Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:55 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by mihaid
Hi Guys,

I will be doing an international-to-international transit in BOM T2, switching from MH to LX (single ticket itinerary, issued by LX). I will be arriving at BOM at 22:25 (MH194 from KUL) and leaving BOM at 00:55 (LX155 to ZRH), so a 2h30m connection. I will check luggage at KUL, to my final destination.
From what I've read in the 33 pages of this thread, there should be no issues with this connection, other than me having to get my LX boarding pass at the BOM transfer desk, since I doubt MH will issue my LX boarding pass. Anything for me to worry about regarding this connection?
I have arrived and departed from BOM a few times before, but so far BOM has always been my destination/origin and have never transited here before.

Thanks for any input.
Just wanted to report back after I have done this transit in BOM from MH to LX, two days ago. I was quite nervous about it, so I expected the worse, but everything went fine (if rather slow).
Before departure from KUL, the MH check-in agent tagged my bag all the way through (as expected) but could not get me the LX boarding passes and explained I need to get them in BOM (also, as expected).
When disembarking at BOM, there was an airport employee who was waiting for transit passengers. There has been a little bit of a wait as we had to be patient for all passengers to disembark and then we finally made our way to the transfer desk. There was no LX agent as such, but there was an SQ agent (or maybe a *A agent?) who helped us. By help I mean the agent had to HANDWRITE the boarding passes for each passenger (luckily we were only two passengers connecting from MH to LX) and apply a stamp/chop on them. I have asked the lady agent why she had to write the boarding passes by hand and she explained we will get printed boarding passes at the gate before boarding but we could not get them at the transfer desk and we would not be allowed through security without boarding passes so this was the only way.
We went through security and then we were finally in the departures area, about 55-60 min after disembarking. We got proper LX printed boarding passes at the gate.
One thing I want to mention is that during this transit in BOM I had three people checking my passport: the agent at the transfer desk, the security guy and the gate agent. By contrast, when transiting (also international to international, but AI to AI) in DEL about 6 weeks ago, SEVEN people had to check my passport:
- after disembarking, before being alowed to go to the transit area rather than to immigration
- before reaching the security queue
- at security, just before passing through the metal detector
- right AFTER passing through the metal detector (yes, two passport checks within 2 meters from each other)
- at the gate, before boarding (everyone had to queue up for "documents check", before boarding)
- at the gate when having the boarding pass scanned
- after boarding pass scan, just before entering the aircraft
Luckily, I did not have to get any boarding pass in DEL, as that would have probably added the 8th passport check :-)
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:57 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Hi,

quick question since things change everyday in Mumbai transfer process. My wife is flying BLR-BOM-ZRH-IAD. She has the entire trip in a single PNR# traveling in Business class. AI610-LX155-UA53.

I believe that the baggage will be checked all the way to IAD from BLR. I am assuming that she will have the clear customs/immigration in BOM. So, is there a transit process or will she have to leave the airport and re-enter the International departures area?

I would greatly appreciate any information.

thanks and best regards

DD
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Painless transfer in BOM. Report to LX check-in for a lounge invite and to verify the apis data.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:54 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
thanks oliver2012, your information is always right on the money. It certainly gives me peace of mind knowing it will not be a hassle.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:39 pm

I m travelling COK to YYZ, single ticket issued by Air Canada.

COK-BOM on jet airways,
BOM-YYZ on air Canada.

I have gone through the first page and a few other pages in this thread.

Can someone please confirm the below points .

​​​​​​My luggage will be checked in all the way to YYZ. I will not have to change the terminal in BOM and emigration check happens in BOM.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by Toronto1
​​​​​​My luggage will be checked in all the way to YYZ. I will not have to change the terminal in BOM and emigration check happens in BOM.
Confirmed, you just go from the domestic to the international wing in BOM T2, immigration occurs there.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Hi guys,

I'm booked on BLR-BOM-SIN, traveling with hand baggage only. All instructions on transiting mention that I should collect my checked baggage, then go to the "intra-terminal coach" to T2. My BLR flight arrives to T2, and SIN flight leaves from the same terminal.

Since I don't have any checked baggage, what's the correct (and quickest) transfer procedure?

