Search

Diwali gifts and hostess gifts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:23 am
k2o
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Diwali gifts and hostess gifts

I'm traveling to India for the first time and it happens to be during Diwali.
I will be staying with friends for a few days and I am planning on bringing everyone in family small gifts of appreciation.
I'm bringing local art/type jewelry from art fairs, T-shirts and hats. I also planned on bringing local dried fruits (my region has the BEST dried cherries), spices and candy.
So here is my quandary. As I am going to be here during Diwali what do I give as gifts and when do I give them? I've searched the forum for gift ideas but only found an old thread for office gifting and nothing unique was mentioned. Several sites suggest candles. Would something scented be nice? Small candles or large? Do I keep back part of the hostess gifts and give them during Diwali? I understand the holiday extends several days. Are gifts given every day like with Chanukah or just one day like Christmas? If several days, how many? If 1 day which day are gifts exchanged? Are many gifts exchanged or only one?
I'd appreciate more ideas on gifts and specifically the etiquette. My hostess tells me to just come...don't worry about gifting "you are the gift". She is a sweetie but I'd love to bring something really wonderful. I'd like to buy them something for the home but I've only seen pictures so I have no idea on what to bring.
On a side note, we discuss cooking often, and she tells me they don't use olive oil as it's too expensive. I'd like to buy her some while I'm there (Delhi). Will it be available for sale or should I ship it there?

Thank you for sharing your ideas!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to the india forum....

i think the gifts you are getting would be good enough....no need to give anything else....
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you stick to Traverse city cherries in what ever shape or form you should be good. Remember that indians usually never come across tart cherries so expect some new face expressions
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:41 am
k2o
Original Poster

asst cherries

Then I must bring an assortment of cherries...dried, choc covered, nut + cherry mixes.

Thanks for the input you two ^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Giving every adult iin the house a small gift on Diwali day (see below for kids) would be very much the done thing.. A box of chocolates/bottle of whisky/bottle or two of wine (depending on their drinking habits) for your hosts would be nice on arrival

Your hosts will do the candles.. your bringing them would be redundant. Sweets and dried fruits are the traditional diwali presents (on the actual day) so you are good on that front.

Please use both hands when presenting and receiving gifts. If you can, please shower and change into a brand new set of clothes ( even a kurta churidar /salwar kameez depending on your gender which you can buy at FabIndia ) before Diwali evening begins. Thats very traditional.

If its a North Indian family keep cash in envelopes ready to handout to the kids...(Rs 21 -31 per kid goes well for under 12s, Rs 51 for 12-15s, Rs 101 for 16-18, nothing for those older is what I do but standards and amounts differ -- some families start at RS 101 and go up Note: never Rs 100 Rs 20 etc, its highly ""ïnauspicous"" )

Watch and see what others do before you hug women ( if you are male)/men i(f you are female). Family might hug cross-gender, but sometimes not outsiders. It all depends on the family. In my context everyone hugs but then we also kiss on the cheek which is highly unusual in India...

If people are touching elders feet, I suggest you avoid. It looks rather corny when non-Indians do it unless you strike up a relationship with an aged relative prior to the day and really want to. Its certainly not expected

Excerllent olive oil on sale in Delhi but bloody expensive... Any provision store in Khan market or Defence colony or Vasant Vihar will have them (depending on your location) The supermarkets will not so dont even try.

If there is a religous ceremony please take your shoes off before entering the room. North Indian families will make an offering to the Goddess being worshipped (Lakshmi), typically cash amd so can you, if you like. It wont be expected of you but if you do it simultaneously with the family, its a pleasant way of fitting in. Here I would put Rs 501 if you are under 35 RS 1001 if above . (all cash in envelopes IMO ) but again its all context and contingent on the income levels and habits of the host family....

Hope this helps...

Last edited by rathin100; Aug 17, 2011 at 10:50 am Reason: spelling and syntax
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:39 pm
k2o
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rathin100
Giving every adult iin the house a small gift on Diwali day (see below for kids) would be very much the done thing.. A box of chocolates/bottle of whisky/bottle or two of wine (depending on their drinking habits) for your hosts would be nice on arrival

Your hosts will do the candles.. your bringing them would be redundant. Sweets and dried fruits are the traditional diwali presents (on the actual day) so you are good on that front.

Please use both hands when presenting and receiving gifts. If you can, please shower and change into a brand new set of clothes ( even a kurta churidar /salwar kameez depending on your gender which you can buy at FabIndia ) before Diwali evening begins. Thats very traditional.

If its a North Indian family keep cash in envelopes ready to handout to the kids...(Rs 21 -31 per kid goes well for under 12s, Rs 51 for 12-15s, Rs 101 for 16-18, nothing for those older is what I do but standards and amounts differ -- some families start at RS 101 and go up Note: never Rs 100 Rs 20 etc, its highly ""ïnauspicous"" )

Watch and see what others do before you hug women ( if you are male)/men i(f you are female). Family might hug cross-gender, but sometimes not outsiders. It all depends on the family. In my context everyone hugs but then we also kiss on the cheek which is highly unusual in India...

If people are touching elders feet, I suggest you avoid. It looks rather corny when non-Indians do it unless you strike up a relationship with an aged relative prior to the day and really want to. Its certainly not expected

Excerllent olive oil on sale in Delhi but bloody expensive... Any provision store in Khan market or Defence colony or Vasant Vihar will have them (depending on your location) The supermarkets will not so dont even try.

If there is a religous ceremony please take your shoes off before entering the room. North Indian families will make an offering to the Goddess being worshipped (Lakshmi), typically cash amd so can you, if you like. It wont be expected of you but if you do it simultaneously with the family, its a pleasant way of fitting in. Here I would put Rs 501 if you are under 35 RS 1001 if above . (all cash in envelopes IMO ) but again its all context and contingent on the income levels and habits of the host family....

Hope this helps...
Rathin, thank you for these tips. My friends are Jain, so no wine/alcohol. Would it be wrong to present the jewelry /shirts etc, sometime after arrival..first or second day there? It is good to know to offer the gift with 2 hands (I know not to use the left hand when eating lol) I will save the sweets to give for Diwali.
I do have a kurta,etc to take with me and am planning on buying salwar kameez and other Indian clothing and wearing while there to fit in. Especially during worship.
Regarding the $$ for Diwali, will this be coins? I notice the odd amount which I will be certain to do, but this seems like a small amount...but will follow your advice happy to know these things.
Thanks everyone, for the ideas and customs to follow. I am so looking forward to this trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.