Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing: What To Wear In India?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Packing: What To Wear In India?

I'm leaving for India in two weeks and am starting to get excited and plan a bit in terms of packing. I've done a bit of research online and haven't been too successful in getting advice on appropriate clothing to bring with me. All the articles focus on what women should wear while in India, nothing for me. I'm interested in a climate, convienence, and cultural tutorial on dressing.

Are shorts appropriate, or should I invest in lightweight pants? Sandals? Tennis shoes? T shirts or button up, loose cotton shirts?

I'm curious if anyone has experience or advice. Thank you!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by ORDinaryJoe
I'm leaving for India in two weeks and am starting to get excited and plan a bit in terms of packing. I've done a bit of research online and haven't been too successful in getting advice on appropriate clothing to bring with me. All the articles focus on what women should wear while in India, nothing for me. I'm interested in a climate, convienence, and cultural tutorial on dressing.

Are shorts appropriate, or should I invest in lightweight pants? Sandals? Tennis shoes? T shirts or button up, loose cotton shirts?

I'm curious if anyone has experience or advice. Thank you!
You can wear any of the above and be fine.

Some cities have a mosquito problem and you are best off with full-sleeves.
Dont forget to take "OFF" !! to OFF the mosquitoes!

Sandals are fine for most places.

If you plan to visit certain temples in the state of Kerala (South India), they require Indian outfits.
Otherwise, you should be fine with regular clothes.

Which part of the country are you going to? We could talk about temperatures, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snod08
You can wear any of the above and be fine.

Some cities have a mosquito problem and you are best off with full-sleeves.
Dont forget to take "OFF" !! to OFF the mosquitoes!

Sandals are fine for most places.

If you plan to visit certain temples in the state of Kerala (South India), they require Indian outfits.
Otherwise, you should be fine with regular clothes.

Which part of the country are you going to? We could talk about temperatures, etc.
We're doing the typical Golden Triangle tour for first time visitors, Delhi/Agra/Jaipur and assorted cities inbetween.

I love sandals but was worried about going into temples, and also the crowds that might make mince meat of my feet... haha.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:58 am

We're doing the typical Golden Triangle tour for first time visitors, Delhi/Agra/Jaipur and assorted cities inbetween.
Should be fun!

I love sandals but was worried about going into temples, and also the crowds that might make mince meat of my feet... haha.
LOL!! its not that bad. You will survive. Sandals are easier to leave outside temples ....
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:18 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Not to hijack the thread, but what about leather (from cows, not camels or other animals). OK to wear in India? I have a neighbor who says no, but I can't seem to find anything online.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Sandals are great but your feet will get FILTHY real quick. India is not as clean as the USA.

I prefer hiking boots since the pavement is not the best in India and your feet do not take a beating like they would in sandals.

Light slacks would be best everywhere if you do not want to be bitten by mosquitoes.

Have fun !
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Not to hijack the thread, but what about leather (from cows, not camels or other animals). OK to wear in India? I have a neighbor who says no, but I can't seem to find anything online.
Leather what?

Pants? Shirts?

Eating beef is forbidden in Hindu religion but people wear leather shoes, have leather belts and walltes.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
You dont really see people wearing full leather outfits in India (except maybe in movies or some after hours party, etc).

people wear leather shoes, belts, etc all the time.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice all. Just a few follow ups:

Re: Sandals - Would slip on shoes be better? I'm not a fan of hiking boots or anything that laces up in general.

Also, I was leaning in the direction of lightweight pants. Any one have any suggestions on brands/locations to buy some? Most places I've been here in Chicago seem to have thicker, heavier material.

Any suggestions on shirts? Are tshirts going to be okay, or should I aim for soemthing else? I don't mind being a tourist but also don't want to stand out in my blue graphic print tshirt if everyone wears white button downs, etc...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat

Re: Sandals - Would slip on shoes be better? I'm not a fan of hiking boots or anything that laces up in general.

Also, I was leaning in the direction of lightweight pants. Any one have any suggestions on brands/locations to buy some? Most places I've been here in Chicago seem to have thicker, heavier material.

