Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Leave airport for a few hours or pay for lounge access in New Delhi?

Leave airport for a few hours or pay for lounge access in New Delhi?

Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Slic
We are travelling from Delhi to Singapore on a 8:55am flight with Jet airways and to avoid delays, plan to stay at the Eaton transit hotel from 11:00pm the night before. We are travelling with small children and want to avoid any possible delays.

Upon looking at the Eaton hotel website, I have two questions;

1. In one part of there site, they state "For the International wing you need a valid boarding pass". We will not have a boarding pass as the boarding gates only open 3 hours before departure. Also, web checkin is not an option as we are travelling with children and are on a code sharing flight.

2. On another part of the site they state "the 57 rooms at the International Terminal are reserved for transiting passengers or those who have cleared customs". Could someone please advise whether you clear customs without having to checkin onto your flight?

Thanks in advance for any help.
It's a transit hotel and you would not be in transit, when travelling from Delhi to Singapore. Can you stay in the domestic wing of the hotel?
Does having children preclude one from on-line check-in?

Personal Opinion: It's not really that difficult to get to the airport in time for an 8:55 a.m. flight. Unlike some places, where rush hour for traffic begins as early as 6:00 a.m., fortunately, Delhi rush hour begins when you should already be at the airport. Having to repack your stuff in the transit hotel is a hassle I find unnecessary.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Slic
We are travelling from Delhi to Singapore on a 8:55am flight with Jet airways and to avoid delays, plan to stay at the Eaton transit hotel from 11:00pm the night before. We are travelling with small children and want to avoid any possible delays.

Upon looking at the Eaton hotel website, I have two questions;

1. In one part of there site, they state "For the International wing you need a valid boarding pass". We will not have a boarding pass as the boarding gates only open 3 hours before departure. Also, web checkin is not an option as we are travelling with children and are on a code sharing flight.

2. On another part of the site they state "the 57 rooms at the International Terminal are reserved for transiting passengers or those who have cleared customs". Could someone please advise whether you clear customs without having to checkin onto your flight?

Thanks in advance for any help.
welcome to ft slic....my advice would be to stay at the radisson....its only a 5 minute drive from the airport....
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is a hotel facility available at the airport that is available for domestic arriving passengers long before checking in for an international flight. In such circumstances I'm not sure if the bed arrangements are such in any of its rooms that it would be cheaper than the Radisson, but the Radisson is only several minutes away and could well work out reasonably well too. [The Radisson will charge ordinarily more than 4000 INR for 6 hours overnight.]
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, OW Emerald, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, HH Diamond, Avis First
Overnight 10 PM to 1 PM in DEL with Kingfisher, what to do?

I have a similar question. I have an overnight layover on Kingfisher from HKG to KTM via DEL, getting into DEL around 2200 and leaving around 1300. Which of the following is the best option for me?
1. Stay in the transit lounge (I'm flying Kingfisher, can I do this?)
2. Buy a pass for an airline lounge (I used to be OW emerald, but I've fallen to just ruby now). If so, which lounge?
3. Stay in the T3 transit "pod", which I think charges by the hour
4. Get a transit visa, store my luggage at the airport, get a room somewhere, explore the city in the morning before coming back to DEL to catch my 1PM flight. (Any recommendations on where to go / what to see in such a short time?)
5. Something else?

I'm quite adventurous and would love to see a bit of Delhi, but I would love your insights on whether that is reasonable given my time constraints. I've spent a good portion of my adult life in airline lounges and hotels so I would rather check out a city I've never been to before if it's feasible.

Thanks in advance for all your insights!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Rollerboard
I have a similar question. I have an overnight layover on Kingfisher from HKG to KTM via DEL, getting into DEL around 2200 and leaving around 1300. Which of the following is the best option for me?
i presume both your hkg - del & del-ktm flights are on kingfisher????

1. Stay in the transit lounge (I'm flying Kingfisher, can I do this?)
what class are you flying????spending around 15 hours in the lounge will be painful....

2. Buy a pass for an airline lounge (I used to be OW emerald, but I've fallen to just ruby now). If so, which lounge?
most lounges will give you access for a small fee....but once again, 15 hours is a long time to spend in the lounge....

3. Stay in the T3 transit "pod", which I think charges by the hour
i believe the charge is $9 an hour....if you stayed here for about 12 hours then you are spending a little over $100....you will find it hard to get a hotel room for that much so this is a good option....

4. Get a transit visa, store my luggage at the airport, get a room somewhere, explore the city in the morning before coming back to DEL to catch my 1PM flight. (Any recommendations on where to go / what to see in such a short time?)
this is not a good option....for a 1pm flight you need to be back at the airport by 11am, which means you will probably have to leave your hotel by 10am....not enough time to see anything in the city....

5. Something else?
the sleeping pods seem like your best option....

I'm quite adventurous and would love to see a bit of Delhi, but I would love your insights on whether that is reasonable given my time constraints. I've spent a good portion of my adult life in airline lounges and hotels so I would rather check out a city I've never been to before if it's feasible.
given your time constraints i'm afraid you won't have time to see anything in delhi....
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:33 am

Keyser, thanks so your detailed advice. Sounds like the pods are my best bet, but here are my answers to your questions.

Originally Posted by Keyser
i presume both your hkg - del & del-ktm flights are on kingfisher????
Yes, both segments are on Kingfisher.

Originally Posted by Keyser
what class are you flying????spending around 15 hours in the lounge will be painful....
Unfortunately, I'll be in economy for both legs of the trip. I heard the transit lounge is a zoo, is that true?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, I'll be in economy for both legs of the trip. I heard the transit lounge is a zoo, is that true?
the transit lounge can get pretty crowded & i would definitely not want to spend more than a hour or so there....stick to the pods....they are very comfortable & not that expensive....a night in a hotel will cost you more....
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:47 am

Will do, thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:12 am

My situation:

Getting into New Delhi at 20:00 (8pm) and will be flying out to Kathmandu the following day, 20:00 (8pm). I'd like to stay overnight at the airport hotel, and then go out the next morning for siteseeing. I do realize I need a transit visa, but am I able to stay in the Eaton, and go out? If I go out, will I have to take my bags out with me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.