Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai hotel suggestion: JW Marriott or IC Lalit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold

I will be passsing through Mumbai and need to book a hotel for two nights. The JW Marriott and InterContinental Lalit are amongst our company 'approved' hotels. Out of these two any suggestions?

I guess i don't want to be too far from the airport. Looking for a nice hotel and from where it's easy to spend a day in Mumbai.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I asked the following question on the India forum but I need a quick response and make my booking soon. so I hope i am not violating any forum principles by posting here too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will be passsing through Mumbai and need to book a hotel for two nights. The JW Marriott and InterContinental Lalit are amongst our company 'approved' hotels. Out of these two any suggestions?

I guess I don't want to be too far from the airport. Looking for a nice hotel and from where it's easy to spend a day in Mumbai.

Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I'd go for the Marriot because it is quite close to the airport and on Juhu Beach. The IC is just a nice looking airport hotel (and I'm sure it is nice) with not a lot to do nearby. Five Star hotels in India tend to be pretty good so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by jahason

I guess i don't want to be too far from the airport. Looking for a nice hotel and from where it's easy to spend a day in Mumbai.

I prefer the JW. It's located on the beach (Juhu Beach). Plenty of things to do in the area too. Depending on traffic and what time of day you need to get from/to the airport it could take anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes.

The IC Lalit is a good hotel too and is very close to the international airport. Not too much to do in the area though.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by piyush
I prefer the JW. It's located on the beach (Juhu Beach). Plenty of things to do in the area too. Depending on traffic and what time of day you need to get from/to the airport it could take anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes.

The IC Lalit is a good hotel too and is very close to the international airport. Not too much to do in the area though.
+1..
I stayed at the IC Lalit last year on award stays.. Experience was ok though nothing special to speak out.. My room seemed quite old from the looks of it..
Unless u have a very short transit stay , i would also recommend JW Marriot.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks. i have book JW Marriott. I stayed at this place 7 years ago and it was great then too.

Any suggestions on the best way to go 'downtown'? Last time I took the commuter train from Vila Parle and it seemed to get me close to Gateway of India fairly quickly. Last time I was advised that a taxi would take too long in the Mumbai traffic.

Last edited by jahason; Mar 18, 2011 at 10:20 am
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
I asked the following question on the India forum but I need a quick response and make my booking soon. so I hope i am not violating any forum principles by posting here too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I don't want to be too far from the airport. Looking for a nice hotel and from where it's easy to spend a day in Mumbai.

I've stayed at the IC Lalit, and it is a serviceable option for the airport. It is, what I term, a fading property - it is not impeccably maintained, the wood has scratches, the bathroom fittings are imperfectly arranged, the windows are not crystal clear.

But it is a decent place to stop and recharge - and I have no qualms in staying there again.

However, both your suggestions are far from South Bombay which is where the touristy things are. You could walk down Linking Road in Khar, but both are (relatively) far from the hotel.

If you do decide to visit South Bombay, please make sure that your driver takes the worli sea link - otherwise you might have another 20 to 30 min wait in traffic.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
If you want to stay at a safe secure location go to the JW. Its where most Indian and other stars stay. They will pick you up from the airport and drop you off. Security to get on the property.

A small tip goes a long way and the people that work there will go out of their way for you. Also a nice private beach that is patroled by their security. Pool area is beautiful and always people around to provide service.

Watch out for them trying to upgrade you to their executive level if your not going to be there alot during your stay.

My wife has stayed there over a moth in the last year. She says that she has stayed at much nicer 5 stars else where but for the security its the only place I let her go to.

Also they also have a very good car service to take you into Mumbai.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thanks. i have book JW Marriott. I stayed at this place 7 years ago and it was great then too.
i have stayed here a bunch of times....definitely one of the better hotels in the city....

Any suggestions on the best way to go 'downtown'? Last time I took the commuter train from Vila Parle and it seemed to get me close to Gateway of India fairly quickly. Last time I was advised that a taxi would take too long in the Mumbai traffic.
what time of the day are you planning on going downtown????
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The JW Marriott is very secure but I did find the decor dated and the rooms a bit tired. Their airport pickup service is amazing though, you get treated like royalty. I have reviewed this hotel in my Mumbai trip report.

I don't know of the other hotel, but I stayed at the Grand Hyatt which was fantastic.

Just a warning, travelling around Mumbai can be a nightmare, with long car journeys stuck in traffic. Just bear that in mind when you are planning your day. Whichever hotel you stay at, ask them to arrange a taxi. AVOID the 'local' black and yellow cabs and stick with the 'coolcabs' (blue and white) or 'meru taxis' (green), they tend to be reputable and also have aircon!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:21 am

+1 for Grand Hyatt, fairly new property, 20-30mins from airport, lots of visible security, good gym, nice pool and good food options.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Grand Hyatt had terrible plumbing issues, to the point where we put it on the embargo list. None of us have been back since.

Marriott is a decent property if a little bit dated but certainly with more atmosphere than any of the airport hotels.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
My off the beaten track suggestion is the Sun 'n Sand. Get the most expensive room and you still have enough change for a curry...

Why stay in one of the US chains if you can get the real Indian thing? I never understood that.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
My off the beaten track suggestion is the Sun 'n Sand. Get the most expensive room and you still have enough change for a curry...

Why stay in one of the US chains if you can get the real Indian thing? I never understood that.
Having just looked at the link for this hotel, I think it provides a very good reason to stay at an American hotel!!

Best hotel in Mumbai is the Oberoi I feel (which is Indian owned), but apart from that, all the other best options are non-Indian owned. The Taj is a touristy dump unless you go for one of the flashy new suites in the old part.

Not sure if it's of interest, but the Hyatt has probably one of the best bar/clubs in Mumbai, China House. I always have a night out in there when in Mumbai
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On one trip we were booked in the Pune Sun and Sand. On subsequent trips I stayed in Le Meridien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.