Any suggestions on shirts? Are tshirts going to be okay, or should I aim for soemthing else? I don't mind being a tourist but also don't want to stand out in my blue graphic print tshirt if everyone wears white button downs, etc...
Pretty much anything goes. Like other posters have said, some places require specific clothing (or lack of it, in some other place ). But by and large, should be fine. Do note, that if you plan to go to a nightclub of at least decent repute (not those highly questionable types), shoes are a must.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:25 am

Slip on shoes would be best since they would be very easy to take off and on at temples.

Light cotton tshirts would be best.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:59 am

ORDinary Joe, shorts are not a good idea, particularly if you plan to visit religious sites. For example, men are forbidden entry to mosques & (IIRC, also) gurdwara if their knees are bare - you'll be asked to rent a lunghi to cover your legs. Long pants are always best, Indians are pretty conservative in how both women & men dress & as pointed out, there's the bug issue (make sure you pack spray). Make sure you keep a clean large handkerchief or scarf handy too - men will be expected to cover their heads when visiting certain religious sites too (gurdwara in particular).

If you're concerned about not having light weight pants, they are easy & cheap to pick up there - head to FabIndia or any casual menswear place & pick up a couple of pairs of cotton pajamas (these are day wear pants) & a matching kurta (long shirt) to wear. I also like linen or cotton cargos & chinos from Old Navy for traveling in India, they are lightweight & its not a disaster if the laundry there destroys them.

Sept in the north can get chilly in the evenings so make sure you take a suitable outer garment (I swear by my LL Bean fleece).

Def take slip on shoes, you'll need to remove them frequently.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zaara
ORDinary Joe, shorts are not a good idea, particularly if you plan to visit religious sites. For example, men are forbidden entry to mosques & (IIRC, also) gurdwara if their knees are bare - you'll be asked to rent a lunghi to cover your legs. Long pants are always best, Indians are pretty conservative in how both women & men dress & as pointed out, there's the bug issue (make sure you pack spray). Make sure you keep a clean large handkerchief or scarf handy too - men will be expected to cover their heads when visiting certain religious sites too (gurdwara in particular).

If you're concerned about not having light weight pants, they are easy & cheap to pick up there - head to FabIndia or any casual menswear place & pick up a couple of pairs of cotton pajamas (these are day wear pants) & a matching kurta (long shirt) to wear. I also like linen or cotton cargos & chinos from Old Navy for traveling in India, they are lightweight & its not a disaster if the laundry there destroys them.

Sept in the north can get chilly in the evenings so make sure you take a suitable outer garment (I swear by my LL Bean fleece).

Def take slip on shoes, you'll need to remove them frequently.
Okay so slip on shoes seems to be universally suggested, good to know. But there seems to be some confusion on pants vs. shorts. Is it that shorts are acceptable in everyday life but not for religious site visits? Or are you saying that bare legs in general is not a good idea since Indians are conservative?

And does September really get that cold at night in the Delhi area? We were lead to believe it was very hot and would remain so.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:22 pm

Is it that shorts are acceptable in everyday life but not for religious site visits? Or are you saying that bare legs in general is not a good idea since Indians are conservative?
Sorry for not being clearer - absolutely no shorts at religious sites (e.g. Jama Masjid or Gurudwara Bangla Sahib in Delhi). Also generally bad idea as Indian men rarely wear them - bugs, sunburn, religious dictates etc mean they go for long & loose in very lightweight fabrics; if you wear shorts (particularly if they cut off above the knee) you'll get a lot of stares on the streets which may be unwelcome.

Weather is not cold in absolute terms, but you'll face a 30 plus degree swing in temps in any given day & it feels chilly in comparison in the evening in Delhi (Rajasthan has less swing), but if you plan to head north (Amritsar, Shimla etc) you will def need a light weight top layer.

Last edited by Zaara; Aug 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:38 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by anaggie
Leather what?

Pants? Shirts?

Eating beef is forbidden in Hindu religion but people wear leather shoes, have leather belts and walltes.
Originally Posted by snod08
You dont really see people wearing full leather outfits in India (except maybe in movies or some after hours party, etc).

people wear leather shoes, belts, etc all the time.
Trust me, you wouldn't want to see me in leather pants.

I meant leather belts, shoes, etc., which appear to be ok. My neighbor is going in October and keeps insisting you can't wear anything made of (cow) leather. I didn't believe her, which is why I came to the authorities here on FT. ^

Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.