Search

Transfer of visa with new passport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Transfer of visa with new passport?

Hi,
I just received a new passport and the passport number has changed.

I was planning on traveling to Bangalore, India carrying the new passport along with the old passport that has the Indian entry visa (business). Will I be OK or would it be better to transfer the visa to the new passport?

Everything in the old and new passport are the same, except my face (older) and the passport number.

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:51 pm

Since you appear to be in SF (my former home), India's official visa outsourcing firm for its SF Consulate provides information directly on point.

Visa transfer is recommended but not required by Indian immigration authorities. The only requirement is that the names on the old passport and visa must match exactly with the new passport. It seems that passport numbers almost always change when you renew so visa transfer would appear to be optional (but recommended) for you.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Thanks very much for the response. I am not sure why Travisa recommends this when it seems that it is OK to carry the visa in the old passport with the new passport. I had no issues with other countries and I hear that only Chile is the exception.
So far there does not seems to be any reason to transfer the visa.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no need to transfer the visa....just carry the old passport....
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:53 am
Suspended

One downside of not transferring the visa is that you carry your old pass port, and that gives some CBP goons an opportunity to leaf through another passport and be even more imaginative.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by coterie
Thanks very much for the response. I am not sure why Travisa recommends this when it seems that it is OK to carry the visa in the old passport with the new passport. I had no issues with other countries and I hear that only Chile is the exception. So far there does not seems to be any reason to transfer the visa.

Thanks again.
I had a Singapore visa on my passport and it clearly said to transfer the visa to a new passport before travel..
But I learn that Singapore now gives e-visa which is not stamped on the passport so am not aware of how this works now..
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I had a Singapore visa on my passport and it clearly said to transfer the visa to a new passport before travel..
But I learn that Singapore now gives e-visa which is not stamped on the passport so am not aware of how this works now..
that's always been the case with the singapore visa but till date i have never got it transferred....never had a problem either....
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Keyser
that's always been the case with the singapore visa but till date i have never got it transferred....never had a problem either....
so u travel with new passport and old passport together with visa on old passport even for Singapore where its specifically advised to transfer it to new passport ?
hmmm..
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
so u travel with new passport and old passport together with visa on old passport even for Singapore where its specifically advised to transfer it to new passport ?
hmmm..
currently i have 4 passport booklets with valid visas so i'm forced to carry all of them....i have got 2 additional booklets since i got my latest singapore visa....have been to singapore about a dozen times since then....never had a problem....
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:10 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by Keyser
currently i have 4 passport booklets with valid visas so i'm forced to carry all of them....i have got 2 additional booklets since i got my latest singapore visa....have been to singapore about a dozen times since then....never had a problem....
whats the rule for a schengen? will they transfer a multiple year multi entry schengen to another passport or is it ok by EU countries to carry in old passport?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A2A
whats the rule for a schengen? will they transfer a multiple year multi entry schengen to another passport or is it ok by EU countries to carry in old passport?
have made a couple of trips to brussels since i've got my new passport booklet....they had no problems with the visa being on the old passport....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:23 am

Hi, I have not transferred my singapore visa with my new passport , can I travel ?

Hi, I didn't know that we have to transfer our visa with the passport . I have not done it for singapore n I am travelling tomorrow as my flights are all booked .. will it be a problem if I travel to Singapore with my previous cancelled passport attached having a valid visa till 2020 along with my new passport?
Pls help n revert .. any leads will be helpful.

thanks in advance
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koyal
Hi, I didn't know that we have to transfer our visa with the passport . I have not done it for singapore n I am travelling tomorrow as my flights are all booked .. will it be a problem if I travel to Singapore with my previous cancelled passport attached having a valid visa till 2020 along with my new passport?
Pls help n revert .. any leads will be helpful.

thanks in advance
you won't have a problem....no need to get the visa transferred to the new passport....
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
I can confirm this should fine as long as the names and other details match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.