Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 3, 11, 6:50 am   #1

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold
Tailor in Mumbai

Wonder if anyone can recommend a tailor who can fix a suit / trousers/shirt within a few days. 72 Hrs to be exact. Ideally they will visit my hotel. I am hoping to carry the fabric with me. Thank you.
MilesAndMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 11, 3:47 pm   #2
2014 Elections

Programs: QF WP (OWE) | VA Plat | HH Diamond | Hyatt Diamond
All Raymonds company owned stores have in house tailors and should be able to go a good job of your request.

What area is your hotel in?
Old Mar 3, 11, 8:28 pm   #3

Thank you. I am intending to stay in Bandra Kurla complex. Should I get the material or is Raymonds material good enough?
Old Mar 4, 11, 12:54 am   #4
2014 Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore View Post
Thank you. I am intending to stay in Bandra Kurla complex. Should I get the material or is Raymonds material good enough?
Did you want to purchase new suits or fix/repair existing ones? From your first post, I thought it was the latter.

Raymond's material is good enough. All my suits are Raymond's, made to measure. My most recent suit purchase was a year and a half ago, and 3 jackets and 3 trousers (i.e. 3, two-piece suits) cost me just shy of INR 41,000 all up. You'll certainly find a broad range of quality at a Raymond's company store. If you are in Bandra Kurla Complex, and don't mind hiking around to Chembur East, I could flick you the contact details of the Raymonds store I've used in the past.

Alternately, finding a Raymond's store in Bandra East shouldn't be too hard either.

Last edited by SQ421; Mar 4, 11 at 8:08 pm. Reason: Fixed math.
SQ421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 11, 7:06 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2014 Elections

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore View Post
Should I get the material or is Raymonds material good enough?
raymonds has pretty good material....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:27 am   #6

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
I had 2 bespoke shirts tailored at the Breach Candy Raymonds - and I get a lot of compliments on them.

The only drawback is that they have practically no wrinkle-free shirt fabric - which is a pain in the US since I have no one here to iron for me.
doubled79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 11, 10:46 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post

Alternately, finding a Raymond's store in Bandra East shouldn't be too hard either.
thanks i think i can find the store. appreciate the help.
Old Mar 11, 11, 11:26 am   #8

Programs: UA Silver
In several visits to India, I had suits or trousers tailor-made. Every time, Indian acquaintances here in the US take one look and say, "You got those in India, didn't you?"

Men's clothing style in India is totally different than in the US, and I have yet to find a tailor who knows how to make an American-looking pair of pants. If anyone knows of one in Mumbai, please post!
snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 11, 7:23 pm   #9
2014 Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by snic View Post
Men's clothing style in India is totally different than in the US, and I have yet to find a tailor who knows how to make an American-looking pair of pants. If anyone knows of one in Mumbai, please post!
I know you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and prefer HFCS to sugar in your processed food, but only now did I realize the pant's are different too !!!

On a serious note, I'm guessing you refer to the smaller details like the way a trouser falls on the shoes and such. If you bring along a pair of "American looking" pants, I'm sure a tailor would be able to copy it.

FWIW, my suits are all tailored in India and they don't stand out in Australia one bit. So I'm really curious to know what the differences are between an American looking pair of pants and pants as worn elsewhere.
Old Mar 15, 11, 9:13 am   #10

Programs: UA Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
On a serious note, I'm guessing you refer to the smaller details like the way a trouser falls on the shoes and such. If you bring along a pair of "American looking" pants, I'm sure a tailor would be able to copy it.

FWIW, my suits are all tailored in India and they don't stand out in Australia one bit. So I'm really curious to know what the differences are between an American looking pair of pants and pants as worn elsewhere.
Ha, the suits don't stand out as much as the pants. I honestly can't quite put my finger on it - I'm not the kind of person who thinks a lot about clothes (but I also don't want to look like I'm wearing the grown-up equivalent of exchange student jeans). It's something about how high they ride at the waist and the enormous amount of material the tailer leaves at the cuff (i.e., my American pants have about 3/4" of mateial between the fold and the seam; the Indian tailors I've used like to leave 2" or so -- maybe because this facilitates lengthening the pants if they accidently make them too short??)

Of course, I could just tell the tailor not to leave such a big cuff, but the other problems are so subtle I can't even describe them. Maybe you're right that I should try bringing my favorite pair of pants to the tailor and telling him to copy them exactly (provided I can find the right material, which is actually not easy for a non-expert).

Anyway, all this boils down to, "I want a tailor in Mumbai who can tell at one glance what I want, pick the material, and make it for me at half the price of Macy's. Oh, and he also needs to decide what color I like best, because I sure as heck don't know!"
snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 11, 3:11 am   #11
2014 Elections

Quote:
It's something about how high they ride at the waist and the enormous amount of material the tailer leaves at the cuff (i.e., my American pants have about 3/4" of mateial between the fold and the seam; the Indian tailors I've used like to leave 2" or so -- maybe because this facilitates lengthening the pants if they accidently make them too short??)
Ah. Gotcha.

Haven't had a problem with the "pants riding too high on the waist". I wear my pants at the waist and never had any issues having them measure the pants exactly where I intend to wear them.

Many people in India (my old man included) seems to wear them closer to the belly button. Easily fixed by wearing the pant you'd like them copied, and they'll take the measurements at where that pant is presently sitting.

Quote:
Of course, I could just tell the tailor not to leave such a big cuff, but the other problems are so subtle I can't even describe them.
I always found having cuffs on one's pants to seem very school boy like. Personally, I prefer the pants to be without them. I think cuff's on pants are a very north american thing as I've seen quite a few of my colleagues and friends have them on their khakis/chinos/casual trousers.

Most suit/pant materials in the 100s/120s range should be fine for usual formal wear. Most tailoring places will also carry cloth for khakis/chinos type pants.
Old Mar 17, 11, 1:59 pm   #12

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Another vote for Raymonds. They normally take much longer than 72 hours but might be able to get it done. Also most likely they will not visit your hotel. The last 2 piece suit I got made from them cost me about $ 400. I think ~ $ 100 - $ 150 of this was for the tailoring and the balance for the fabric.
piyush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 6:03 am   #13

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
If you want to go the whole hog - there are bespoke tailors with much higher quality (and much higher prices)

I've heard of Vaish in DEL, Kachins in BOM, not used them.

I have used Syed Bawkher & Co in MAA for a suit and a couple of shirts and I can recommend them. www.syedbawkher.com - and MAA is like 1:45 hours and a hundred buck roundtrip ticket in Y from BOM
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 12, 5:42 am   #14

Programs: AA EXP/LT Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gld, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Plat
I'm currently in Mumbai and have a sudden urge to have a couple suits made. I'm here for another week, leaving for about a week, and then will be back for a couple more weeks.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a medium-high end tailor who can make some sort of euro-fit suit, as well as a price estimate? First hand experience would be especially helpful.

Thank you!
troyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 12, 9:59 am   #15

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
I'm currently in Mumbai and have a sudden urge to have a couple suits made. I'm here for another week, leaving for about a week, and then will be back for a couple more weeks.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a medium-high end tailor who can make some sort of euro-fit suit, as well as a price estimate? First hand experience would be especially helpful.

Thank you!
What's your budget?

If you're looking to spend between $ 300 - $ 600 I would recommend Raymond's. I've used the one at Breach Candy and have been happy with the quality of the suit.

If you’re looking to spend more than $ 600 you can also check out a place called Just Men Just Kidding in Cumbala Hill. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve purchased from them but have always been very happy with the results. They tend to have more design options and are better at customizing to your taste.
piyush is offline   Reply With Quote