in others and had good things to say etc. Check TripAdvisor India for reviews, its mostly accurate. North would be a good option in monsoon - way less crowds and you will have restaurants/couple of clubs open. I prefer South personally but then eating out/partying might be more limited
indialogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 12, 12:44 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by indialogue View Post
You will need air-conditioning in Agra so use the points for a nice hotel with a pool there. HTH
i agree....gline, do you have some spg points????if yes then the itc mughal will be a good choice....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 pm.