Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Leave airport for a few hours or pay for lounge access in New Delhi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I sincerely apologize if my questions have already been answered in a previous thread, but I've looked all over the forums and can't figure out if the information is current or outdated.

My husband and I will be flying from Toronto to Kolkata, with an 8-hr layover in Delhi, flying into Terminal 3. I've heard that we'll have to find our luggage and go through Immigration/Customs at Delhi airport: is this correct? Does this we have to leave the airport entirely during our layover? If so, is the Radisson attached to the airport still the best place to spend a few hours?

If we needn't leave the airport, is there a lounge at T3 where we can pay a fee to rest for a few hours before our connecting flight? We are flying Jet Airways, in economy.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
The Eaton Smart Transit Hotel in Terminal T3 is now operational. Read this for a discussion on this facility. You can book a room in the domestic portion of the hotel and it can be booked for an overnight stay or in blocks of a few hours. At present the booking is done by email or calling them and not via the traditional secure web page. This may be a much better option than going to the Radisson as you don't have to leave the airport T3 terminal.

Jet Airways (9W) operates out of terminal T3.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bittenkitten
I've heard that we'll have to find our luggage and go through Immigration/Customs at Delhi airport: is this correct?
welcome to ft bittenkitten....yes, you are correct....

Does this we have to leave the airport entirely during our layover?
no....both flights operate out of t3....

If so, is the Radisson attached to the airport still the best place to spend a few hours?
the radisson is not attached to the airport but its a 5 minute drive away....as row2aisle said, the airport hotel is now open so no need to go to the radisson....

If we needn't leave the airport, is there a lounge at T3 where we can pay a fee to rest for a few hours before our connecting flight? We are flying Jet Airways, in economy.
most lounges are paid lounges as well so you can pay a fee & use them before your flight....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:20 am
Suspended

Hello everyone,

I sincerely apologize if my questions have already been answered in a previous thread, but I've looked all over the forums and can't figure out if the information is current or outdated.

My husband and I will be flying from Toronto to Kolkata, with an 8-hr layover in Delhi, flying into Terminal 3. I've heard that we'll have to find our luggage and go through Immigration/Customs at Delhi airport: is this correct? Does this we have to leave the airport entirely during our layover? If so, is the Radisson attached to the airport still the best place to spend a few hours?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you!
You are right that you have to go through customs and immigration in DEL T3. Assuming that 8 hours is the time between arrival from Toronto and departure to Kolkota, effectively you have 5-6 hours layover since it would take about an hour or less to go through customs and immigration and a couple of hours to get to your departure gate domestic part of T3.
There are some eating places in arrivals area where you can easily spend a a few hours with your luggage in tow. If you check into a hotel you will have even less time than that. If you want to save money, the hassle of getting to and from a hotel for a few hours, and not too tired or with children, I would while my time away at one of the eating places in the arrivals area. Two beers, a chicken tikka sandwitch, chicken spring roll and a cup of coffee put me back by about Rs 1000 plus tip, much cheaper than a hotel.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks so very much, everyone!
I've written to the Eaton Smart at T3 to ask if we can access the T-Lounge by paying a fee rather than booking a room for the minimum 5-hour slot. We do have a pretty long flight to DEL, with a stop in Brussels, so I was hoping to be able to freshen up before we both land in Kolkata and are surrounded by family, but not necessarily sleep (I hate short naps).

For everyone's reference, here are the room rates:
5 hrs: INR 3,900
6 hrs: INR 4.650
7 hrs: INR 5,400
8 hrs: INR 6,150
Overnight: INR 6,900

So I'm guessing it wouldn't be a bad idea to call the various lounges and ask for their fees? I'll post back here if/when I get the rates.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Deleted. Duplicate post.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Lounge fees are generally 500 rupees or so per person.

I am not sure if domestic lounges at DEL have showers.

If you really want some rest, best to get that airport hotel room. (is my opinion).
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
At those prices it might be cheaper to go into the city if you have an indian visa
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hserus
At those prices it might be cheaper to go into the city if you have an indian visa
We do (Indian passport and PIO), and we actually have relatives in the city, but rather reluctant to leave for only 5 hours!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by hserus
+1

Thanks so very much, everyone!
I've written to the Eaton Smart at T3 to ask if we can access the T-Lounge by paying a fee rather than booking a room for the minimum 5-hour slot. We do have a pretty long flight to DEL, with a stop in Brussels, so I was hoping to be able to freshen up before we both land in Kolkata and are surrounded by family, but not necessarily sleep (I hate short naps).

For everyone's reference, here are the room rates:
5 hrs: INR 3,900
6 hrs: INR 4.650
7 hrs: INR 5,400
8 hrs: INR 6,150
Overnight: INR 6,900

So I'm guessing it wouldn't be a bad idea to call the various lounges and ask for their fees? I'll post back here if/when I get the rates.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
room rates are quite high IMO.. Its better worth to have a night sight seeing trip of delhi IMO if visa is not a issue or check out other hotels around the airport ..hotel booking sites and TA will be helpful here @:-)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
I am having a similar dilemma now. I have an overnight stay in Delhi, I want to go out, get some food and come back before my 6am flight. I will have baggage and am wondering where I can store it. I don't want to take it with me.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by klashn
I am having a similar dilemma now. I have an overnight stay in Delhi, I want to go out, get some food and come back before my 6am flight. I will have baggage and am wondering where I can store it. I don't want to take it with me.
There is a baggage storage facility in the airport.. IIRC it costs something like INR 400 but am not sure..
http://www.newdelhiairport.in/airport-facilitie.aspx
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
There is a baggage storage facility in the airport.. IIRC it costs something like INR 400 but am not sure..
http://www.newdelhiairport.in/airport-facilitie.aspx
Thanks. It does say a short period of time, I hope that means 6hrs :-)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by klashn
Thanks. It does say a short period of time, I hope that means 6hrs :-)
Whille I have not stored luggage in T3, in other airports u can store for much longer and I feel the same will also be there for delhi T3..
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:55 pm

Question Delhi T3 transit hotel

We are travelling from Delhi to Singapore on a 8:55am flight with Jet airways and to avoid delays, plan to stay at the Eaton transit hotel from 11:00pm the night before. We are travelling with small children and want to avoid any possible delays.

Upon looking at the Eaton hotel website, I have two questions;

1. In one part of there site, they state "For the International wing you need a valid boarding pass". We will not have a boarding pass as the boarding gates only open 3 hours before departure. Also, web checkin is not an option as we are travelling with children and are on a code sharing flight.

2. On another part of the site they state "the 57 rooms at the International Terminal are reserved for transiting passengers or those who have cleared customs". Could someone please advise whether you clear customs without having to checkin onto your flight?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.