Thanks!

Last edited by hdogan; Aug 10, 2017 at 1:34 am Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by hdogan
Hi guys,

I'm booked on BLR-BOM-SIN, traveling with hand baggage only. All instructions on transiting mention that I should collect my checked baggage, then go to the "intra-terminal coach" to T2. My BLR flight arrives to T2, and SIN flight leaves from the same terminal.

What's the correct (and quickest) transfer procedure?

Thanks!
No terminal transfer. If it's the same airline you shouldn't need to collect luggage.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Keyser
based on my experience from earlier today, i'm glad i didn't book the 3am 9w flight....

my international flight landed half hour late & by the time we taxied to the gate it was 2:15am....getting to immigration & crossing it took another 20 minutes & by the time i was at the transfer desk it was past 2:45am....no way i could have made the 3am flight....

transfer was a breeze though & i was in the lounge around 3am....
Also glad that I didn't do the 3 am flight out of BOM. The flight from CAI was almost an hour late. While everything else was fairly quick, I only managed to get to the 9W transfer desk a little after 3 am. There was only one counter, and it took some time to get my new boarding pass (couldn't OLCI-- possibly on account of international credit card since that happened with me on Vistara as well).

The lines at the neighboring Air India counter were even longer.

The 6 am departure worked very well. The Loyalty Lounge was quite nice. Was no GVK though.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Lounge Access / Day room in Mumbai

Hello all,

I needed some guidance on Mumbai lounge access for a long (super) layover I've there..

I'll be travelling ATL to Mumbai via Istanbul on TK business class and arriving early morning 5AM into BOM. My connecting flight from BOM to AMD is in late afternoon (All flights on same PNR, all flights in T2). I've about 11 hours of layover.

What are my options for lounge/ day-bed or killing time out there? All my flights are in business class and I've priority pass as well.. so can probably do some lounge jumping (to get around time limits of lounge).

I would love to catch up for 2-3 hours of sleep if possible, definitely a shower, etc. But I'm not sure how India customs and arrivals work, since I'll be arriving from US, I would go through customs and then out of the airport, and the airport people may not let me in to lounge on airside due to such a long layover.

Any suggestions on this situation?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by charms81
Hello all,

I needed some guidance on Mumbai lounge access for a long (super) layover I've there..

I'll be travelling ATL to Mumbai via Istanbul on TK business class and arriving early morning 5AM into BOM. My connecting flight from BOM to AMD is in late afternoon (All flights on same PNR, all flights in T2). I've about 11 hours of layover.

What are my options for lounge/ day-bed or killing time out there? All my flights are in business class and I've priority pass as well.. so can probably do some lounge jumping (to get around time limits of lounge).

I would love to catch up for 2-3 hours of sleep if possible, definitely a shower, etc. But I'm not sure how India customs and arrivals work, since I'll be arriving from US, I would go through customs and then out of the airport, and the airport people may not let me in to lounge on airside due to such a long layover.

Thanks!
You'd exit customs at T2 but remain inside the terminal, however it's unlikely that you will be able to check your bags for the onward flight or that security would allow you into the domestic airside area that far in advance.

Also AFAIK the only lounge is the GVK lounge. The international one is quite nice, haven't seen the domestic.

Just get a hotel near the hotel, there are several.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:15 am

No arrival lounge access in intl, the two domestic lounges don't really have sleeping facilities. Get a day room in a nearby hotel or at the in-terminal Niranta.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
They won't allow you into the domestic departures area until 4 hours prior to departure. The GVK domestic lounge is excellent.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Any advice for this one: Arriving BOM 9:45 P.M via SQ Suites. Will need to collect luggage for a 5:00 A.M BOM-SEZ on Air Seychelles in E.
Lounge advice?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by charms81
Hello all,

Thanks!
what airline is your BOM-AMD flight on? if AI, is it really an international flight? (EWR-BOM-AMD used to be international flight with customs done at AMD)

if flight is on 9W, I thought one could make a left after customs and get rid of luggage tathe transfer desk as this is single PNR. is that still correct? (at least for 9W)

OP, do post here after your trip as situation keep changing at BOM when it comes to transfer and would like to wiki as accurate as possible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.